Firmware Update

Ask questions about the GEM here.
jgt1942

Firmware Update

Post by jgt1942 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:44 am

OK I got a few dumb users questions. I've had my two GEM setup for quite sometime but never did anything with it. I'm now at the point where I need to move forward.
GEM #1
Serial#: 01100087
COM firmware ver: 4.0
ENG firmware ver: 1.49
RealTime Status: ON
Packet Send Interval: 8
Pri. Packet Format: 3
Sec. Packet Format: 0
Sys Status: OK

GEM #2
Serial#: 01100139
COM firmware ver: 4.0
ENG firmware ver: 1.49
RealTime Status: ON
Packet Send Interval: 8
Pri. Packet Format: 4
Sec. Packet Format: 0
Sys Status: OK

I see that there is a COM firmware update available but I'm not sure just what it will do for me. I did download it and also the GEM Network Utility v7 and will admit that I'm totally blown out of the water when it comes to using the utility. I did download the PDF "GEM Configuration Manual GEM-CFG" but it did not help me and I'm surprised to see that it is for GEM v3.1 and last updated over 3 years ago. One of the major issues I have with the manual is that it will identify some setting and I then spend several minutes trying to find the setting and often I'm not sure if I really did find the setting. MORE pictures would be very helpful.

OK I got that off my chest. How in the heck do I update to the latest "COM firmware", I have downloaded GEM_C_Firmware_4.22_.fmw and I understand I should use the GEM Network Utility. My GEMs are connected to my ethernet network and I can access them via the browser.
jgt1942
Teken

Re: Firmware Update

Post by Teken » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:05 am

Hello,

You need only update the firmware if you believe it offers features, resolves bugs, in your system. Meaning if your system is running perfectly fine you can leave it exactly as it is. If however you wish to upgrade to the next firmware release - Just because. :lol:

1. Install the GEM Network Utility and run it as *Administrator*.

2. At the top select TCP Client and enter the port and IP address of the GEM.

3. Ethernet Tab: As of this writing this is optional but I always complete this portion first for the highest success rate. Press *Search* the system will find your GEM. At the upper right is the COMM Settings -> Firmware Mode. Set Baud rate to 115200 and select save.

Ensure the pop up window indicates a successful write to the GEM. If not do it again until it does otherwise you will have issues.

4. Firmware Tab: Under the *Connection* select Open the status window will turn green if its connected. Press Get GEM Info the two white field box's will populate all the settings and parameters of your GEM.

The system (may) pop up an error message about can't connect, serial number is not valid, error blah blah. Ignore it and keep pressing the Get GEM Info until it populates.

5. Firmware: The system will have auto populated the *Current* COM & Engine firmware in place now. At the bottom select *File* and browse to the 4.22 COM firmware where ever it is and select *Start*.

It will take anywhere from 30-120 seconds to complete and then the system will log out and reboot. Wait about 35 seconds for the GEM to reboot and complete its POST.

Repeat the process to connect to the GEM in step 4. This step is to confirm the firmware was properly loaded and is represented in the two Firmware COM / Engine Ver windows.

If so you may press the *Close* button at the top right . . .

6. Go back to the Ethernet Tab and change the COMM Settings back to *Normal* and select (Save Settings). Again a pop up window will appear confirming this task is complete. If an error message appears ignore it and continue until this step is completed.

Questions?
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10