Can no longer connect to GEM - Ethernet only model

Ask questions about the GEM here.
cschild

Can no longer connect to GEM - Ethernet only model

Post by cschild » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:22 pm

I'm stuck and hoping I'm doing something wrong.

Symptom: Cannot connect to the GEM using Network Utility Ver7.0 even though performing a "Search" on the Ethernet Only tab successfully finds the device. Also cannot connect using a web browser. When using the Network Utility, I get a pop-up dialog box reading "Could not connect!" after clicking the Open button in the Connection area.

Things I've tried:
1) Pinging the GEM. This is successful with response times <1ms.
2) Unplugging the GEM and trying again.
3) Unplugging the GEM, removing the battery, waiting ~1min, and trying again.
4) Trying each of the Baud rates.
5) Normal vs Firmware Mode in Comm Setting
6) Connecting as TCP Server
7) "F1" Push button sequence function

Everything I've tried had the same result "Could not connect!" I searched through the forums here and found connection issue threads, but nothing quite like this and most of them had some level of success trying the things in my list above.

Any ideas? My IP settings are in the SS below.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
GEMNetSettings.jpg
GEMNetSettings.jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
ben
Site Admin

Re: Can no longer connect to GEM - Ethernet only model

Post by ben » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am

The Ethernet module setup runs separately from the GEMs setup; therefore, if you can see the Ethernet module, it's likely nothing to do with the GEM side of things (removing the battery, etc. won't do anything).

What could be happening is an IP conflict. Your router may have assigned another device on your network the same IP address so I would first try the following:

- Set it to DHCP.
- Rescan.
- Try the IP assigned to it.

If that doesn't work:

- Set it to Server mode.
- Increase the Idle time to 30 seconds.
- Change the Local Port to 8000.
- Change the TCP Client port at the top to 8000.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
cschild

Post by cschild » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks, Ben. My router doesn't assign DHCP addresses above .99 (I set it that way so all static addresses are 100-200), but I tried setting it to DHCP anyways. It got a new address and then I tried pinging the old static address of .102 and that didn't work. Using DHCP, it still wouldn't connect. I've ruled out an IP address conflict.

I then tried the server mode, idle time change, etc. and then I was able to connect. After that, I upgraded the the COM f/w and then set it back a static IP, 8 sec idle time, and port 80. Everything is working as expected. So thanks for the tips. I'm not sure what happened here, but I'll make note of this process in case this happens again.

Thanks again.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 am

cschild wrote:Thanks, Ben. My router doesn't assign DHCP addresses above .99 (I set it that way so all static addresses are 100-200), but I tried setting it to DHCP anyways. It got a new address and then I tried pinging the old static address of .102 and that didn't work. Using DHCP, it still wouldn't connect. I've ruled out an IP address conflict.

I then tried the server mode, idle time change, etc. and then I was able to connect. After that, I upgraded the the COM f/w and then set it back a static IP, 8 sec idle time, and port 80. Everything is working as expected. So thanks for the tips. I'm not sure what happened here, but I'll make note of this process in case this happens again.

Thanks again.
What can happen in Mixed mode is that if the Client connection is held open too long by incoming/outgoing packets, it will not be able to serve a Server connection.

The Idle Time setting basically means if there's no activity for X seconds, disconnect to allow for something to connect to it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com