Node Server Support

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ralbrightii

Re: Node Server Support

Post by ralbrightii » Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 am

I hardly disagree with io_guy's assessment. My advice is to create it, not only will this create a method for those of us that wish to use the new PolIsy to interface between Brultech and ISY, but it will also in many people's environments remove a device from our network setup (that extra raspberry Pi or computer) Node Servers are how things are going to move forward with ISY and UDI. Having everything housed on the PolIsy using Polyglot makes for a less complicated install everything housed within one environment. Having a Brultech node server means that any code changes that Brultech

Having a node server is exactly what we are missing to directly interface from the Dashbox to the ISY/Polyglot interface. Of course we could just do it with REST commands and through variables, but then I appreciate the things that io_guy has done in the interim with NodeLink.

Thank you Ben and Barry, but I would position that a nodeserver for Brultech is sorely needed.
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Oh I agree - So needed Ben did you look into it ??
...Barry
Teken

Node Server Support

Post by Teken » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:18 pm

bgrubb1 wrote:Oh I agree - So needed Ben did you look into it ??
...Barry
Hi Barry,

Ben and I actually talked about this - just today. Image There is no current ETA but it’s on the teams radar for development for sure! Image

Right now the team is working toward squishing remaining bugs and updating the Dashboard layout. I’ve asked them to add some more improvements on the alert messaging system currently in place.

Once there, this should offer more conditional operators flexibility in how and when the system relays alerts similar to the ISY. They are also working toward more refinements in the billing section for members like Mwareman and others. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 am

Teken wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:18 pm
...Barry
Hi Barry,

Ben and I actually talked about this - just today. Image There is no current ETA but it’s on the teams radar for development for sure! Image

Right now the team is working toward squishing remaining bugs and updating the Dashboard layout. I’ve asked them to add some more improvements on the alert messaging system currently in place.

Once there, this should offer more conditional operators flexibility in how and when the system relays alerts similar to the ISY. They are also working toward more refinements in the billing section for members like Mwareman and others. Image

Trying to get the new WeatherFlow and some Sky data working for the next update also.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm

ben wrote:
Teken wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:18 pm
...Barry
Hi Barry,

Trying to get the new WeatherFlow and some Sky data working for the next update also.
Ben,

As always, I and everyone greatly appreciate your endless development and stellar support! ImageImage

I could not have accomplished this much in the Energy Monitoring, Energy Management, and Home Automation space without Team Brultech!

Much thanks goes out to Tammy, Paul, and You!!

Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:48 pm

Ben, did this ever make it up the TODO list ??
...Barry
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 am

bgrubb1 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:48 pm
Ben, did this ever make it up the TODO list ??
...Barry
Yeah, I have a half-written library I have to get back into.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:57 am

thank you Ben
...Barry
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:22 pm

io_guy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am
To create a Node Server for the ISY involves more than just the REST command for status.

A set of 3 files (Node Definitions) need to be created and uploaded to the ISY. After that the Brultech would need to send commands to add the various nodes to the ISY (which is dynamic based on the channels/sensors/counters configured in the Brultech) and then it would send a REST command for each value update on the GEM (separate REST sends for each value change).

My advice, don't do it. The ISY has completely moved 3rd part support over to Node Servers. Virtually no one will own an ISY and not have a secondary device (Computer, Raspberry Pi or Polyglot). You're better off just having one of these devices be the middle man since it's going to exist anyway.
Understanding this a bit more now. Sounds like the secondary device is doing all the heavy lifting nowadays.

For those unaware, NodeLink support should already work via the DashBox. Make sure your GEM is running Packet Format #4 (Bin-48-NET-Time) and enable Packet Forwarding under Add-ons->Packet Forwarding. If a persistent connection is required, checkmark the box. It'll forward every packet the DashBox takes in to NodeLink.

EDIT: Scratch that NodeLink, I'll have to look into having secondary ports to read packets.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:20 pm

I can modify NodeLink if it makes life easier. For example I could setup NodeLink to support sending data to the Dashbox.

FYI,
Right now I support formats 2, 4 and 14 (and 3 in the next version). 4 actually isn't great as the packets seem to come fragmented from the GEM and since it's byte format I can't find an EOL character to stitch it back together.