Node Server Support

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Node Server Support

Post by ben » Fri May 08, 2020 6:09 pm

ralbrightii wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:54 pm
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread... but has there been any movement on this. I would love to be able to implement a node server for my GEM without having to rely on a third party application (io_guy's NodeLink, nice software, but want to avoid the middleman)
The GEM won't be able to do it by itself. Do you own a DashBox? That's still the plan to get it working.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ralbrightii

Post by ralbrightii » Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm

ben wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:09 pm
ralbrightii wrote:
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread... but has there been any movement on this. I would love to be able to implement a node server for my GEM without having to rely on a third party application (io_guy's NodeLink, nice software, but want to avoid the middleman)
The GEM won't be able to do it by itself. Do you own a DashBox? That's still the plan to get it working.
Well.... funny you should mention the DashBox. I am just waiting on order XUVRANGQL to ship and then when I receive it.... yes I will :) :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri May 08, 2020 6:38 pm

ralbrightii wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm
ben wrote:
ralbrightii wrote:
Well.... funny you should mention the DashBox. I am just waiting on order XUVRANGQL to ship and then when I receive it.... yes I will :) :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
We're a bit slow right now due to covid, only have a couple people going in and handling orders. I'm currently answering support from home. If you need anything, best to send an email my way (ben(at)brultech.com) as I've been a bit slow on the forums.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
ralbrightii

Post by ralbrightii » Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 pm

ben wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:38 pm
ralbrightii wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm
ben wrote:

We're a bit slow right now due to covid, only have a couple people going in and handling orders. I'm currently answering support from home. If you need anything, best to send an email my way (ben(at)brultech.com) as I've been a bit slow on the forums.
I get it.... it was meant as a funny more than anything. I totally understand that things are a bit slower in the customer service departments of most EVERY industry.
ralbrightii

Post by ralbrightii » Sat May 09, 2020 1:18 pm

ben wrote:
ralbrightii wrote:
And what is that plan? (I spoke to io_guy and he is basically closing down his NodeLink software due to disagreements with Universal Devices...)
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Sat May 09, 2020 5:56 pm

ralbrightii wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:18 pm
And what is that plan? (I spoke to io_guy and he is basically closing down his NodeLink software due to disagreements with Universal Devices...)
If I remember correctly on the UDI-side, a node server has to be defined, and on our side the packet format has to be setup. It's just a matter of putting time in and learning their new interfaces.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Ben
There is a sample Nodeserver out on the polyglot store
...Barry
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Ben, are you planning on working on this in the near term ?? Wouldn’t think you would need a new packet, iolink used format 14
...Barry
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri May 15, 2020 8:18 pm

bgrubb1 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:43 pm
Ben, are you planning on working on this in the near term ?? Wouldn’t think you would need a new packet, iolink used format 14
...Barry
Hopefully, we'll see when I'm back in the office (we can re-open Tuesday but probably going to push it another week as I still have a cough).

The DashBox will have to reconstruct the packet into whatever format the node server wants.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am

To create a Node Server for the ISY involves more than just the REST command for status.

A set of 3 files (Node Definitions) need to be created and uploaded to the ISY. After that the Brultech would need to send commands to add the various nodes to the ISY (which is dynamic based on the channels/sensors/counters configured in the Brultech) and then it would send a REST command for each value update on the GEM (separate REST sends for each value change).

My advice, don't do it. The ISY has completely moved 3rd part support over to Node Servers. Virtually no one will own an ISY and not have a secondary device (Computer, Raspberry Pi or Polyglot). You're better off just having one of these devices be the middle man since it's going to exist anyway.