Can i micro-calibrate CT's showing incorrect watts?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Can i micro-calibrate CT's showing incorrect watts?

Post by ben » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 am

johnstonf wrote:So I'm assuming it removes spurious signals via grounding...

q1>Do i need to do this to all 30+channels?? (lots have these spurious signals)
(and yes, the one i tried settled right down by doing the jumper!)
q2>Is there a shortcut to not having to do all these jumpers?
q3>Is this because I am using Micro-80's, or >1 circuit per channel?

Thanks, Fred
1) If you're seeing this on almost every channel, I would check to make sure you have no Micro-CTs or Split-30s connected to Ports 1,2 or 3,4. If Micro-CTs or Split-30s are on those channels, it'll cause bleed-over to adjacent channels due to overloading them.

2) Try one first to make sure it works, you should only do it on any channel you suspect to have noise. Keep in mind that some loads, like LED displays for example, may look like noise (constantly consuming about 1W).

3) That shouldn't cause an issue.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:35 pm

I definitely will check that no CT's got onto 1-2 or 3-4... good hint.
I'll report back after i check.
It's for sure not real LED display loads, as there's too many on NO load channels.
(one forgotten device i could see, but not a few, as in my case)
Fred
ben wrote:

Thanks, Fred
1) If you're seeing this on almost every channel, I would check to make sure you have no Micro-CTs or Split-30s connected to Ports 1,2 or 3,4. If Micro-CTs or Split-30s are on those channels, it'll cause bleed-over to adjacent channels due to overloading them.

2) Try one first to make sure it works, you should only do it on any channel you suspect to have noise. Keep in mind that some loads, like LED displays for example, may look like noise (constantly consuming about 1W).

johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:11 pm

I've tried 3 x now, keeps crapping out... so I'll keep posting, then editing till this sucker is DONE!

HERE GOES...

Reporting back... i don't have any MICRO-CT's on pins 1 or 4...

I have SEPARATE CT's (CT-200's) on channels 1 and 2. I realized i was on pins 3-4 so i moved them to pins 1-2, but exact same results.

Question... IF i had any micro-80's on pins 1 or 4, would i ALSO see the noise on NON-used channels? Right now I'm NOT seeing any spurious watts on the UNused channels.

I have attached some photos of my partially finished project. Any input would be welcome, if you see anything wrong.

P.S. The left indicator light, is flashing RED every few seconds... is this normal? I have attached a short video (OH YEA, CRAP... after 15 minutes, it crapped out, I forgot, no videos... ok here is the YouTube link...)

johnstonf wrote:I definitely will check that no CT's got onto 1-2 or 3-4... good hint.
I'll report back after i check.
It's for sure not real LED display loads, as there's too many on NO load channels.
(one forgotten device i could see, but not a few, as in my case)
Fred
ben wrote:

Thanks, Fred

ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:19 pm

johnstonf wrote:I've tried 3 x now, keeps crapping out... so I'll keep posting, then editing till this sucker is DONE!

HERE GOES...

I have SEPARATE CT's (CT-200's) on channels 1 and 2. I realized i was on pins 3-4 so i moved them to pins 1-2, but exact same results.

Question... IF i had any micro-80's on pins 1 or 4, would i ALSO see the noise on NON-used channels? Right now I'm NOT seeing any spurious watts on the UNused channels.

I have attached some photos of my partially finished project. Any input would be welcome, if you see anything wrong.

P.S. The left indicator light, is flashing RED every few seconds... is this normal? I have attached a short video (OH YEA, CRAP... after 15 minutes, it crapped out, I forgot, no videos... ok here is the YouTube link...)
Yeah, the web host was doing maintenance it looks like. It was a bit of a pain to post.

Looks like the pictures didn't make it through.

The bleed usually only affects the adjacent channels. It would have to be a pretty active load to spread elsewhere.

Have you tried jumpering a channel yet to see if it removes the noise?

The Sys LED will flash red with every outgoing packet to show activity.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:27 am

P1060359.JPG
P1060359.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2300 times
OK, Finally trying to get my photos and video uploaded... here we go...

VIDEO: Showing GEM LED Indicators (Red flashing is normal data

PHOTOS of partially done project: (welcome any input):
P1060359.JPG
P1060359.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2300 times
P1060360.JPG
P1060360.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2296 times
P1060361.JPG
P1060361.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2296 times
ben wrote:
johnstonf wrote:I've tried 3 x now, keeps crapping out... so I'll keep posting, then editing till this sucker is DONE!

HERE GOES...

Yeah, the web host was doing maintenance it looks like. It was a bit of a pain to post.

Looks like the pictures didn't make it through.

The bleed usually only affects the adjacent channels. It would have to be a pretty active load to spread elsewhere.

Have you tried jumpering a channel yet to see if it removes the noise?

The Sys LED will flash red with every outgoing packet to show activity.
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 am

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS...)
(Due to limit 3 photos...)
P1060362.JPG
P1060362.JPG (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2293 times
P1060363.JPG
P1060363.JPG (75.92 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Attachments
P1060363.JPG
P1060363.JPG (75.92 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:44 am

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS...)
(Due to limit 3 photos...)
P1060365.JPG
P1060365.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2290 times
P1060366.JPG
P1060366.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2290 times
P1060367.JPG
P1060367.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2290 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 am

I would try moving the Splits on CH1/CH2 to the other 2 ports.

Pauls on vacation right now so I can't confirm but he's mentioned before that the jumper won't work unless its on the ports you have them connected to. I'm thinking it might help with any potential bleed from the Splits also.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:00 pm

I did a bunch of testing on a specific channel, and even with NO CT attached, I'm getting noise. With the CT (Micro-80) connected, I tried moving the cables around, away from all power lines, with/without jumper, etc, still noise! On ANOTHER channel, the jumper stopped the noise... it's hard to figure out!

A 'LOT' of my channels have noise, but not all!

/fj

ben wrote:I would try moving the Splits on CH1/CH2 to the other 2 ports.

Pauls on vacation right now so I can't confirm but he's mentioned before that the jumper won't work unless its on the ports you have them connected to. I'm thinking it might help with any potential bleed from the Splits also.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:53 am

johnstonf wrote:I did a bunch of testing on a specific channel, and even with NO CT attached, I'm getting noise. With the CT (Micro-80) connected, I tried moving the cables around, away from all power lines, with/without jumper, etc, still noise! On ANOTHER channel, the jumper stopped the noise... it's hard to figure out!

A 'LOT' of my channels have noise, but not all!

/fj
A channel with no CT may pick up noise. Unused channels you can set the CT Range higher in order to zero those values out (CT Range doubles/halves the value).

Did you try moving the CH1/CH2 CTs to the bottom two ports of the channel?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.