Firmware Update Issue

Ask questions about the GEM here.
alzyee

Firmware Update Issue

Post by alzyee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:53 pm

I tried to update the firmware on a wifi only GEM. It had version 3.x and tried to update it to 4.22 it got up to several % and failed.

It still connects the wifi that was configures and obtains an IP address
I am unable to connect the web interface.
It responds to pings

I unplugged it, removed the battery, held PB button, and plugged it back in. Then using the GEM Network Utility V7.0 I selected the recovery mode checkbox and clicked start. It shows the popup asking me to confirm it is set to 19200 baud, I click OK, below messages are printed in the little on screen window, it remains at 0.0%, Connected status turns red, msgbox appears with "Error 0", 0.0% changes to "Timesout Error!"

Code: Select all

Close connection
Open connection
Attempt to connect
Connected
TCP Connection OK
Any ideas as to how I should proceed?
ben
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Update Issue

Post by ben » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 am

alzyee wrote:I tried to update the firmware on a wifi only GEM. It had version 3.x and tried to update it to 4.22 it got up to several % and failed.

It still connects the wifi that was configures and obtains an IP address
I am unable to connect the web interface.
It responds to pings

I unplugged it, removed the battery, held PB button, and plugged it back in. Then using the GEM Network Utility V7.0 I selected the recovery mode checkbox and clicked start. It shows the popup asking me to confirm it is set to 19200 baud, I click OK, below messages are printed in the little on screen window, it remains at 0.0%, Connected status turns red, msgbox appears with "Error 0", 0.0% changes to "Timesout Error!"

Code: Select all

Close connection
Open connection
Attempt to connect
Connected
TCP Connection OK
Any ideas as to how I should proceed?
Unplug the GEM, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. If the Sys LED turns Green, with occasional red flashes, try to program it normally.

If it doesn't turn green, unplug it again and repeat the recovery mode instructions you tried before.

If you removed the battery, and didn't repower it before recovery mode, it could be stuck in some sort of unknown state.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
alzyee

Post by alzyee » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:32 pm

If it doesn't turn green, unplug it again and repeat the recovery mode instructions you tried before.
I plugged the GEM back in and the System LED is solid red. I tried to update firmware (as described before) again and it fails in the same way.
If you removed the battery, and didn't repower it before recovery mode, it could be stuck in some sort of unknown state.
There is a possibility I did this at some point.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 am

alzyee wrote:
I plugged the GEM back in and the System LED is solid red. I tried to update firmware (as described before) again and it fails in the same way.
There is a possibility I did this at some point.
Are you trying any commands or jumping straight to the firmware? Any bytes sent to the GEM before writing firmware could result in having to start the process all over again.

- Unplug, hold down button at the bottom of the case (the button protruding out the bottom), plug it in.
- Connect to it with the GEM Network Utility.
- Go to the Firmware tab.
- Select the firmware file.
- Checkmark Recovery Mode.
- Click Start.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
alzyee

Post by alzyee » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:14 am

I followed the above instructions (other then I can't confirm that nothing on the network is trying to talk to it. It just seems like a reasonable assumption) and I got the same results.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:43 am

alzyee wrote:I followed the above instructions (other then I can't confirm that nothing on the network is trying to talk to it. It just seems like a reasonable assumption) and I got the same results.
Have you adjusted the baud rate on the WiFi module at all?

Is this a WiFi/Ethernet or WiFI-only module?

If it's set to 19200, I would try again at 115200. If it's at 115200, I would try again at 19200.

Newer firmware versions allow for programming at 115200. The 3.X series should allow that.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
alzyee

Post by alzyee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 am

I may have changed it to 19200 but I haven't been able to get to the web page when I navigate to the GEM's IP address since the first time I tried to update the firmware. Is this something I could easily check + change with a serial cable or through the setup application?

It is a WiFI-only module.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:29 am

alzyee wrote:I may have changed it to 19200 but I haven't been able to get to the web page when I navigate to the GEM's IP address since the first time I tried to update the firmware. Is this something I could easily check + change with a serial cable or through the setup application?

It is a WiFI-only module.
In the top menu of the GEM Network Utility, under GEM Model Select, set it to WiFi-only.

You should be able to adjust the WiFi baud rate on the WiFi-only tab.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
alzyee

Post by alzyee » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 am

I changed the baud rate to 19200, rebooted the GEM into recovery mode, and was able to update the firmware to 4.22. After the update completed I was able to get to the web page. On the status page it has "Sys Flags: 00100000 Err1 = Low battery warning" I assume this is referring to the coin cell battery.

Thank you for your help.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:03 pm

alzyee wrote:I changed the baud rate to 19200, rebooted the GEM into recovery mode, and was able to update the firmware to 4.22. After the update completed I was able to get to the web page. On the status page it has "Sys Flags: 00100000 Err1 = Low battery warning" I assume this is referring to the coin cell battery.

Thank you for your help.
Glad to hear it worked. Put the battery back, cycle power to remove that flag, and you should be good to go.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.