Firmware Update Failure

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Update Failure

Post by ben » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 am

scyto wrote:
ben wrote:
Hmm, does sound like something might've been coming through the Ethernet. The Xbee wouldn't cause issues as I confirmed with Paul that it ignores the opposing COM port once it starts updating firmware.
Well the only things are a Vera and the brultech plugin for that and Nodelink for the ISY. Nothing else i have interrogates the GEM.

I am happy to try and repro and capture stuff as it seems multiple folks had similar issues with this module?
Wonder if either or those poll the GEM at all. Maybe we should add changing the Port for Server Mode to something else when updating firmware.

EDIT: There's a maximum number of TCP connections settings in the WiFi/Ethernet setting that could be used. Set it to 1 when programming firmware.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Ok, just decided i would move from 4.17 to 4.22 and hit same issue.

Ben, what do you want me to do to capture this issue it is a PITA and would be nice if it go fixed, this didn't used to happen....

--edit 1--
Oops just saw the try TCP connections 1 = will do that...

--edit 2--
hmm that first attempt at FW upgrade totally seems to have take port 8000 ethernet offline.

I just changed the UART to STA mode and had it join my wifi network and i can connect to port 80 on the wifi interface and see the UART config.

Now i can connect by WIFI but that dropped the port 80 ethernet offline.... is that expected?
(and 8000 is still dead)
scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:42 pm

ok solved it, this is about physically having the ethernet cable connected/\

Remember the ethernet has NO IP address so no packets should be getting through. This would indicate this is a physical / link layer error.

Ben this is an issue in the UART firmware. I am running 4.02.10.C1224 do you have a later or earlier version that you use.

Basically on this UART version it is impossible to update using ethernet at all OR using wifi when the ethernet is physically connected

UART in AP or STA mode is fine doesn't matter last time this occurred i did AP this time i did STA and it worked in both cases once the ethernet was unplugged.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Still having issues with COM firmware. Firmware updates will not work over Ethernet (managed switch), have to use Wi-Fi.

Upgraded to 4.32 and now Ethernet doesn't work at all, I'm stuck using Wi-Fi.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Cancel that. I factory reset the comm card and now nothing works. Can connect to the AP but it doesn't provide an IP. I manually set it to the right subnet but 192.168.2.2 doesn't open.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Latest update...
So it looks like the AP is 1.2.3.4, a documentation update wouldn't hurt.

I can connect to the AP and set it to STA. The fun:
- The GEM Network Utility will not stay connected to either AP or STA so I can't downgrade/change the firmware. Tried factory resets, recovery mode, etc.
- When tying normal mode it just says it can't communicate with the GEM
- When trying recovery I get Error 0
- Even when in STA mode, the AP is still visible and can be connected to - really?
- My personal favorite... If I have the Ethernet connected the AP (even in STA mode) is still active and allows for open access through the Ethernet into my network - really?

I can now access :80 and :8000 through wireless, but Ethernet appears to be dead. The switch tells me the connection is live but it never grabs an IP.

Somehow I need to get back to 4.22 to get Ethernet working and completely disable wireless.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:32 am

io_guy wrote:Latest update...
So it looks like the AP is 1.2.3.4, a documentation update wouldn't hurt.

I can connect to the AP and set it to STA. The fun:
- The GEM Network Utility will not stay connected to either AP or STA so I can't downgrade/change the firmware. Tried factory resets, recovery mode, etc.
- When tying normal mode it just says it can't communicate with the GEM
- When trying recovery I get Error 0
- Even when in STA mode, the AP is still visible and can be connected to - really?
- My personal favorite... If I have the Ethernet connected the AP (even in STA mode) is still active and allows for open access through the Ethernet into my network - really?

I can now access :80 and :8000 through wireless, but Ethernet appears to be dead. The switch tells me the connection is live but it never grabs an IP.

Somehow I need to get back to 4.22 to get Ethernet working and completely disable wireless.
The GEM COM firmware should have no affect on the WiFi/Ethernet portion as that's controlled by the WiFi/Ethernet module. The only thing that may happen is if you have the Hardware Option set incorrectly, it could hold the WiFi/Ethernet module in a reset mode.

In the GEMs Advanced page we have an option to disable WiFi in newer firmware versions. It's experimental however. If you get locked out of Ethernet, you'll have to factory reset the module.

Port 80 is reserved by the WiFi/Ethernet module setup page, you need to use Port 8000 (or whatever port you have set under Application Settings) to upgrade and talk to the GEM. If you're connected to 80 with the GEM Network Utility, it'll likely just close the connection on you.

We've had issues upgrading via Ethernet in the past according to this thread. Have you tried updating via the AP?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:51 pm

If the COM firmware has nothing to due with the Ethernet/Wi-Fi module then I'll leave it running 4.32.

My issue right now is no Ethernet, only Wi-Fi. The Ethernet seems to have dropped off after my 4.32 upgrade. I've tried resetting (hold 6s) the module multiple times, no dice. I know the reset is working because each time I do it I see the AP again (which I disable in the Advanced page).

Is there a newer firmware or something for this unit? Mines at 4.02.10.C1224.01.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:47 am

io_guy wrote:If the COM firmware has nothing to due with the Ethernet/Wi-Fi module then I'll leave it running 4.32.

My issue right now is no Ethernet, only Wi-Fi. The Ethernet seems to have dropped off after my 4.32 upgrade. I've tried resetting (hold 6s) the module multiple times, no dice. I know the reset is working because each time I do it I see the AP again (which I disable in the Advanced page).

Is there a newer firmware or something for this unit? Mines at 4.02.10.C1224.01.
That's up-to-date.

Can you check your Ethernet settings versus the attached manual? (Starting at STEP 2B).
Attachments
Wifi_Ethernet_Setup_v.pdf
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 135 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Trying to not get frustrated here, not easy. This comm module is far from intuitive and leaks across subnets pretty bad.

The manual is outdated and does not reflect the options on the GEM - IP and DHCP Address are the same line.
Whether I set it to Server or None, it takes the address I enter in as static. So I can get it working by telling it an IP, DHCP never works.