Firmware Update Failure

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Update Failure

Post by ben » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 am

io_guy wrote:Trying to not get frustrated here, not easy. This comm module is far from intuitive and leaks across subnets pretty bad.

The manual is outdated and does not reflect the options on the GEM - IP and DHCP Address are the same line.
Whether I set it to Server or None, it takes the address I enter in as static. So I can get it working by telling it an IP, DHCP never works.
Sorry about that. Let me try this again. For some reason I attached the outdated manual.
Wifi Ethernet Setup rev3_5.pdf
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
With this one, you're leaving the module in AP mode. The Ethernet settings take over the STA mode settings while in AP mode with the newest firmware. Use DHCP for now and use either the GEM Network Utility or your DHCP table on your router to find the GEM.

The Access Point will be active through the whole process.

Then, once you get the Ethernet connected. There's an option in the Adv section of the GEM to turn that AP off.
GEM_Adv.png
GEM_Adv.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
It may take a few tries to go through.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm

This network module really needs to be cleaned up. I updated to 4.33 today and re-lived the wonderful problems.

- Finally got updating over Ethernet working by forcing 100Mbit on my switch. This is a Brultech issue as the other 23 devices on the switch have no issue and include grandpas such as a 10Mbit half-duplex adapter.
- AP IP is 1.2.3.4 not 192.168.2.2 like your manuals state.
- The latest manual in this post (3.5), which is years old, isn't available on your download page (3.4).
- Moot point because it doesn't work anyway. Setting AP mode to use the LAN doesn't work at all on my system.
- Setup per 3.4 works (STA mode, static IP entered in AP settings). DHCP does not work - only device on my router that needs a static setup, approx. 50 devices in my house.
- Security hole in implementation - with the LAN connected, connecting to the AP allow straight pass through. AP should be firewalled from LAN.

If it wasn't for the required web config and firmware updates I'd tear the comm module out completely and use a 3rd party serial to Ethernet converter.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am

What version number do you have under Device Management?

I'm going to see if we can break out some of the AT commands, there's different configuration options that can't be set through the WiFi/Ethernet interface that we should be able to set through the GEMs interface. For example, there's a way to have the Ethernet connection act in AP or STA mode. I have a feeling your module might be set to have Ethernet act as an AP.

We unfortunately have no control over the WiFi/Ethernet UI but Paul is working on updating the manual to make it less confusing.

You can technically add your own Serial-to-Ethernet module if you wanted. You'd have to run a 5V splitter cable or a separate power supply to it. COM1 and COM2 are exposed below the WiFi/Ethernet module. There's some standoffs to the right of the GEM that you may be able to fit a module onto.

The COM firmware programs at 115200, so there shouldn't be much of an issue with firmware programming. The Engine firmware is pretty solid and I can't see it getting any updates in the near/distant future (barring on major bugs are discovered). If there ever is a need, you'd just switch the GEM baud first, then switch it on your module. The GEM just automates that task if it knows what commands to send.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
io_guy

Post by io_guy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 pm

ben wrote:What version number do you have under Device Management?
4.02.10.C1224.01
ben wrote:The COM firmware programs at 115200, so there shouldn't be much of an issue with firmware programming. The Engine firmware is pretty solid and I can't see it getting any updates in the near/distant future (barring on major bugs are discovered). If there ever is a need, you'd just switch the GEM baud first, then switch it on your module. The GEM just automates that task if it knows what commands to send.
Without forcing 100Mbit on my switch firmware update failed 100% of the time. Baud rate or recovery mode made no difference.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 am

io_guy wrote:
ben wrote:What version number do you have under Device Management?
4.02.10.C1224.01
ben wrote:The COM firmware programs at 115200, so there shouldn't be much of an issue with firmware programming. The Engine firmware is pretty solid and I can't see it getting any updates in the near/distant future (barring on major bugs are discovered). If there ever is a need, you'd just switch the GEM baud first, then switch it on your module. The GEM just automates that task if it knows what commands to send.
Without forcing 100Mbit on my switch firmware update failed 100% of the time. Baud rate or recovery mode made no difference.
Yeah, it looks like the Ethernet will only operate at 100Mbit, we'll have to add that to the manual.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.