Upgrading GEM Hardware

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading GEM Hardware

Post by ben » Mon May 09, 2016 10:42 am

snhroc wrote:
ben wrote:
snhroc wrote:Is Tammy the right person to talk to about getting a V2 wifi/enet module for my GEM which right now has an old Wiznet ethernet only adapter that I'm having issues with? Or do I buy those components from somewhere else?

The wifi embedded module looks like one of the ones that can be sourced from gridconnect or one o many suppliers on Aliexpress, but I can't Identify easily the serial to ethernet board it sits on.
Tammy would be the one to contact about pricing, correct. You just need to append on whether or not your GEM circuit board is black or blue (V1, V2). The blue board has a slight modification which puts the Ethernet port for the WiFi/Ethernet module on-board instead of on the side.

The only way you can hook up a 3rd party module is by using the Tx/Rx/GND headers and a serial cable. You can probably get away with using a Y splitter with the 5V power supply, most require the same supply and the GEM itself doesn't draw much power (typicially > 1W).
I just want to make sure I ordered and got the right item. I gave the detail you suggested above (ie. that I had a black V1 main board and needed a combo wifi enet module). I got instructions for a wifi enet module, and the invoice says WIFI/ETHERNET Module. The moduleitself, however, only seems to have a 14 pin board connector, and a wifi antenna wire, and no RJ-45 port for ethernet. Did I get the wrong module or am I missing something obvious?
Send us an email and we'll get this fixed up. It sounds like you were sent a module-only and not the connector-board.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com