Realtime packets sent to COM2 even when set to disabled

Ask questions about the GEM here.
wci68

Realtime packets sent to COM2 even when set to disabled

Post by wci68 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Here's an interesting oddity that is happening with both of my GEMs.

My COM firmware is 4.0 (both GEMs)
My ENG firmware is 1.49 (both GEMs)

I do not have any communication modules installed, but do have both COM ports connected via RS232, on both units.

Via GEM Network Utility I opened each GEM setup via browser. On the 'Packet Send' page I have real time set to yes, COM1 set to packet type 4 (Bin48-NET-Time) and COM2 set to type 0 (Disabled). These are confirmed on the GEM Setup Status page as well as via the GEM Network Utility 'Get GEM Info'.

However, I still see type 4 packets being sent on COM2 at the same time.

As a test I changed COM2 to type 2 (ASCII with Wh) while leaving COM1 at type 4. I confirmed the respective correct formats were sent to each COM port. I then changed COM2 back to type 0 and monitored both COM ports. COM2 resumed sending type 4 packets rather than disabling its output despite the packet type being set to 'Disabled'.

Could this be a bug?
ben
Site Admin

Re: Realtime packets sent to COM2 even when set to disabled

Post by ben » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 am

It's just bad wording, disabled means that it'll send the same packet format over both COM ports instead of sending 2 different packet formats.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
wci68

Re: Realtime packets sent to COM2 even when set to disabled

Post by wci68 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:44 am

Ah - that is exactly the behavior I see. Yes 'Disabled' confused me but looking at the GEM history when the same format was always sent to both com ports I can see how this applies.

Thanks for clarifying!