Assigning static IPs to Ethernet and WiFi interfaces

Ask questions about the GEM here.
dexterdom

Assigning static IPs to Ethernet and WiFi interfaces

Post by dexterdom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:05 am

Hello there, I'm setting up my GEM and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to assign static IPs to the 2 network interfaces as follows.

WiFi interface - 192.168.0.xx
Ethernet interface - 192.168.0.yy

My main connection will be the Ethernet and I'll have the WiFi interface only as a backup in case of a switch or cable failure.
The setup screens reference WAN and LAN - are those referring to wireless and ethernet?

I'm using the latest COM and ENG firmware (COM 4.0 and ENG 1.49).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
ben
Site Admin

Re: Assigning static IPs to Ethernet and WiFi interfaces

Post by ben » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:58 am

The Ethernet and WiFi can't be connected to the network at the same time, it's either one or the other. If you have WiFi connected, the Ethernet port is used like a bridge.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
dexterdom

Post by dexterdom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:18 am

OK that makes sense. So I've forced an ethernet connection by specifying bogus WiFi info in the STA Interface setup screen so it has no way to connect to my Wifi network. The GEM is able to pick up an IP from my DHCP server (router) via the copper ethernet, but I now want to assign it a static IP. This is where I get tripped up. I changed the WAN connection type to static and entered my IP info there, but then lose connectivity to the GEM, forcing me to factory reset the COM. This was with the GEM set to STA Mode.

Note that I didn't touch any settings on the AP Interface screen - if I understand correctly, that's only if I want to connect to the GEM via Wifi for initial config. Is this correct?

The last point I want to raise is the network settings in the "Application Setting" screen. Do I need to touch those? The defaults don't make sense to me (10.10.100.100) so I'm not sure what to do there.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:24 am

dexterdom wrote:OK that makes sense. So I've forced an ethernet connection by specifying bogus WiFi info in the STA Interface setup screen so it has no way to connect to my Wifi network. The GEM is able to pick up an IP from my DHCP server (router) via the copper ethernet, but I now want to assign it a static IP. This is where I get tripped up. I changed the WAN connection type to static and entered my IP info there, but then lose connectivity to the GEM, forcing me to factory reset the COM. This was with the GEM set to STA Mode.

Note that I didn't touch any settings on the AP Interface screen - if I understand correctly, that's only if I want to connect to the GEM via Wifi for initial config. Is this correct?

The last point I want to raise is the network settings in the "Application Setting" screen. Do I need to touch those? The defaults don't make sense to me (10.10.100.100) so I'm not sure what to do there.
The AP Interface settings has some Ethernet options at the bottom if in STA mode. You can set a gateway and IP address there.

Application Settings starts off in "Server" mode Port 8000. That provides you with access to the GEM. You can use this section to direct it at a server by going to Client mode. There's also a second TCP connection available in the GEM Setup Webpage via the Network tab.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dexterdom

Post by dexterdom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:58 am

ben wrote: The AP Interface settings has some Ethernet options at the bottom if in STA mode. You can set a gateway and IP address there.
Thanks I'll try again this evening

Am I correct to assume that under normal operation the GEM should be in STA mode?

Just to be clear, in the AP Interface, LAN Setup settings:
IP Address (Default DHCP gateway) --> do I set this to my default gateway (192.168.0.1) or the static IP that I want to assign?
Mask = 255.255.255.0 -> this matches my mask
DHCP Type = Server or Disabled --> set to Disable?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:01 pm

If you go AP mode, the STA settings should apply to the LAN instead.

You want the AP Ethernet settings to be different from your local network so they don't conflict.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dexterdom

Post by dexterdom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

ben wrote:If you go AP mode, the STA settings should apply to the LAN instead.

You want the AP Ethernet settings to be different from your local network so they don't conflict.
Sorry but this is confusing.... Unless I'm reading it wrong, the steps in the manual have me starting in AP mode to connect to the GEM SSID and then switch over to STA mode for the rest of the network config. This is why I assumed AP mode is really only for initial setup. Your reply suggests I may go either with AP mode or STA mode.

Let me step back and describe my situation:
I have one GEM and one Dashbox.
My plan is to have the Dashbox directly connect to the GEM via a serial cable.
For the GEM, I want to use ethernet with a static IP address
For the Dashbox, I plan on using ethernet with a static IP address
I will not be using SEG
Based on this info, would you recommend I use AP mode or STA mode?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:06 pm

dexterdom wrote:
ben wrote:If you go AP mode, the STA settings should apply to the LAN instead.

Sorry but this is confusing.... Unless I'm reading it wrong, the steps in the manual have me starting in AP mode to connect to the GEM SSID and then switch over to STA mode for the rest of the network config. This is why I assumed AP mode is really only for initial setup. Your reply suggests I may go either with AP mode or STA mode.

Let me step back and describe my situation:
I have one GEM and one Dashbox.
My plan is to have the Dashbox directly connect to the GEM via a serial cable.
For the GEM, I want to use ethernet with a static IP address
For the Dashbox, I plan on using ethernet with a static IP address
I will not be using SEG
Based on this info, would you recommend I use AP mode or STA mode?
If you're using Ethernet on the GEM, try putting the module in AP mode. The settings for the STA network should apply to the Ethernet instead of the WiFi connection. That way you can set a static IP.

You can also hide the AP under AP Settings.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dexterdom

Post by dexterdom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:30 pm

I got it to work with a static IP but it's actually in STA mode, not AP mode.
I assume that is ok? It survives a reboot and I can get to the GEM setup on 8000 using that IP so functionally it seems fine.
The LAN section in the AP Settings screen is confusing because it's not clear what IP address to enter. See my screenshot, which is different than what you have in the documentation (the Wifi/Ethernet setup document).

Also, there really should be a way to disable the wifi completely on the GEM. Even though I have hidden the SSID and disconnected the antenna, I know the unit is still transmitting RF signals which are not necessary and adding to the RF clutter in my home. Nothing fancy, even a jumper on the board would be fine.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Now I'll spend some time running some cat6 and installing the CTs.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.61 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
scyto

Post by scyto » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:29 pm

ben wrote:The Ethernet and WiFi can't be connected to the network at the same time, it's either one or the other. If you have WiFi connected, the Ethernet port is used like a bridge.
Ah that answers the question in the mail i sent. This is a shame as there seem to be 3 MACs on the UART device (LAN, STA and AP) i was hoping to setup both for redundancy Oh well.

BTW i assume the UART page has the UDP option so one can broadcast UDP packets and have multiple devices listen for those UDP packets?

Hmm i wonder if i can persuade io_guy over on the ISY forums to support that....