Configuring GEM

Ask questions about the GEM here.
robbert2012

Configuring GEM

Post by robbert2012 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 am

I have been using my GEM successfully for a while now, using the RS-232 interface to a DashBox.

I remember being able to connect the GEM to the DashBox via wifi, in the beginning.
I was never able to configure GEM to connect to the DashBox via an enet cable.
I'm able to get into the setup page of the GEM via wifi.

Now I want to add a new target to the GEM: a WebPy webserver. The "packet" looks good. But the GEM doesn't send out anything to my webserver.

Packet setup:
real time status: ON
Com1 format: 3: HTTP GET
Com2 format: 4: bin48...
simulation: OFF
Include current packet: OFF

Data setup:
URL: 10.0.20.60:8080
URL extension: GEM

Any ideas of how to get to the bottom of this issue?

Thanks

Bert
ben
Site Admin

Re: Configuring GEM

Post by ben » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 am

Is this WiFi/Ethernet or WiFi-only?

Sounds like you just need to configure the Network connection. There should be a Network section in the GEM Setup Webpage. Both the WiFi/Ethernet and WiFi have this page, it only works with some WiFi/Ethernet firmwares however.

Go to that page, and try directing it at your server (Server IP/Port). Also, make sure it shows up on your router.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
robbert2012

Post by robbert2012 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:43 am

Ben,

Thanks for your help.

I was putting my IP/port of the server that I want to receive the 8 second updates to the energy use in the "packet" section. Are you saying I should put it in the "network" section? Or in both?

So I did put the ip:port in the network section but I still don't get the messages.
It is probably something simple that I'm overlooking...

Also, with the "GEM setup webpage", I assume you are referring to the ip:8000 page.

Also, the network configuration o0f my GEM (via ip:80) is "STA" mode.

Bert
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:49 am

robbert2012 wrote:Ben,

Thanks for your help.

I was putting my IP/port of the server that I want to receive the 8 second updates to the energy use in the "packet" section. Are you saying I should put it in the "network" section? Or in both?

So I did put the ip:port in the network section but I still don't get the messages.
It is probably something simple that I'm overlooking...

Also, with the "GEM setup webpage", I assume you are referring to the ip:8000 page.

Also, the network configuration o0f my GEM (via ip:80) is "STA" mode.

Bert
Keep in mind, the GEM won't send packets until you leave Setup Mode.

If the network section didn't work try the following:

Some older WiFi/Ethernet firmwares may require you to use the Port 80 page, under Application Settings. Switch it from "Server" mode to "Client" mode, then fill out the IP and Port. Save and reboot.

You'll have to switch it back to Server mode when you want to configure the GEM.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com