GEM Connection Issues

Ask questions about the GEM here.
mattm55

GEM Connection Issues

Post by mattm55 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:10 am

My GEM has been running fine for awhile but adding the new DB seemed to cause many connection issues with the GEM locking up. I then upgraded the COM to the latest version and the ENG was on the latest version. It seemed to be alot better.

Now it seems my GEM is kinda stuck sending data constantly which causes:

1. A reboot of the GEM takes a long time to get the Com light to go green.
2. I've reloaded the Com fw a few times and still same results
3. Trying to get into the GEM Network Util webpage always gets data chars only whether I change it to 19200 or 115k...

I think the GEM is stuck sending packets immediately rather than every 60 secs? I think that's why it has a hard time connecting to the WiFi too on a reboot???

Any ideas on how to get the GEM to allow me to connect to the GEM Network page again? I thought about reloading Com and then reloading the ENG fw this time.

Any ideas would help.
Thanks, Matt
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Connection Issues

Post by ben » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:18 am

What COM port are you connected to on the GEM? Make sure Flow Control on COM1 and COM2 is disabled.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

Hey Ben,

I connected the DB to COM2 on the GEM. Was that not correct with WiFi?

~I can't seem to get back into the GEM's Network Util page to see that setting. Is there a way to reset GEM to stop sending data so I can access that page? Reloading the COM works but still can't see that page.

Thanks, Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:10 am

Try accessing it through the DashBox.

Set the DashBox baud rate to 19200 under Settings->System->Change Baudrates, then use <GEM-IP> Port 8001 (port 1) or Port 8002 (port 2) in order to read from it.

If you don't have a Zigbee module, once you do a Get GEM Info in the GEM Network Utility, click the 115200 button, then go back to the DashBox and set the baud rate to 115200.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 am

Ben,

Thanks for the tips. I actually tried and still couldn't get the GEM back up to get into the web page so I did a -

1. Plug pwr in, LED lit and then held reset button. This must have done something as now I can get into the GEM's web page.

Now I can't seem to get the GEM and Dashbox talking again. I have tried the settings mentioned in the forum to now avail.

Step 1. I can't seem to get the Dashbox to accept the Serial Number. Funny thing is my SN# changed now to 03400364? It was 01000364. Is this normal?
gemStatus1.jpg
gemStatus1.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Thanks, Matt
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:26 am

1. I believe there are a few issues that are still present and thus the lack of connection. Going off memory the COM Flow needs to be disabled depending on what channel is being used, packet type, and connection to the GEM / DB.

2. Next I also believe the error status on the GEM need to be cleared.

3. I would try to connect to the DB / GEM combination via Ethernet and not over WiFi. Doing so will at least ensure a strong and reliable connection and removes this one area from being a trouble shooting issue.

4. Both devices should have a static IP assigned and not left in DHCP mode. If for what ever reason you must use DHCP please consider reserving the IP address for the two devices in the router. Again, this limits the trouble shooting areas of concern and possibilities.

5. All DB come with a STS cable and speaking for myself only this is the preferred method to connect to the GEM. This avoids network related issues and connectivity related drop outs etc.

6. As Ben indicated please ensure the baud rate for both systems are set correctly.

7. In the DB ensure the *Data Logging* is enabled under the Admin Settings.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:18 am

COM1 Flow can stop packets from COM2 if COM1 can't get through to whatever its talking to. Definitely disable that.

It looks like your battery is dead or not present based on the Err1 code.

I would try cycling power and reading settings again once COM1 Flow is enabled to see if that fixes the SN.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:03 am

OK. It looks like I making some progress here but still have no data coming into the Dashbox. I do now have a much better understanding of the setup and why it is so hard to diagnose. There are many ways to get to the same results.

So right now,

1. I have the STS cable hooked to COM2 (GEM) due to WiFi on COM1 (GEM). The STS is connected to COM1 (DB).

2. I can access <DB IP>:8001 gets me to the GEM Setup web page
3. <DB IP>:8002 returns nothing. I would expect this should return the packet from COM2 (GEM)

So now data is being received from the DB. It seems the GEM isn't sending the packet over now. And my Serial number still hasn't reset to the original?
gemStatus2.jpg
gemStatus2.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
dbBaud1.jpg
dbBaud1.jpg (56.42 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Thanks, Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:29 am

3. :8002 points at COM2 on the DashBox.

Connect via the GEM Network Utility, go to Debug, and try the command "^^^SYSGSN" (Get Serial Number) to see if that restores your serial number.

Verify your PT and CT settings also as we think what happened there was an issue with pretty old firmware that had a chance of overwriting memory locations. Your serial number changing is a good sign of this.

It says GreenEye Monitor detected, so that's a good sign. My guess is that you need to go to Energy Monitors under Settings and put in the serial number, then you should have data streaming.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:08 pm

OK. Tried getting the SN to change but no luck. I took a few ss's that might indicate something out of whack still.
networkUtil1.jpg
networkUtil1.jpg (266.59 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
networkUtil2.jpg
networkUtil2.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Thanks, Matt

Update: After banging my head on the counter and hitting the "Go" button numerous times, it now has my SN# correct. I did get an error flash by on one of those times.
Woohoo... progress? -Matt