Battling my GEM

Ask questions about the GEM here.
pmoles

Battling my GEM

Post by pmoles » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:50 pm

Have had my GEM unit for some years without issue. Then lost comms with my ISY994 and noticed comm LEDs not lighting. After trying many things with resets, RS232 connections, etc., noticed someone replaced their power supply and after installing a new one, I now have Comm LEDs. I can log onto and set the Network Configuration settings. The Network Utility discovers the GEM unit and then I cannot go further. Always connects on web with :80 but never :8000. Figure have to upgrade firmware but cannot even connect for that. Have tried a Recovery Mode with no joy. Ideas?
ben
Site Admin

Re: Battling my GEM

Post by ben » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:12 am

pmoles wrote:Have had my GEM unit for some years without issue. Then lost comms with my ISY994 and noticed comm LEDs not lighting. After trying many things with resets, RS232 connections, etc., noticed someone replaced their power supply and after installing a new one, I now have Comm LEDs. I can log onto and set the Network Configuration settings. The Network Utility discovers the GEM unit and then I cannot go further. Always connects on web with :80 but never :8000. Figure have to upgrade firmware but cannot even connect for that. Have tried a Recovery Mode with no joy. Ideas?
Any idea what COM firmware you were running before the crash?

What communication module do you have?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
pmoles

Post by pmoles » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Ben, I do not recall nor can I find the updated firmware files but I updated it earlier this year.

I am configured with the WiFi/Ethernet and Xbee w. Ext Ant.

Thanks for the help,
Peter
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Did you try applying the latest COM F/W once in Recovery Mode? (Checkmark Recovery Mode, select the firmware file, and apply the firmware, don't click anything else).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
pmoles

Post by pmoles » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 am

Yes, multiple times with different consequences. First time, checkmarked and no joy - no connection at all. Another time, could not even make a checkmark. Now that said, I was using WiFi.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:40 am

Check Application Settings under Port 80 to make sure it's set to "Server" mode and Port 8000.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
pmoles

Post by pmoles » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:58 am

No joy but let me summarize what I have.....

Red Status Light, Yellow Comm Light

Downloaded latest firmware.....V1.49 Eng, V4.0 Comm

Run GEM Network Utility as Administrator

Select TCP Server, Set Port 80

Select Recovery Mode

Select Firmware File - have tried both above

Select Start

Receive 'No Connect' error

....also have tried Select Open

and repeat but appears to connection.
Teken

Post by Teken » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:35 am

Hello Peter,

Could you please clarify the current state of the following devices.

1. Is the GEM active and online and fully operational? Meaning is energy data being captured and outputted to what ever data storage device you have whether it be a Dash Box, ISY 994 IZ, SEG, etc?

2. Are you able to access the GEM's internal web site? If so if you go to the live data tab do you see energy readings being displayed every 8 seconds?

3. If you have data being sent to DB, SEG, ISY, which one shows data?

4. Have you set the GEM Network Utility to the following attributes?

- TCP Client: Insure the port and IP address are correct to the right for your unit.
- Ethernet Mode: Set this to *Mixed*
- Select *Search* does the tool find your GEM and populate the expected data?

- If no please advise . . .
- If yes please continue below . . .

- Comm Settings: Set this area to firmware mode
- Baud: Leave this at 115200 for now to load the COM firmware!
- Select save settings to the lower right

1 - Select *Firmware Tab*
2 - Under the *Connection* select Open the unit should connect to the GEM and it should be green.
- Select *Get GEM Info* you may have to repeat this step 2 a couple of times.
- The system at this time should gather all the settings and attributes of your system.
- It may declare a a few error (pop) messages just ignore them and keep selecting *Get GEM info* until it finally obtains the required data.
- Once the data in the right hand side is present verify that *Communication Baud Rate* is set to COM 1, Port Baud 115200.
- Select the COM firmware on the computer and select start.

If it loads fine your next step is to load the *Engine* firmware but the baud rate needs to be changed to 19200. The system may declare a few error messages just keep repeating the steps above to ensure: Connection status is green and open - Select Get GEM info and ensure it populates and then load the Engine firmware using 19200 baud.

Once it loads and the GEM reboots, you need to go back to the Change COM1 baud and change it back to 115200. Otherwise the system will not let you connect to the GEM's set up page or will appear very slow or declare constant error messages etc.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:58 am

pmoles wrote:No joy but let me summarize what I have.....

Red Status Light, Yellow Comm Light

Downloaded latest firmware.....V1.49 Eng, V4.0 Comm

Run GEM Network Utility as Administrator

Select TCP Server, Set Port 80

Select Recovery Mode

Select Firmware File - have tried both above

Select Start

Receive 'No Connect' error

....also have tried Select Open

and repeat but appears to connection.
You need to open up the WiFi/Ethernet settings page (any web browser, http://<GEM-ip>/) and check your Application Settings section.

I would configure it for TCP Server, Port 8000 if it isn't.

Then in the GEM Network Utility use TCP Client, DashBox IP, Port 8000.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.