GEM sending data to EmonCMS directly

Ask questions about the GEM here.
mwareman

Re: GEM sending data to EmonCMS directly

Post by mwareman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:57 am

Joel,

Thanks for the offer! Right now, I'm simply trying to get the 32 power channels from the GEM to show in EmonCMS as 32 power feeds, and graph them.

If I assign an input to a feed, it gets created but never gets updated. That's because the input I used never got a second packet - EmonCMS is simply creating additional inputs with each packet. Kind of frustrating to say the least.

Once I've got the feeds coming in, I'm sure I'll then get into dealing with calculated feeds...

Michael.

Michael.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:11 am

I wonder if their cloud service is running a different version, that's what we tested the format with and it worked fine.

We're working on a new COM firmware which assigns a node to each GEM using the ending digits of the serial number, perhaps that will remedy your issue.

I would still suggest using BTMon.py if you can to process the GEM data first. Having to use deltas kind of sucks in terms of setup, and I'm not sure what affect rollovers will have on the data. It looks like there's some sort of feed to deal with rollovers, not exactly sure how it works though.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:29 pm

ben wrote:I wonder if their cloud service is running a different version, that's what we tested the format with and it worked fine.

We're working on a new COM firmware which assigns a node to each GEM using the ending digits of the serial number, perhaps that will remedy your issue.

I would still suggest using BTMon.py if you can to process the GEM data first. Having to use deltas kind of sucks in terms of setup, and I'm not sure what affect rollovers will have on the data. It looks like there's some sort of feed to deal with rollovers, not exactly sure how it works though.
Could be - I'll setup an account and test myself. It also could be I messed up the install on my own server. I do agree, adding a node ID will substantially help I think. It will also allow multiple GEM to send data to one server. Big thumbs up on that one!

I really don't want to be running yet another middle process if I can help it.

Thanks for all your help on this! I truly appreciate it.

Michael.
joelabq

Post by joelabq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:51 pm

I had that problem. What settings are you using on the feed? When I started I would always get no updates. The inputs would update regularly. Did you try just 'log to feed' with phpfina or phpfiwa w/ intervals around the same update time from your GEM?

Joel
joelabq

Post by joelabq » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Btw, the cloud version is now running 9.0 RC as of 2 days ago. I am now running 9.0RC on my server without issues with btmon.py.
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 pm

joelabq wrote:I had that problem. What settings are you using on the feed? When I started I would always get no updates. The inputs would update regularly. Did you try just 'log to feed' with phpfina or phpfiwa w/ intervals around the same update time from your GEM?

Joel
Haven't assigned any inputs to a feed yet - because I have over 30,000 inputs - with most days old (no data after the first packet) and the last 32 current. Every 10 seconds, a new packet, another 32 channels created. Not good!

I'm going to try the RC and see if that's any better.
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Argh... Tried the RC - cannot get it to work at all. Two different servers - one a shared hosting, the other my own host...

In both cases, 'Setup' 'Administration' yields:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /var/www/emoncms/Modules/admin/admin_controller.php on line 92

'Setup' 'Inputs' yields:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /var/www/emoncms/Modules/feed/feed_model.php on line 436

Same on both installs. I can only assume the current GIT version has terminal bugs.
joelabq

Post by joelabq » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 pm

mwareman wrote:
joelabq wrote:I had that problem. What settings are you using on the feed? When I started I would always get no updates. The inputs would update regularly. Did you try just 'log to feed' with phpfina or phpfiwa w/ intervals around the same update time from your GEM?

Joel
Haven't assigned any inputs to a feed yet - because I have over 30,000 inputs - with most days old (no data after the first packet) and the last 32 current. Every 10 seconds, a new packet, another 32 channels created. Not good!

I'm going to try the RC and see if that's any better.
If you don't pull an input into a feed, you won't have any data saved. Inputs are just the post of data to EmonCMS, nothing else. You shouldn't have 30,000 inputs - instead you should have the same(ish) number of inputs as you have channels on the GEM. I've got 40ish because btmon.py sends all my 28 active channels, the 4 unused, 8 temp, power, etc even if unused or blank.

The feed part is what saves the data. You can run calculations first, then log to feed, or simply log to feed. I find Log to feed as overall KWH is good, then log the same input again to a KWH/d feed (which resets daily to zero) for daily results.

Maybe that helps?
joelabq

Post by joelabq » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:55 pm

mwareman wrote:Argh... Tried the RC - cannot get it to work at all. Two different servers - one a shared hosting, the other my own host...

In both cases, 'Setup' 'Administration' yields:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' in /var/www/emoncms/Modules/admin/admin_controller.php on line 92

'Setup' 'Inputs' yields:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /var/www/emoncms/Modules/feed/feed_model.php on line 436

Same on both installs. I can only assume the current GIT version has terminal bugs.
That is odd. I would start by making sure you have the right versions and modules of php etc as required on the emoncms site. I had no issues with this install on CentOS Linux AWS instance. Haven't tried it elsewhere. All I did was upgrade my 8.4 install by moving the folder, then git'ing the 9.0RC, then editting the settings.php to reflect the appropriate settings. Viola!
scyto

Post by scyto » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:33 am

This maybe unhelpful but I have moved over to using nodelink to send my data to EMONCMS, while it is intended to work with an ISY 994i the GEM connectivity and emoncms upload seems to work independent from that.

Only caveats - it needs to talk to the GEM over IP (i.e. to COM1 and the packet format has to be 2 or 14).

It can also send to SEG - I haven't tested that.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/113-nodelink/