GEM reporterd as multiple IP addresses on my network.

Ask questions about the GEM here.
scyto

GEM reporterd as multiple IP addresses on my network.

Post by scyto » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:24 pm

I haven't connected to the GEM in maybe 5mo.
I had reconfigured after my last adventure to allow everything through the dashbox.
Though the wifi module AP and STA were still setup.

I was troubleshooting a router / NAS issue and I noticed I had ~25 hi-flying electronics company devices all with the same MAC address but different IPs. I couldn't connect to port 80 on any of those IPs.

Eventually I figured out this was the GEM STA, I connected to the AP and reconfigured it all (after a factory reset of the board) and now all is ok.

Paul, is this a know issue? Anyway to prevent it?

alex
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM reporterd as multiple IP addresses on my network.

Post by ben » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:29 am

Was DHCP enabled? Sounds like your router wasn't assigning the same IP to the device every time.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:56 am

It should be noted some routers such as the LinkSys branded ones have some kind of bug where it will add and show multiple devices with out any reason at all.

I've seen this same issue in three generations of their routers as displayed below.

Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Well there is the odd thing, the router only thinks it gave the adapter one lease and only sees one device.

It seems what was happening is that the adapter on the GEM was promiscuously replying to multiple IPs. So for example if I did an IP address scan with a network monitor it would find that for ~25 addresses the MAC address of the GEM replied to the ARP and PING. Also the GEM appeared uncontactable on any of those IPs. So to be clear the GEM replied to pings on any one of ~25 addresses from multiple machines (which should be impossible).

The device would have had an uptime of many many months, I suspect it just has a longhaul bug in it / got its panties in a bunch - I will only pursue the issue if it comes back :-)
scyto

Post by scyto » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 am

Since I disabled the wifi module (or rather just set back to default state) I have not had this issue again. I am putting the door at the wifi/Ethernet combo module - it is funky.

Just FYI.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:22 pm

We have had something similar happen when hooking up to Ethernet, where the module would take an IP address taken up by one of our DashBoxes. Not with WiFi however.

What's the F/W number under Application Settings, if interested, we could try a newer F/W (if there is one).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 pm

ben wrote:We have had something similar happen when hooking up to Ethernet, where the module would take an IP address taken up by one of our DashBoxes. Not with WiFi however.

What's the F/W number under Application Settings, if interested, we could try a newer F/W (if there is one).
Not sure if I am being stupid, but all i could find was this in the device page 4.02.08T.25.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 pm

scyto wrote:
ben wrote:We have had something similar happen when hooking up to Ethernet, where the module would take an IP address taken up by one of our DashBoxes. Not with WiFi however.

Not sure if I am being stupid, but all i could find was this in the device page 4.02.08T.25.
We have a newer version it looks like, email me if interested (ben(at)brultech.com).

4.02.10.C1224.01
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.