Best way to show "real-time" power

Ask questions about the GEM here.
mark_anderson_us

Best way to show "real-time" power

Post by mark_anderson_us » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 am

Hi All

Have GEM hooked up to all 30 channels of my panel and STS connection to Dashbox (NO NETWORK to GEM other than via Dash on port 8001).

I just moved into a new house and want to determine which channel every light and receptacle is on. My plan was to connect to Brultech on my iPad and walk round house switching on every light and plugging in a hairdryer to each receptacle to see which channel's Watts jumped when the light/hairdryer was turned on.

What's the best way to get this realtime view. Live Data view from dash on iPad is way too slow - virtually kills my iPad. Even if it worked, it's an 8-second update

Thanks

mark
Teken

Re: Best way to show "real-time" power

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:26 am

mark_anderson_us wrote:Hi All

Have GEM hooked up to all 30 channels of my panel and STS connection to Dashbox (NO NETWORK to GEM other than via Dash on port 8001).

I just moved into a new house and want to determine which channel every light and receptacle is on. My plan was to connect to Brultech on my iPad and walk round house switching on every light and plugging in a hairdryer to each receptacle to see which channel's Watts jumped when the light/hairdryer was turned on.

What's the best way to get this realtime view. Live Data view from dash on iPad is way too slow - virtually kills my iPad. Even if it worked, it's an 8-second update

Thanks

mark
The closet thing to live is via the GEM's set up page under live view tab. Keep in mind you can change the send interval / update to what ever you want to help reduce the time lag. The Dash Box should reflect the same speed of updates so not sure why you're seeing longer times.

I have never had any issues using a iPad / Android tablet so more than likely its a combination of slow refresh and WiFi.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 am

Yeah, as Teken stated the live data page in the GEM setup is likely your best bet to get near real-time values as you'll be getting values directly from the GEM itself.

I'll take a look at the live page.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Teken wrote:

Thanks

mark
The closet thing to live is via the GEM's set up page under live view tab. Keep in mind you can change the send interval / update to what ever you want to help reduce the time lag. The Dash Box should reflect the same speed of updates so not sure why you're seeing longer times.

I have never had any issues using a iPad / Android tablet so more than likely its a combination of slow refresh and WiFi.
Tried setting to 1 sec, but it resets to 2 sec. i guess I'll have to live with that.

If I set to 2 secs is that the frequency DASHBOX sends to SEG (there's no frequency setting for that on dash)
Teken

Best way to show

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:58 pm

mark_anderson_us wrote:
Teken wrote:

Thanks

mark

Tried setting to 1 sec, but it resets to 2 sec. i guess I'll have to live with that.

If I set to 2 secs is that the frequency DASHBOX sends to SEG (there's no frequency setting for that on dash)
Hello Mark,

The dash box is hard coded to forward to SEG on a 60 second interval which provides the best balance of accuracy and real time monitoring.

Sam at SEG indicated his service had a hard time processing data below 30 seconds and causes rounding issues.

I've asked Ben to allow us to manually set the DB send interval to SEG in the past. If you see value in this feature please lend your voice to that feature request in the DB Feature Forum.

NOTE: There are three send intervals and all of them are mutually exclusive to one another. The Dash Box is hard coded to send to SEG at a 60 second interval data rate.

The GEM's internal web page can provide live viewing of the energy readings at a rate of 2 seconds and above. On the other tab where it shows the COM protocol in use this determines the send rate to the Dash Box / ISY Series Controller.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10