Main Feed shows way less power than sum of all channels

Ask questions about the GEM here.
mark_anderson_us

Main Feed shows way less power than sum of all channels

Post by mark_anderson_us » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:54 am

Hi All

Bought ECM-1240's in 2010. Recently bought GEM and Dashbox. I used my Split 200's from the ECM's connected to Ch32. The two CT's are installed on two hot legs facing same direction and connected to terminal pins 1-2 and 3-4.

The Channel CT is set to 144 /2 and Multiply by 2 is checked (has 1 in 240v column)

The power on this channel is way lower than just my AC channel

My voltage also says 97.9 (PT is at default of 238 / 4). Can it really be that low? My Furman UPS fluctuates around 120v (+/- 1v typically)

What am I missing?

Regards

Mark
ben
Site Admin

Re: Main Feed shows way less power than sum of all channels

Post by ben » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 am

Can you make sure the PT plug is plugged in all the way? We've had situations where its been plugged in half-way.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 am

mark_anderson_us wrote:Hi All

Bought ECM-1240's in 2010. Recently bought GEM and Dashbox. I used my Split 200's from the ECM's connected to Ch32. The two CT's are installed on two hot legs facing same direction and connected to terminal pins 1-2 and 3-4.

The Channel CT is set to 144 /2 and Multiply by 2 is checked (has 1 in 240v column)

My voltage also says 97.9 (PT is at default of 238 / 4). Can it really be that low? My Furman UPS fluctuates around 120v (+/- 1v typically)

What am I missing?

Regards

Mark
Hello Mark,

If you're indeed using two CT's you will not want to use *Multiply by 2*. With respect to the voltage reading you need to measure the outlet where the PT is installed with a true RMS DMM.

This will let you know what the true line voltage is at the outlet. Taking that data you will adjust the PT *Type*. I am curious did you in fact adjust the range to 4 or was it always like that from the factory?

In my Install thread near the bottom of page five explains the process and what you need to do to adjust the voltage and why some value are used based on the header in place.

NOTE: I also understand the GEM's using the blue PCB boards have the value set to 4. If your board is blue in color you can leave the value at 4 and adjust the *Type* until the GEM matches the values on your true RMS digital multi meter (DMM).
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 pm

Teken wrote:

What am I missing?

Regards

Mark
Hello Mark,

If you're indeed using two CT's you will not want to use *Multiply by 2*. With respect to the voltage reading you need to measure the outlet where the PT is installed with a true RMS DMM.

This will let you know what the true line voltage is at the outlet. Taking that data you will adjust the PT *Type*. I am curious did you in fact adjust the range to 4 or was it always like that from the factory?

In my Install thread near the bottom of page five explains the process and what you need to do to adjust the voltage and why some value are used based on the header in place.

NOTE: I also understand the GEM's using the blue PCB boards have the value set to 4. If your board is blue in color you can leave the value at 4 and adjust the *Type* until the GEM matches the values on your true RMS digital multi meter (DMM).
Unfortunately my DMM is still packed (in an unknown box :-()
It was set to 4 from factory and board is Blue

So I also have 2 240v circuits (AC and Oven) with 2 CT's, I should turn off 240v on those too?
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

mark_anderson_us wrote:
Teken wrote:

What am I missing?

Regards

Mark
Hello Mark,

Unfortunately my DMM is still packed (in an unknown box :-()
It was set to 4 from factory and board is Blue

So I also have 2 240v circuits (AC and Oven) with 2 CT's, I should turn off 240v on those too?
Hello Mark,

If using two CT's you should disable multiply by 2. This feature is only used for those having one CT in place which helps people save on CT cost etc.

If your board is blue leave the value of 4 in place. Once you locate the DMM you can fine tune the PT value to reflect real world conditions.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10