COM 4.0 Firmware

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Teken

Re: COM 4.0 Firmware

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:35 pm

mwareman wrote:I'm not sure what an 'STS Cable' is. If I remember correctly, its a cable that came with the Dashbox (jack on the Dashbox end, open conductors on the other end) and I connected the open conductors to the COM connector on the GEM, per the manual that came with the Dashbox.

That being said, I'm working from memory...

Michael.
Yes, the STS cable is the serial cable.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Teken wrote:
mwareman wrote:I'm not sure what an 'STS Cable' is. If I remember correctly, its a cable that came with the Dashbox (jack on the Dashbox end, open conductors on the other end) and I connected the open conductors to the COM connector on the GEM, per the manual that came with the Dashbox.

That being said, I'm working from memory...

Michael.
Yes, the STS cable is the serial cable.
Thanks!

In that case - yes. Serial connection.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 am

mwareman wrote: Thanks!

Do you happen to also have a WiFi/Ethernet module?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:34 am

ben wrote:
mwareman wrote: Thanks!

Do you happen to also have a WiFi/Ethernet module?
The GEM has Wifi yes. It's on COM1 I believe and the DB is connected on the other COM port.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 am

Can you make sure Flow Control is off on COM1 and COM2?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
peppersass

Post by peppersass » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:19 pm

I updated to GEM COM 4.0 and DB 4.2.0a7 about a week ago. Everything seemed to be working OK, but I was getting offline-online emails once or twice a day from SEG. Usually the data would start flowing by itself after a random delay of from one hour to several hours. But if I logged into the Dashbox after getting an offline email and monitored the Live Data, I would get an online message from SEG within a few minutes.

My GEM communicates with the DB on COM 1. Today I read this thread and found that my Auto Reset and No Response setting on COM 1 were zero. Don't know what they were before the 4.0 update. I set Auto Response to 255 and left No Response at zero. I also disabled Flow Control on COM 1, which had been enabled.

No negative effects from the change. Too early to tell whether the problem is fixed, but I'll monitor it for a few days and post the results.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 pm

peppersass wrote:I updated to GEM COM 4.0 and DB 4.2.0a7 about a week ago. Everything seemed to be working OK, but I was getting offline-online emails once or twice a day from SEG. Usually the data would start flowing by itself after a random delay of from one hour to several hours. But if I logged into the Dashbox after getting an offline email and monitored the Live Data, I would get an online message from SEG within a few minutes.

My GEM communicates with the DB on COM 1. Today I read this thread and found that my Auto Reset and No Response setting on COM 1 were zero. Don't know what they were before the 4.0 update. I set Auto Response to 255 and left No Response at zero. I also disabled Flow Control on COM 1, which had been enabled.

No negative effects from the change. Too early to tell whether the problem is fixed, but I'll monitor it for a few days and post the results.
There's a problem with the DashBox sending to SEG. It cuts out at random. It backtracks and refills once it comes back up however.

I'm looking into it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:56 pm

ben wrote:Can you make sure Flow Control is off on COM1 and COM2?
COM2 flow control was already off (the serial link to the DB). COM1 was on - I have turned it off.

That being said - since I applied the settings @Teken suggested I have not had a single notification from the DB of no data for a minute.

Michael.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:46 am

mwareman wrote:
ben wrote:Can you make sure Flow Control is off on COM1 and COM2?
COM2 flow control was already off (the serial link to the DB). COM1 was on - I have turned it off.

That being said - since I applied the settings @Teken suggested I have not had a single notification from the DB of no data for a minute.

Michael.
COM1 Flow Control would cause that issue. If the WiFi/Ethernet module can't send out, the GEM is going to keep retrying to send that packet to the module until it's clear. If it never gets cleared, then it'll never send packets.

COM1/COM2 share the same buffer, so it would also affect COM2.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:11 am

Thanks Ben! I very much appreciate the explanation.