"dry-contact" pulse counter overcounting?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
robbert2012

"dry-contact" pulse counter overcounting?

Post by robbert2012 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:34 pm

I'm using 3 of the 4 pulse counters on the GEM. The DC voltage pulsers work great. But he dry-contact counter counts about 4 for every dry-contact closure. I'm creating the dry-contact with a small (mechanical) relay, whose clicking I can hear. Since the GEM documentation says that the pulses must be .5 sec long, I'm generating dry-contact pulses of .6 seconds. Extrapolating from that, I'm assuming that any bounce in the relays is taking care of by the GEM.

So what is wrong? And what can I do about it? Would a solid state relay fix this?

Thanks,

Bert
ben
Site Admin

Re: "dry-contact" pulse counter overcounting?

Post by ben » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:49 am

Try putting a capacitor in line with the pulse input, 0.1mF.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
robbert2012

Post by robbert2012 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:58 pm

Note that I'm using the dry contact pulse input. So I would put a capacitor in line with the GEM circuitry. That is strange because why would theGEM not have that capacitor already.

Just making sure we are on the same page.

Bert
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:30 am

robbert2012 wrote:Note that I'm using the dry contact pulse input. So I would put a capacitor in line with the GEM circuitry. That is strange because why would theGEM not have that capacitor already.

Just making sure we are on the same page.

Bert
In parallel across the two dry contact pulse inputs.

If you're doing anything high-speed, the capacitor may suppress the pulses.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
robbert2012

Post by robbert2012 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 am

Ben,

"in parallel" makes more sense.

The GEM manual says that the pulses should be .5 sec long. That implies that nothing high speed should happen on these circuits... So I created circuitry (an Arduino) to transform many pulses into one per .5 sec. So I was very surprised that the GEM picked up bounce from my little relay...

I'll try the capacitor.

Thanks

Bert
Teken

Post by Teken » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:01 am

robbert2012 wrote:Ben,

"in parallel" makes more sense.

The GEM manual says that the pulses should be .5 sec long. That implies that nothing high speed should happen on these circuits... So I created circuitry (an Arduino) to transform many pulses into one per .5 sec. So I was very surprised that the GEM picked up bounce from my little relay...

I'll try the capacitor.

Thanks

Bert
Hello Bert,

For the benefit of others in the forum could you expand on the use case and what you have done so others may follow along. This may provide others a solution to a problem or insight into how to use the power of the GEM to offer tracking data etc.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10