GEM Stopped Sending Data

Ask questions about the GEM here.
mattm55

GEM Stopped Sending Data

Post by mattm55 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:21 am

Hey guys,

A few days ago my GEM stopped sending data (lost communication). I did try to reboot the GEM and also removed the battery for 5 minutes and then plug the power back to the GEM.

I have the Pwr and Com lights a steady green but was wondering what the procedure is to do a hard reset? I think that is what's needed?

I can get to the web setup utility page but that doesn't seem to matter other than telling me the Wi-Fi connection is working.

Notes: I did the Firmware and Com updates about 3-4 months ago but not sure of the versions without a com connection.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Stopped Sending Data

Post by ben » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:57 am

mattm55 wrote:Hey guys,

A few days ago my GEM stopped sending data (lost communication). I did try to reboot the GEM and also removed the battery for 5 minutes and then plug the power back to the GEM.

I have the Pwr and Com lights a steady green but was wondering what the procedure is to do a hard reset? I think that is what's needed?

I can get to the web setup utility page but that doesn't seem to matter other than telling me the Wi-Fi connection is working.

Notes: I did the Firmware and Com updates about 3-4 months ago but not sure of the versions without a com connection.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
You can reload the COM firmware by unplugging the GEM, holding in the button at the bottom, and plugging it back in. The SYS LED should be red at this point indicating Recovery Mode.

Now you can connect with the GEM Network Utility and load the COM firmware via Recovery. Make sure the baud rate on the WiFi is set to 19200.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks Ben.

That worked and allowed me to update the GEM f/w COM and ENG and then communicate with the GEM again.

Unfortunately, when I changed the baud back to 115200, it borked the COM again. I'll repeat the process.

Thanks, Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 pm

mattm55 wrote:Thanks Ben.

That worked and allowed me to update the GEM f/w COM and ENG and then communicate with the GEM again.

Unfortunately, when I changed the baud back to 115200, it borked the COM again. I'll repeat the process.

Thanks, Matt
Make sure your Hardware Option is set correctly under "Firmware". If it isn't, it'll change the baud rate on the GEM and not your communication module.

If it's not set correctly, you just have to manually change it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks Ben.

Yeah, I hate to be a pain here but I can't seem to get the GEM working again. I've held power down and plugged in and reloaded/recovered firmware but cant get it back to communicating.

1. I can reload the COM firmware. (sometimes its slow loading like hours and sometimes its quick) Completes OK

Then I get a Fail trying to get the GEM Serial Number.

2. I can try to manually set the baud in Firmware to 19200 but get a GEM Baud Error 13: Type Mismatch.

Is there another process I can use to reset the GEM to a backlevel and then do the upgrade to the COM/ENG again?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 am

mattm55 wrote:1. I can reload the COM firmware. (sometimes its slow loading like hours and sometimes its quick) Completes OK
If it goes slow, my guess here is you can assume it's not loading the firmware and just interpreting the garbage coming back as progress.
mattm55 wrote: 2. I can try to manually set the baud in Firmware to 19200 but get a GEM Baud Error 13: Type Mismatch.

Is there another process I can use to reset the GEM to a backlevel and then do the upgrade to the COM/ENG again?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
What comm. module do you have? From 1., if it's loading slow it almost sounds like the GEM is running at 115200 and the module is running at 19200.

Can you check the left LED (Sys), what color is it? If it's green, does it flash red periodically?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Well, I have some progress and it seems to have loaded the COM 3.24 and ENG 1.49 installed and it can now link to the GEM thru the Network Utility again.
gemDebug1.jpg
gemDebug1.jpg (178.86 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:32 am

Hey Ben,

It looks like I'm still stuck with the GEM. I thought I had it back communicating but not sure where to go from here. I've gone thru the manual(s) again and can't seem to get unstuck.

Here is where I'm at and any help would be appreciated.

1. I have (or think I have) upgraded to the latest COM/ENG firmware. COM=3.24, ENG=1.49 as shown in the screenshot.

2. After that, I went into my web configuration (192.168.1.50) and set the GEM to AP mode. I'm not sure why but I wasn't getting to the new setup screens and wanted to reconfigure the GEM.

A. That's where it seems to be stuck. Right now I can connect thru WiFi to the GreenEye with a PC that's isolated from the network. It sees and connects but that is it. I've tried http://1.2.3.4, http://192.168.2.2 and I get a nothing returned in the browser.

B. I then tried the Network discover utility and it shows the GEM on 192.168.1.50 & 192.168.1.51 but has and "ConnectionErr" (I think that is what is shows)?

C. I then tried resetting with F4 and the F5 as per instructions, no changes.

D. One thing is that the COM light is yellow and that my isolated PC connected is getting an IP in the 192.168.1.xxx and it looks like my original settings are not being overriden thru the resets.

E. I can't communicate to Connect to retry the Recovery of the COM and ENG thru the utility.

Lastly, the reason why I tried the AP mode in the first place is I was never getting to the screens where I could setup the CT's for the GEM that are shown in the manual.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I'll try them and report back...

Thanks, Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed May 06, 2015 9:47 am

mattm55 wrote:Hey Ben,

It looks like I'm still stuck with the GEM. I thought I had it back communicating but not sure where to go from here. I've gone thru the manual(s) again and can't seem to get unstuck.

Here is where I'm at and any help would be appreciated.

1. I have (or think I have) upgraded to the latest COM/ENG firmware. COM=3.24, ENG=1.49 as shown in the screenshot.

2. After that, I went into my web configuration (192.168.1.50) and set the GEM to AP mode. I'm not sure why but I wasn't getting to the new setup screens and wanted to reconfigure the GEM.

A. That's where it seems to be stuck. Right now I can connect thru WiFi to the GreenEye with a PC that's isolated from the network. It sees and connects but that is it. I've tried http://1.2.3.4, http://192.168.2.2 and I get a nothing returned in the browser.

B. I then tried the Network discover utility and it shows the GEM on 192.168.1.50 & 192.168.1.51 but has and "ConnectionErr" (I think that is what is shows)?

C. I then tried resetting with F4 and the F5 as per instructions, no changes.

D. One thing is that the COM light is yellow and that my isolated PC connected is getting an IP in the 192.168.1.xxx and it looks like my original settings are not being overriden thru the resets.

E. I can't communicate to Connect to retry the Recovery of the COM and ENG thru the utility.

Lastly, the reason why I tried the AP mode in the first place is I was never getting to the screens where I could setup the CT's for the GEM that are shown in the manual.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I'll try them and report back...

Thanks, Matt
Did you just switch it to AP mode? If you just switched it to AP mode without changing any other settings, it'll retain all your original settings which is likely why it's showing up as 192.168.1.XX.

Have you tried 2.3 in this manual? http://brultech.com/home/software/index ... -W_1_7.pdf

Specifically:

In order to set the GEM’s WiFi module to its default values, repeat the two steps described above except
this time, during the sequence where the red LED flashes three times, briefly press and release the PB
switch. This must be done anytime during the red flash sequence but before the next sequence begins.
If for some reason you missed pressing the PB during the red sequence, allow the entire sequence to
complete then try again. It is important not to press the PB switch during sequences other that the red
sequence since doing so will execute a different function.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:39 am

ben wrote:
Did you just switch it to AP mode? If you just switched it to AP mode without changing any other settings, it'll retain all your original settings which is likely why it's showing up as 192.168.1.XX.

Have you tried 2.3 in this manual? http://brultech.com/home/software/index ... -W_1_7.pdf

Specifically:

In order to set the GEM’s WiFi module to its default values, repeat the two steps described above except
this time, during the sequence where the red LED flashes three times, briefly press and release the PB
switch. This must be done anytime during the red flash sequence but before the next sequence begins.
If for some reason you missed pressing the PB during the red sequence, allow the entire sequence to
complete then try again. It is important not to press the PB switch during sequences other that the red
sequence since doing so will execute a different function.
Hey Ben,

Yes, I just switched to the AP mode and that's what caused the issue. I did try what was suggested (PB > Flash > PB) but the GEM didn't seem to configure the wireless settings and still was getting the 192.168.1.x values.

1. I then went through the manuals again and found that I missed the reset button on the wireless module. I pushed that and it reset the GEM so I could connect to the AP again using 192.168.2.x. I figured I don't have any problems starting from scratch so that was my best option.

2. Now I have the GEM wireless setup/configured to connect again to 192.168.1.50 (fixed IP).

3. I can run the network utility and now see (w/o Error) the GEM as 192.168.1.50:80 and 192.168.1.50:8000. Unfortunately, I now can't seem to connect to read the GEM configuration thru the Network Tool. I've used 192.168.1.50:8000 in TCPServer or TCP Client mode.
gemDebug2.jpg
gemDebug2.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
I also can't access 192.168.1.50:8000 webpage to configure any of the CT's, etc... Kinda where I was before but at least I could update the f/w.

Any more help would be appreciated...

Thanks, Matt