GEM Wifi/Ethernet - config for ethernet only?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
wstefanc

GEM Wifi/Ethernet - config for ethernet only?

Post by wstefanc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:03 pm

I tried following the directions in the PDF file for setting up the Wifi/Ethernet for a hardwired connection, but it didn't match my firmware at all. I was forced to transition to hardwired because the WiFi connection was totally unreliable even with the APs very near the GEM. I am running the latest firmware versions.

I did finally get something to work after pretty much brute forcing all combinations of configuration I could dream up. The only way I got a the wired connection to work was to reset the Comm module and not configure it at all. Just plugged in the ethernet connection and let it come up via DHCP.

While this appears to work and is more stable than using the WiFi STA mode, is there anything else I should have done? Is there more recent documentation I should be reading?
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Wifi/Ethernet - config for ethernet only?

Post by ben » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:12 am

wstefanc wrote:I tried following the directions in the PDF file for setting up the Wifi/Ethernet for a hardwired connection, but it didn't match my firmware at all. I was forced to transition to hardwired because the WiFi connection was totally unreliable even with the APs very near the GEM. I am running the latest firmware versions.

I did finally get something to work after pretty much brute forcing all combinations of configuration I could dream up. The only way I got a the wired connection to work was to reset the Comm module and not configure it at all. Just plugged in the ethernet connection and let it come up via DHCP.

While this appears to work and is more stable than using the WiFi STA mode, is there anything else I should have done? Is there more recent documentation I should be reading?
Under Device Management, there's a long number at the top, that's the version number.

What version number is your WiFi/Ethernet module?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
wstefanc

Post by wstefanc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 pm

The version number from device manager is: 4.02.08T.25

How do I determine what version number my WiFi/Ethernet module is? Perhaps context around the purchase will help determine this... I purchased the GEM with the this module on 2014-04-11. It sat in the box an embarrassing amount of time. I just installed it this weekend. :oops:
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 am

wstefanc wrote:The version number from device manager is: 4.02.08T.25

How do I determine what version number my WiFi/Ethernet module is? Perhaps context around the purchase will help determine this... I purchased the GEM with the this module on 2014-04-11. It sat in the box an embarrassing amount of time. I just installed it this weekend. :oops:
Sent you a newer firmware for the WiFi/Ethernet. When in AP mode, the Ethernet settings should take over the STA Static IP settings with it. Also, there's the option to add a gateway now.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com