questions from a new customer: GEM & DashBox

Ask questions about the GEM here.
robbert2012

questions from a new customer: GEM & DashBox

Post by robbert2012 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 am

I'm trying to connect my GEM and Dashbox but it is not very clear what is required.
I clicked the Dashbox button in the "Data Post" tab of the setup screen and put in the IP address of my dashbox. Is there anything else to be done?

Then I go to my Dashbox and click "connect a monitor", type in the serial of my GEM, but the Dashbox says "unknown devices".

Also, I set the GEM in "input wattage simulation" but nothing came across. Will the GEM send simulated wattage to the DashBox?

I'm trying to make it all work smoothly before it gets wired in...

Thanks

Bert
ben
Site Admin

Re: questions from a new customer: GEM & DashBox

Post by ben » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 am

robbert2012 wrote:I'm trying to connect my GEM and Dashbox but it is not very clear what is required.
I clicked the Dashbox button in the "Data Post" tab of the setup screen and put in the IP address of my dashbox. Is there anything else to be done?

Then I go to my Dashbox and click "connect a monitor", type in the serial of my GEM, but the Dashbox says "unknown devices".

Also, I set the GEM in "input wattage simulation" but nothing came across. Will the GEM send simulated wattage to the DashBox?

I'm trying to make it all work smoothly before it gets wired in...

Thanks

Bert
Bert,

Every DashBox comes with a cable which we call the "STS" (Stereo-to-serial) cable. It hooks up to COM1 or COM2 on the DashBox via the stereo jack and 3-wires go back to the GEM. If you use this method, all you need to do is set your Primary Packet Format to Bin-48-NET-Time.

You can also track issues through the "Baud Rate" section of the DashBox. Issues are usually one of two things, unmatching baud rates (which can be tested by opening up http://dashbox-ip:8001/ for COM1 on the DashBox, and :8002 for COM2 on the DashBox, if the baud rates are correct the GEM setup webpage will come up), or invalid packet format.

The other way of connecting is through your Network, set Primary Packet Format to HTTP Get, under Data Post click the DashBox button, input the DashBox IP and hit Save. Then go to the Network tab and input the DashBox IP there for Server IP, and Port 80.

The DashBox will say Unknown Device until it receives its first packet from the device. Then it'll determine which energy monitor it is.

Watt simulation is only for testing purposes, I wouldn't bother with that.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
robbert2012

Post by robbert2012 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:56 pm

For some reason, I either lost the STS cable or it was not included with my dashboard. Regardless, I was planning to use wifi to connect GEM and DB.

The reason I was using Watt Simulation is to create some data, since I have not connected any CTs. I did connect the "PT" though.. So in this case, should there be traffic going from the GEM to DB?

So reading your response, the IP address of the DB needs to be entered twice, once in "Data post" and once in "Network".

And additional minor thing:
My GEM doesn't match your documentation because it also has a "fault sense" and "GND" connector. What are they for?

Thanks,
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 am

robbert2012 wrote:For some reason, I either lost the STS cable or it was not included with my dashboard. Regardless, I was planning to use wifi to connect GEM and DB.

The reason I was using Watt Simulation is to create some data, since I have not connected any CTs. I did connect the "PT" though.. So in this case, should there be traffic going from the GEM to DB?

So reading your response, the IP address of the DB needs to be entered twice, once in "Data post" and once in "Network".

And additional minor thing:
My GEM doesn't match your documentation because it also has a "fault sense" and "GND" connector. What are they for?

Thanks,
Correct, once in Data Post and once in Network. The network one is the one that usually gets overlooked. Need to make sure it's Port 80 also.

Yeah, we made a recent revision with a few small changes to the GEM board. I'm unable to ask anyone right now, but I'm pretty sure that new terminal is linked to the on-board Ethernet port in case any new regulations come up that require things to be grounded.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com