COM 3.24 Firmware

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: COM 3.24 Firmware

Post by ben » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:15 am

scyto wrote:Thanks, I did read the manual but found that picture and accompanying text hard to parse.

So I think you are suggesting connect the DashBox to Com2, disable the xbee and connect btmon.py over the Ethernet to the GEM.

Right? (sorry to be dense here)
The XBee module and DashBox will conflict over the Rx line. If you don't plan on talking to the GEM through the DashBox, this isn't an issue as you'd just leave the Rx line of the STS cable disconnected.

Another note here is that BTMon and the DashBox can run using the same packet format, so all you'd have to do is remove the Rx line on COM1 of the STS cable and you'd be good also.

If you want to have access to the GEM through 8001 or 8002 on COM2, you'll need to disable the Xbee module then pop the Xbee module out (make sure the unit is powered down while doing so).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks, no I don't want to access the GEM via 8001 or 8002 on the DB.

Just want the DB to get its data from the GEM and forward to SEG and for BTMON to collect data from GEM or DB and forward to emoncms. I will do BTMON to GEM for now as I don't think there is any reason to do btmon to DB.

What do I loose if I unplug the RX line?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:31 am

scyto wrote:Thanks, no I don't want to access the GEM via 8001 or 8002 on the DB.

Just want the DB to get its data from the GEM and forward to SEG and for BTMON to collect data from GEM or DB and forward to emoncms. I will do BTMON to GEM for now as I don't think there is any reason to do btmon to DB.

What do I loose if I unplug the RX line?
The Rx line on the GEM is to receive commands, you'll just lose access over 8001/8002.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Post by scyto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi Ben, I still think I am confused.

I checked my physical install and it seems that the DB is indeed connected to COM2 and the packet format is 4: Bin48-NET-TIME

COM1 is set to 3: HTTP GET - I am not sure, what if anything this is being used for.
If I want btmon.py to connect over network to the GRM directly what do I need to set this to?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:27 am

scyto wrote:Hi Ben, I still think I am confused.

I checked my physical install and it seems that the DB is indeed connected to COM2 and the packet format is 4: Bin48-NET-TIME

COM1 is set to 3: HTTP GET - I am not sure, what if anything this is being used for.
If I want btmon.py to connect over network to the GRM directly what do I need to set this to?
Bin-48-NET-Time I think is what btmon.py uses also.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Post by scyto » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks Ben! Guess I wasn't sure what I was ding with com1 when I commissioned the system and never changed it once I got the DB working.

This is now uploading to emoncms and I have the DB working just fine :-) I will also try uploads to other services.

I assume with this configuration the xbee will never work right (not that I am using it for anything). Correct.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:49 am

scyto wrote:Thanks Ben! Guess I wasn't sure what I was ding with com1 when I commissioned the system and never changed it once I got the DB working.

This is now uploading to emoncms and I have the DB working just fine :-) I will also try uploads to other services.

I assume with this configuration the xbee will never work right (not that I am using it for anything). Correct.
You should be able to have btmon, DashBox, and Xbee working.

Turn COM1 to Bin-48-NET-Time.

Hook up the DashBox STS cable to the GND and Tx COM1 headers, use WiFi/Ethernet with btmon.

COM2 is now free for whatever you want.

Basically, as long as the programs use the same packet format, you can hook up whatever you want to listen in on the packets (Tx line) of a given COM port.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Oh cool so the DB can connect to com1 and things can access over the Ethernet - cool.

Guess I need to decide if I get the xbee version of ISY :-)