GEM Wifi/Ethernet V2 Intermittant operation

Ask questions about the GEM here.
AllanMar

GEM Wifi/Ethernet V2 Intermittant operation

Post by AllanMar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:09 am

I've been using my new GEM for about a week now and it's set to send data every 30sec. I've noticed that every one and a while (20-30mins), it stops sending and doesn't come back for probably another 30+mins. It will come back if I use the network config page to reset the Ethernet module. I'm not sure if this is related to Wifi or not?

I'm currently using Wifi and I'd rather not, but I couldn't get wired configured correctly. It appeared as though it was not getting the DHCP settings (no DNS server). The only way I could get DHCP to work was using Wifi.

Also, even through the module is set to STA mode, it still has the AP available? How do I disable the AP?
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Wifi/Ethernet V2 Intermittant operation

Post by ben » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:06 pm

AllanMar wrote:I've been using my new GEM for about a week now and it's set to send data every 30sec. I've noticed that every one and a while (20-30mins), it stops sending and doesn't come back for probably another 30+mins. It will come back if I use the network config page to reset the Ethernet module. I'm not sure if this is related to Wifi or not?

I'm currently using Wifi and I'd rather not, but I couldn't get wired configured correctly. It appeared as though it was not getting the DHCP settings (no DNS server). The only way I could get DHCP to work was using Wifi.

Also, even through the module is set to STA mode, it still has the AP available? How do I disable the AP?
If an AP is available, that usually means that the WiFI/Ethernet is having issues connecting to your router.

Can you check the signal strength of your router near the GEM via a cellphone/laptop?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
AllanMar

Post by AllanMar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Ben,

Don't want to keep two conversations going (email and here), but since this was a different question.

The GEM is about 3ft from my router, when i check on my router status page it indicates 95-100% signal (best of all my clients). I also don't seem to have issues connecting to the module config page via wifi.
Zhentar

Post by Zhentar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am

I'm having similar issues (although on the scale of days, rather than just 30 minutes at a time), and the Greeneye AP is always visible.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:47 am

Zhentar wrote:I'm having similar issues (although on the scale of days, rather than just 30 minutes at a time), and the Greeneye AP is always visible.
There's a setting under the GreenEye Advanced settings in the setup webpage called COM1 Auto Reset. This will periodically reset the WiFi/Ethernet module, it generally helps keep a stable connection.

Try setting it to "250".
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Zhentar

Post by Zhentar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:45 pm

I've almost tripled my previous uptime record at this point, so I think it's safe to say that did the trick. Thanks!
robbert2012

Post by robbert2012 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:09 pm

I have similar issues. My GEM quit responding/sending over wify to my dashboard. My GEM also didn't respond to a ping. I rebooted the GEM and it connected again,

I did just now set the auto-restart to 250 as suggested.

However, it doesn't look like the GEM wifi is as reliable as it should be. So I think I will move my dashboard and connect it to the GEM with the serial cable.

Thanks,

Bert
Teken

Post by Teken » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:48 am

robbert2012 wrote:I have similar issues. My GEM quit responding/sending over wify to my dashboard. My GEM also didn't respond to a ping. I rebooted the GEM and it connected again,

However, it doesn't look like the GEM wifi is as reliable as it should be. So I think I will move my dashboard and connect it to the GEM with the serial cable.

Thanks,

Bert
Hello Bert,

I believe wiring with the serial cable is indeed the best and most robust method.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:07 am

robbert2012 wrote:I have similar issues. My GEM quit responding/sending over wify to my dashboard. My GEM also didn't respond to a ping. I rebooted the GEM and it connected again,

Thanks,

Bert
Is this a WiFi-only unit? That module has an issue where it'll sometimes get stuck trying to re-establish a connection. Setting the Auto-Restart solves this. It connects up to the router very quickly so there shouldn't be any noticeable consequence of doing so.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.