Problems with new GEM Ethernet/Wifi

Ask questions about the GEM here.
bjcatlin

Problems with new GEM Ethernet/Wifi

Post by bjcatlin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello,

I just received a new GEM Ethernet/Wifi. I was able to connect to it via the 1.2.3.4 IP address, and I have it configured for a static IP address via ethernet.

All of the port 80 web pages work perfectly. Port 8000 does not respond at all (times out). When I try to use the GEM Network Utility (versions 5.8, 5.9 or 6.0), it is not able to communicate via port 8000. I think it was version 5.9 that would show "Requesting GEM Serial Number", then I'd get an error "Refresh error 2 0 \ Response data = \ Data Length = 0". The other versions just say that they can't communicate. All 3 version of the GEM Network Utility do see both the port 80 and port 8000 when I scan for them. They will show the green "Connected" box, but nothing else seems to work.

In the Application Settings, I do have the Network Setting configured for port 8000/TCP, Server mode, Max TCP = 32, and TCP Timeout set to 300.

I can't tell you the firmware version numbers since I can't get it to respond on the Network Utility. But on the port 80 Device Management page, it does show "4.02.10.C1224.01" on that page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
B. J. Catlin
bjcatlin

Re: Problems with new GEM Ethernet/Wifi

Post by bjcatlin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 pm

A little more info on my system:
This appears to be the model with the 5V/1.0F supercapacitor on the bottom of the lower PC Board.

Attempting to use any of the Functions using the PB Switch doesn't work (I thought I'd try the F3 to have it re-learn my hardware). When I click on the PB Switch 4 times, the system LED just stays the same (Sometimes it's solid red, but usually it's solid Green). I've tried using the RESET button in the middle of the upper PC Board. When I reset it, the System LED usually turns RED the first time, the second time it'll turn solid Green, 3rd time solid Red, fourth time solid Green...etc, etc.

This is looking like my Ethernet communications are working just fine. But for some reason, it doesn't appear to be talking to the main processor or something. I've tried telnetting to port 8000, and I can successfully connect, but I don't get anything on that port, and I can type whatever I want without any response.

I'm going to keep playing with it tonight to see if I can get anything else...
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:48 am

What baud rate is the WiFi/Ethernet module set to (Application Settings)? Make sure it's set to 115200.

The WiFi/Ethernet module runs independently from the GEM itself, so it sounds like it's running fine but is having problems talking with the GEM.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
bjcatlin

Post by bjcatlin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12 pm

I have it set to 115200, but I've also tried 19200. Same result both ways. Tried updating the firmware (set to 19200), but it just came back with a timed-out message at 0.0% through the GEM Network Utility. Tried to flash the COM firmware through the port 80 web page, and it returned immediately with "Update fail!Error Code(-6)".

I also cut the end off of a serial cable last night and wired it up. Tried both COM ports at both 115200 and 19200, and didn't get anything at all on either one.

So to me it sounds like the Ethernet/Wifi module is working fine, but there just isn't any activity on the com ports. I'm thinking it might be RMA time...
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:39 pm

bjcatlin wrote:I have it set to 115200, but I've also tried 19200. Same result both ways. Tried updating the firmware (set to 19200), but it just came back with a timed-out message at 0.0% through the GEM Network Utility. Tried to flash the COM firmware through the port 80 web page, and it returned immediately with "Update fail!Error Code(-6)".

I also cut the end off of a serial cable last night and wired it up. Tried both COM ports at both 115200 and 19200, and didn't get anything at all on either one.

So to me it sounds like the Ethernet/Wifi module is working fine, but there just isn't any activity on the com ports. I'm thinking it might be RMA time...
Yeah, Port 80 is reserved strictly for the WiFi/Ethernet interface, you would have to use the port specified for the Server (Port 8000).

I would try to load the firmware in Recovery Mode. Unplug the GEM, hold the button at the bottom, and plug it back in. Drop the baud to 19200, checkmark Recovery Mode in the GEM Network Utility and load the firmware.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bjcatlin

Post by bjcatlin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Here is a detailed description of what I just tried:

Logged on to port 80, verified that speed was 19200 on the "Application Setting" tab.
Unplugged GEM, held PB Switch while plugging in, verified that System LED was solid RED.

Once the Communication LED lit up, I Launched GEM Network Utility version 6.0, verified IP and port 8000. Clicked on Open and the connection status changed to a green "Connected".

In the COM Firmware section of the Firmware tab, I selected my firmware file "GEM_C_Firmware_3.18_fmw", put a checkmark next to "Recovery Mode" and hit Start

In the window, I have the following:
Verifying communication port connection.
TCP Connection OK

The status bar sat at 0.0% for a while, then switched to "Timeout Error!" and opened a popup window with the message "Error 0". System LED stayed solid RED the entire time.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:46 am

There's a header above the Ethernet jack, can you try removing that header, remove power, wait a few seconds, and power back up (give it a minute for the unit to find the module)?

Make sure your baud is back at 115200, and try Port 8000 once more.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:00 pm

We reproduced it here. The above solution won't work.

What you need to do is the recovery mode firmware again, but load it at 115200. I was informed that the new revision will load at the last baud rate it was set to.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bjcatlin

Post by bjcatlin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:14 pm

WOOHOO!!!! That did it! Firmware loaded right up at 115200 baud! It appears that I can now communicate with it via the GEM Network Utility. I have also tried the web page at port 8000, and it all looks fantastic!

Thank you very much for your patience and for coming up with a solution that worked perfectly! Major Kudos from Colorado!

:D :D :D
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:28 pm

bjcatlin wrote:WOOHOO!!!! That did it! Firmware loaded right up at 115200 baud! It appears that I can now communicate with it via the GEM Network Utility. I have also tried the web page at port 8000, and it all looks fantastic!

Thank you very much for your patience and for coming up with a solution that worked perfectly! Major Kudos from Colorado!

:D :D :D
No problem, helped us find a bug in the firmware also. We'll be revising it so this doesn't happen again.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.