More than 2 CT on a channel

Ask questions about the GEM here.
nbsvirginia

More than 2 CT on a channel

Post by nbsvirginia » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 pm

With the ECM1240 I was able to connect up to 5 micro CT to a single channel (and the manual even shows that). What is the maximum for the GEM? The manual only shows up to two CT's. I have two rooms with more than two breakers (mainly Kitchen) and I was wondering if I can use 3 or 4 CT's on a single channel to cut down on administration.

If not, then I can always use multiple channels...
ben
Site Admin

Re: More than 2 CT on a channel

Post by ben » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:37 pm

nbsvirginia wrote:With the ECM1240 I was able to connect up to 5 micro CT to a single channel (and the manual even shows that). What is the maximum for the GEM? The manual only shows up to two CT's. I have two rooms with more than two breakers (mainly Kitchen) and I was wondering if I can use 3 or 4 CT's on a single channel to cut down on administration.

If not, then I can always use multiple channels...
We don't recommend more than 2 without splicing the CTs externally as you don't want to jam the channels. With that being said, around 5 is fine.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
sub3marathonman

Post by sub3marathonman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:22 pm

ben wrote:
We don't recommend more than 2 without splicing the CTs externally as you don't want to jam the channels. With that being said, around 5 is fine.
Is it required though that the amperage of the circuits doesn't add up to more than the CTs' rating? So three 20 amp circuits for three split CT60s, or four 15 amp circuits for four split CT60s, or five 15 amp circuits for five CT80s?

Or could you do five 80 amp circuits with five CT80s on the same channel?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am

sub3marathonman wrote:
ben wrote:
Is it required though that the amperage of the circuits doesn't add up to more than the CTs' rating? So three 20 amp circuits for three split CT60s, or four 15 amp circuits for four split CT60s, or five 15 amp circuits for five CT80s?

Or could you do five 80 amp circuits with five CT80s on the same channel?
The GEM doesn't have the same limitations as the ECM-1240 did. You can go into the thousands of amps on any channel. Just, repeated, make sure you splice them externally as you don't want to damage the spring-loaded terminals.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
sub3marathonman

Post by sub3marathonman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for the help!