Communication Status LED never turns on

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ps0ps

Communication Status LED never turns on

Post by ps0ps » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:28 am

I've had my GEM with the Wifi/Ethernet module running over wifi for 2+ months now and a couple of days ago it stopped responding on the network. The Communication Status LED never turns on even after a power cycle. The LED on the wifi ethernet module is green and the System LED acts as if the system boots up and eventually goes green, but then it will turn off after a while and turn back on going through a sequence of Amber for a bit, then red and finally back to green.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Communication Status LED never turns on

Post by ben » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:12 pm

ps0ps wrote:I've had my GEM with the Wifi/Ethernet module running over wifi for 2+ months now and a couple of days ago it stopped responding on the network. The Communication Status LED never turns on even after a power cycle. The LED on the wifi ethernet module is green and the System LED acts as if the system boots up and eventually goes green, but then it will turn off after a while and turn back on going through a sequence of Amber for a bit, then red and finally back to green.
Have you updated to the latest firmware? If not, do so.

When you go to the Firmware tab on the GEM Network Utility also make sure your hardware is set correctly.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ps0ps

Post by ps0ps » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I can't get to the GEM over wifi anymore. If I plug in the ethernet link never comes up either. The wifi does not broadcast and SSID either, so I'm lost as to how I can get into it now to upgrade the firmware.
ps0ps

Post by ps0ps » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:36 pm

So i managed to flash the COM via rs232, but the ENG firmware is now corrupt and nothing I do will get it to flash. When requesting the GEM info i get errors on getting the com port, eng firmware version and then it times out reading settings. I still can't seem to get at the wifi or ethernet. Trying to flash the ENG firmware just results in an error saying the GEM is not responding.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-06-14 21.31.12.png
Screenshot 2014-06-14 21.31.12.png (120.26 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:11 am

ps0ps wrote:So i managed to flash the COM via rs232, but the ENG firmware is now corrupt and nothing I do will get it to flash. When requesting the GEM info i get errors on getting the com port, eng firmware version and then it times out reading settings. I still can't seem to get at the wifi or ethernet. Trying to flash the ENG firmware just results in an error saying the GEM is not responding.
Are you using an RS232-to-USB cable? Some generic cables are bad when it comes to sending large packets and can result in bytes coming in incorrect.

Can you try putting the GEM into Recovery Mode to see if the WiFi/Ethernet module works? Do this by unplugging the GEM, holding down the button at the bottom, and plugging it in. The left LED should be red. This will stop the GEM from sending anything to the WiFi/Ethernet module.

I'm wondering if maybe your power supply is failing and can't output enough to power on the WiFi/Ethernet module. Do you have a spare 5VDC 500mA-2A center positive barrel plug (2.1mm)?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
ps0ps

Post by ps0ps » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:13 pm

I am using a RS232-USB cable. When doing the ENG firmware update, it doesn't even start the process.. It flashed the COM just fine. I did put the GEM in recovery mode, it was the only way to flash the COM, but it won't flash the ENG nor does the wifi/ethernet module come up. Is there a better RS232-USB cable I should get to test this issue?

I unfortunately do not have a spare power brick, but the wifi/ethernet module shows a green light, just nothing out of the wifi or link when I plug in the ethernet.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:52 am

ps0ps wrote:I am using a RS232-USB cable. When doing the ENG firmware update, it doesn't even start the process.. It flashed the COM just fine. I did put the GEM in recovery mode, it was the only way to flash the COM, but it won't flash the ENG nor does the wifi/ethernet module come up. Is there a better RS232-USB cable I should get to test this issue?

I unfortunately do not have a spare power brick, but the wifi/ethernet module shows a green light, just nothing out of the wifi or link when I plug in the ethernet.
The ENG won't flash in Recovery Mode, it will only flash after getting the ENG command. You'll likely need to do the following:

- Set the RS232-USB to 115200.
- Get GEM Info in the GEM Network Utility.
- Click the 19200 button.
- Set the RS232-USB to 19200.
- Try uploading the ENG firmware (use ENG 1.47, we removed 1.48).

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
ps0ps

Post by ps0ps » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:23 pm

I tried the steps you provided. It still doesn't work and fails to even transmit the ENG firmware. After power cycling the device, a few minutes will pass and the status led turns off completely. I have another USB-RS232 cable coming as well as a power supply, so we shall see if that does anything, but I tried over and over to flash the ENG firmware but it just says the GEM timed out.

FWIW, pressing the reset button on the wifi/ethernet module produces no change in any LEDs, including the one on the wifi module and get gem info doesn't show that it has the module installed.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am

ps0ps wrote:I tried the steps you provided. It still doesn't work and fails to even transmit the ENG firmware. After power cycling the device, a few minutes will pass and the status led turns off completely. I have another USB-RS232 cable coming as well as a power supply, so we shall see if that does anything, but I tried over and over to flash the ENG firmware but it just says the GEM timed out.

FWIW, pressing the reset button on the wifi/ethernet module produces no change in any LEDs, including the one on the wifi module and get gem info doesn't show that it has the module installed.
I'll see if Paul has the new version of the COM firmware ready. If you can't update the Engine, there's one thing you can do below for the time being:

- Put the GEM into Recovery Mode.
- Downgrade to COM 2.50.
- Update the ENG firmware first to 1.47.
- Update the COM to 3.10.

We had a customer with the exact same problem and it resulted from some code we had in ENG 1.46 and 1.48 (that was disabled in 1.47, but thought to be working now).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
ps0ps

Post by ps0ps » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:58 am

I still can't get the eng firmware to load.. same error after i flash the com to 2.50.. I've forced the rs232 to 19200 and nothing changes and again, the sys led turns off after a bit
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-06-18 09.46.57.png
Screenshot 2014-06-18 09.46.57.png (116.14 KiB) Viewed 1393 times