Can't connect to my GEM

Ask questions about the GEM here.
rnoble

Can't connect to my GEM

Post by rnoble » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 pm

So I decided to update my firmware(s)... The COM firmware updated fine. When I attempted to update the ENG firmware I was prompted to switch the baud rate to 19200. Now I can connect to my GEM, but when I try to "Get GEM info" I get the below message

Refresh error 20
Response data=
Data Length = 0

Any idea how I can fix it?

I'm connecting via a serial connection on my DashBox.
Last edited by rnoble on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rnoble

Re: Can't connect to my GEM

Post by rnoble » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:35 pm

And I have a red LED no matter what I do... Kinda freaking out here.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:08 am

rnoble wrote:And I have a red LED no matter what I do... Kinda freaking out here.
Is it a blinking red LED or a red LED?

I'm guessing solid red, solid red means it's waiting for firmware. A power cycle will take it out of this state.
rnoble wrote:So I decided to update my firmware(s)... The COM firmware updated fine. When I attempted to update the ENG firmware I was prompted to switch the baud rate to 19200. Now I can connect to my GEM, but when I try to "Get GEM info" I get the below message

Refresh error 20
Response data=
Data Length = 0

The GEM likely jumped back to 115200. If you're using the serial connection to connect through the DashBox, try setting that back to 115200 and rebooting.

EDIT: Based on the information above, you can't talk to it due to it waiting for the firmware file. Try just power cycling it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 pm

ben wrote:
rnoble wrote:And I have a red LED no matter what I do... Kinda freaking out here.
Is it a blinking red LED or a red LED?

I'm guessing solid red, solid red means it's waiting for firmware. A power cycle will take it out of this state.
rnoble wrote:So I decided to update my firmware(s)... The COM firmware updated fine. When I attempted to update the ENG firmware I was prompted to switch the baud rate to 19200. Now I can connect to my GEM, but when I try to "Get GEM info" I get the below message

Refresh error 20
Response data=
Data Length = 0

The GEM likely jumped back to 115200. If you're using the serial connection to connect through the DashBox, try setting that back to 115200 and rebooting.

EDIT: Based on the information above, you can't talk to it due to it waiting for the firmware file. Try just power cycling it.
It's solid red. I'll try another power-cycle. Do I need to remove the battery?

Thanks!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:16 pm

rnoble wrote: It's solid red. I'll try another power-cycle. Do I need to remove the battery?

Thanks!
Shouldn't need to unless the red LED won't go away. In that case, pop out the battery while power is connected (don't use anything metallic to pop it out), then cycle power to it. Leave the battery out until it's up and running.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:27 pm

ben wrote:
rnoble wrote: It's solid red. I'll try another power-cycle. Do I need to remove the battery?

Thanks!
Shouldn't need to unless the red LED won't go away. In that case, pop out the battery while power is connected (don't use anything metallic to pop it out), then cycle power to it. Leave the battery out until it's up and running.

Ben
Went to power cycle it and now it's flashing red... Still can't connect. Thoughts?
Teken

Post by Teken » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:44 am

Ryan,

Is there still a problem with your GEM? As your Dash Box seems to be working well and energy data is flowing and available for viewing.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:12 am

rnoble wrote:
ben wrote:

Thanks!

Ben
Went to power cycle it and now it's flashing red... Still can't connect. Thoughts?
Flashing red usually means that the PT is not connected. Make sure it's pushed all the way in.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Teken wrote:Ryan,

Is there still a problem with your GEM? As your Dash Box seems to be working well and energy data is flowing and available for viewing.
I got it figure out last night... The GEM and DashBox were set to difference baud rates... Once I rebooted the GEM in recovery mode and set the DashBox to 19200, I was able to push the new firmwares and be on my way.

For future reference, what is the correct process for pushing new firmware to the GEM connected via serial to a DashBox?
Teken

Post by Teken » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:02 pm

rnoble wrote:
Teken wrote:Ryan,

I got it figure out last night... The GEM and DashBox were set to difference baud rates... Once I rebooted the GEM in recovery mode and set the DashBox to 19200, I was able to push the new firmwares and be on my way.

For future reference, what is the correct process for pushing new firmware to the GEM connected via serial to a DashBox?
The first thing I do is set the GEM Network Utility Tool to firmware Mode under the Comm Settings -> Ethernet Only tab.

I then select the Firmware tab -> Open a connection ensuring there is a solid green status -> Select Get GEM info -> Upload the COM firmware using 115200 baud.

Once the system reboots, I set the baud rate to 19200 for the Engine firmware upload. After that is done I always do a full reboot of the GEM.

Once done, I set the baud rate back to 115200 while still in the Firmware tab. Go back to the Ethernet Only tab and change the Comm Setting back to Normal and select Save Settings.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10