Voltage dropping out

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Voltage dropping out

Post by ben » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am

If you can spin the tip of the stereo jack while holding the body of the stereo jack, then you have an issue there.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
kkemp

Post by kkemp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:25 am

ben wrote:If you can spin the tip of the stereo jack while holding the body of the stereo jack, then you have an issue there.

Ben
Ah to go back to what you said about soldering. It's not the plug that is loose. I used a manufactured stereo plug with a molded end/etc. It at all seems fine. Then that is connected to the adapter via wire nuts.

The wiggling is happening when the plug is plugged into the jack. It doesn't seem particularly worse than any other stereo jack.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 am

kkemp wrote:
ben wrote:If you can spin the tip of the stereo jack while holding the body of the stereo jack, then you have an issue there.

Ben
Ah to go back to what you said about soldering. It's not the plug that is loose. I used a manufactured stereo plug with a molded end/etc. It at all seems fine. Then that is connected to the adapter via wire nuts.

The wiggling is happening when the plug is plugged into the jack. It doesn't seem particularly worse than any other stereo jack.
Can you check to see if the stereo plug connector on the GEM board has come loose off the board, we haven't had any problems with that yet but it's a possibility.

You can use a little bit of rubbing alcohol to clean out the jack connector to make sure nothing is disturbing the connection.

Alternatively, you can try connecting a Mini-USB cable to the PT and using that connection to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.
Attachments
Mini USB PT connection.pdf
(22.66 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
kkemp

Post by kkemp » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:08 pm

ben wrote:
kkemp wrote:

Ben

Can you check to see if the stereo plug connector on the GEM board has come loose off the board, we haven't had any problems with that yet but it's a possibility.

You can use a little bit of rubbing alcohol to clean out the jack connector to make sure nothing is disturbing the connection.

Alternatively, you can try connecting a Mini-USB cable to the PT and using that connection to see if it exhibits the same behaviour.
The plug connector seems to be attached as one would expect.

I just cleaned the jack/plug with rubbing alcohol.

If I still see the voltage dropping do you have a premade mini-usb cable that I can just wire nut to the adapter leads?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:57 pm

kkemp wrote: The plug connector seems to be attached as one would expect.

If I still see the voltage dropping do you have a premade mini-usb cable that I can just wire nut to the adapter leads?
We don't unfortunately.

In the future, since we have STS cables with the DashBox, we were thinking about putting together a kit with those and wire connectors so there's no soldering involved.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
kkemp

Post by kkemp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 pm

ben wrote:
kkemp wrote: The plug connector seems to be attached as one would expect.

We don't unfortunately.

In the future, since we have STS cables with the DashBox, we were thinking about putting together a kit with those and wire connectors so there's no soldering involved.

Ben
Please do and let me know when you do!

In the mean time it seems my voltages have stabilized and aren't dropping out. I'll try not to touch it :)
kkemp

Post by kkemp » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Well that didn't last too long. The problem is back. I haven't touched it. So is the only thing to try your suggestion to solder up a USB connector?

kkemp

Post by kkemp » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:34 pm

kkemp wrote:Well that didn't last too long. The problem is back. I haven't touched it. So is the only thing to try your suggestion to solder up a USB connector?

Seems to come and go on its own but unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:14 am

kkemp wrote:Well that didn't last too long. The problem is back. I haven't touched it. So is the only thing to try your suggestion to solder up a USB connector?
Or try a new stereo jack.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.