Suggestion: Modular Enclosure for GEM & DB & Expansion Board

Ask questions about the GEM here.
OzTechGeek

Suggestion: Modular Enclosure for GEM & DB & Expansion Board

Post by OzTechGeek » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:01 pm

After looking at the internals of my new GEM & DB, I would like to make a suggestion on a possible alternative enclosure to house the GEM & DB together.

I'm not sure if this is technically possible due to the design of the GEM and DB PCB, but I'll throw this out there:

1. It would be nice to see an option for an enclosure that can be purchased at time or ordering or bought separately that would allow you to mount the GEM and DB and the possible future expansion module in the same enclosure.

2. As it stands now I need 3 power connections to power the GEM & DB, if an enclosure could be designed to house the PCB's of the GEM and DB, and use the "5VDC/3.3VDC Supply Access" terminal in the GEM to power the DB, and use the yet to be released "Alternate Potential Transformer" to power both GEM and DB, this would mean you would only need 1 power outlet.

3. I like the combination Wifi/Ethernet module in the GEM and the interface. Is there a reason the same WiFi/Ethernet module used in the GEM could not have been used in the DB? This would have been a nice added feature and would not require the purchase of an additional WiFi Adapter and would probably cut down on troubleshooting and support issues. This would allow for # 4

4. If # 3 was true and the GEM and DB used the same type of WiFi/Ethernet module, then a suggestion on the case design would be to allow the mounting of the WiFi antennas on the top left and right of the enclosure, right now the WiFi module on the GEM mounts on the right.

5. The yet to be released "Expansion Module" could also be added to the enclosure since the PCB for the expansion module should not be as wide at the current GEM PCB.

6. If the GEM, DB & Expansion module PCB could be mounted in the same enclosure, I would also like to make a suggestion of adding 4 wire cutouts to the bottom of the enclosure, right now the GEM enclosure has 4 on the back for rear access but only 2 on the bottom, I have not tested how many CT's wires can fit into each cutout, but I would think 4 cutouts on the bottom would allow for multiple CT cables to be connected to every channel in a 48 channel config (GEM + Expansion Board"

Thoughts?

P.S. If any/all of the above becomes reality. I would be more than happy to "Test" such a unit out and provide a full review and feedback :ugeek:
GEM + WiFi & Ethernet Module / DashBox + TL-WN722N
4 x Split-200 CT's / 60 x Micro-50 CT's / 8 x Micro-80 CT's
Current 2014-03-31: GEM COM v2.58 / GEM ENG v1.47 / DB Dashboard v4.1.5F1
Previous: GEM COM v2.57 / GEM ENG v1.47 / DB Dashboard v4.1.5B