GEM connection via DB

Ask questions about the GEM here.
rnoble

Re: GEM connection via DB

Post by rnoble » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:01 am

Teken wrote:Wow, look at those messy wires! :roll: :lol:
You provide enough help that we can easily over-look some wires that are not run like an electrical schematic.

The support offered by the Brultech community makes them an obvious choice for energy monitoring needs.
tnakelski

Post by tnakelski » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 am

Teken wrote:Wow, look at those messy wires! :roll: :lol:

That's why they make covers..
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:40 am

Keep in mind that an incorrectly installed Micro-CT can cause bleed to all channels. The issue is that the Micro-CTs don't have built-in burden resistors due to their size; therefore, there's a burden resistor installed into Ports 2,3.

I would do the following:
- Check all CT connections.
- Unplug the CT and see if the channel still shows a reading
- If so, open the GEM Network Utility and go to the Advanced section. The GEM offset can be adjusted in order to eliminate those values.

- If it only shows with the Micro-CT connected, put a jumper as shown in the previous post.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:44 am

ben wrote:Keep in mind that an incorrectly installed Micro-CT can cause bleed to all channels. The issue is that the Micro-CTs don't have built-in burden resistors due to their size; therefore, there's a burden resistor installed into Ports 2,3.

- If so, open the GEM Network Utility and go to the Advanced section. The GEM offset can be adjusted in order to eliminate those values.

- If it only shows with the Micro-CT connected, put a jumper as shown in the previous post.

Ben
When you say to check the connections, you mean verify all of my M-40s are inserted in ports 2&3? Not sure what else I'd be checking.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:15 am

rnoble wrote:
ben wrote:Keep in mind that an incorrectly installed Micro-CT can cause bleed to all channels. The issue is that the Micro-CTs don't have built-in burden resistors due to their size; therefore, there's a burden resistor installed into Ports 2,3.

Ben
When you say to check the connections, you mean verify all of my M-40s are inserted in ports 2&3? Not sure what else I'd be checking.
Yeah, make sure all CTs are connected to the right terminals.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 am

ben wrote:
rnoble wrote:

Ben
Yeah, make sure all CTs are connected to the right terminals.

Ben
I haven't checked the CT's yet, but noticed that none of my CT's are visible in the "Click to manage" area... Is this a bug in the most recent firmware?
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 am

Hello Ryan,

Yes it is and Ben is working on releasing another Beta release that corrects all of the known bugs listed in my other posting.

How does the power readings look after doing some of the trouble shooting?
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:19 am

Teken wrote:Hello Ryan,

Yes it is and Ben is working on releasing another Beta release that corrects all of the known bugs listed in my other posting.

How does the power readings look after doing some of the trouble shooting?
There will be an update released today on our website.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Ben
The channel dropped to zero with the CT disconnected. I ended up adding jumpers to the two circuits with questionable readings (EVSE & Air Compressor both of which were extended) and things are now reading what I would expect. Thanks for the help!
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 am

I'm working on setting up my tiered rates and would like some clarity... My first 600kWh are always ~$.13/kWh, 600kWh+ are ~$.17/kWh from June-September only.

Would this look something like this?

If it's documented somewhere, please point me in the right direction.