Monitoring PV when the inverter is far from the circuit box

Working on a home project? Post it here.
dallingham

Monitoring PV when the inverter is far from the circuit box

Post by dallingham » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:05 pm

I just recently got my GEM system installed, and I'm trying to figure out how to tie my solar array into everything. The problem I have is that the inverter is on the outside of the garage where it connects to incoming power and the main circuit box is about 30 feet away on the inside wall on the opposite side of the finished garage.

The electrician installed the GEM next to the circuit box, but the solar has not been connected up. I've read that the distance would be a problem, causing the data to be inaccurate.

Is there a way that I can monitor the solar and pull that data in? I'm using Home Assistant for the power tracking.
bgrubb1

Re: Monitoring PV when the inverter is far from the circuit box

Post by bgrubb1 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:19 pm

I thought NEC in US required that PV circuit ties into the breaker panel on the bottom 2 breakers
Are you sure yours doesn't ?
dallingham

Post by dallingham » Sun May 01, 2022 9:26 pm

The bottom two breakers on my box are for my EV changer and the sub panel in the basement.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon May 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Should be fine extending the CT leads that distance via CAT cable. Just don't run parallel with power lines or anything else that would introduce noise.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
dallingham

Post by dallingham » Tue May 03, 2022 4:56 pm

Thanks. I'm not sure how the inverter is wired up. Do I need separate CTs for generated power and for net metering power returned? What is the right CT to use for solar (8.6KW system)?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed May 04, 2022 9:21 am

dallingham wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:56 pm
Thanks. I'm not sure how the inverter is wired up. Do I need separate CTs for generated power and for net metering power returned? What is the right CT to use for solar (8.6KW system)?
Should just need CTs on where-ever it's taps into your main power. Just one set, the GEM does net metering.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com