My GEM, ISY, Dash Box, Insteon Home Automation Install

Working on a home project? Post it here.
Teken

Re: My GEM, ISY, Dash Box, Insteon Home Automation Install

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:19 pm

So many people have asked me to clarify a few things for them in terms of what are some of the acronyms I keep using in this thread etc. What is it that I am referring to all time that controls so many elements of my HA (Home Automation) system.

People often see me refer to the ISY, this HA controller is made and developed by the great people of UDI (Universal Devices Incorporated) and can be found here: http://www.universal-devices.com/

The heart of the system in my home is this device: Two ISY-99i IR Pro, ISY-994iZ IR Pro these three controllers manage and control all elements of the homes Heating, AC, Lights, Access Control, Windows, Irrigation, and Force Protection elements.

The end goal is to have the ISY controller, GEM (Green Eye Monitor) , Dash Box, Security all linked and communicating with one another. Unlike others I have purposely decided to leave the primary security system independent, yet self aware of the other elements of the HA system.

The final goal is to have a bi-directional communication in terms of status. Not so much as to be reactive and be able to control one or the other. Again, the reason I leave the security system separate is that I personally don't believe HA is at the point where it can be 100% relied upon to ensure force protection and security.

There are many people who have done so with great success. But, my views and 25 years of experience in the security field keep me grounded and stop me from integrating my HA into the security system.

Below is what the ISY-994iZ IR Pro looks like out of the box. Now you all know what a ISY is and what it looks like.

Whats in the box? Inside you get the controller, antenna, quick start guide, 5 volt DC power supply.

This model is the ISY-994iZ IR Pro. This controller is equipped with a high power ZigBee radio antenna. This unit is configured and firmware upgraded to perform energy management, hence why its being used to communicate to the GEM.

Zigbee radio antenna and the ISY-994iZ IR Pro.

The front of the unit which has all of the status indicators, Micro SD card, IR receiver.

The rear of the controller which has the Ethernet, monitor, power, and RS-232 port (Port A).

To clarify one point for anyone not familiar with HA. This controller can control and communicate with the Insteon home automation system. The *Port A* is wired to a PLM, the PLM is a small box that contains all of the data, links, etc of the Insteon devices in the network.

PLM: 2413S - http://www.smarthome.com/2413S/PowerLin ... and/p.aspx

The ISY is the brains which allows control and management of the basic Insteon system. The ISY controller can be used to initiate timers, events, schedules, or react to or programmed to use variables, if, then, else, clauses.

It can be programmed to use dusk to dawn, status, control, events in programs which allow the user unlimited possibilities in how the home will react to the users commands or occupancy.

For my purpose the GEM will be tied to the ISY controller. It will be able to see the devices power use and based on programs I have initiated it will perform various tasks to ensure the home is as efficient, safe, and secure at all times.

Right now its simply a matter of getting all parties involved in the final development and completion of this end goal.
The ISY-994 iZ IR Pro using Beta 4.1.0 and GEM COM 2.40 Engine 1.46 supports all 32 energy channels to be displayed with in the ISY. Meaning the end user can incorporate Energy readings from the GEM into programs and than control the associated load.

Both companies are currently working on including the current / amps, temperature, pulse channels into the data packet and next firmware release(s). 12/3/2013
NOTE:The ISY is capable of supporting 2 GEM's & 4 ECM-1240 via Zigbee. If using a Ethernet only connection only 1 GEM can be connected and no nodes will be represented in the device tree.

Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:20 pm

This is the Dash Box made by Brultech. You may see more of their offerings here: http://brultech.com/

This little mini Linux box will be the back up system to the SEG energy website which currently hosts all of the energy stats for my home. The reason I will be using both services is to ensure fail over.

There have been times where the SEG site has been down for service maintenance and upgrades. When this happens it leaves the user with a gap in data. The time it takes to inject all the missing values can be at times quite tedious.

Therefor I have decided to purchase this Dash Box in hopes of having at least one system always available and on line to compensate for the other.

To see a preliminary website for the dash box please go here: http://www.mypowerpanel.com/web-server/

This device will be wired to the GEM using RS232 communications. Once tied in the Dash Box will forward the same data captured by the GEM to the third party energy hosting site of SEG.

I hope the following threads, links, and over view gives enough information to all to either pursue, or consider taking the jump into energy management and into the great and fantastic world of home automation (HA).

This time 30 years ago mere mortal could not even imagine the amount of control, power, and capability one could have at their finger tips. Those who could afford such power had more money than God.

Those of us who live on a Kraft Dinner (KD) budget could only dream of such things. Now, its 2013 and its safe to say many Average Joe's can take part and enjoy these simple pleasures and enjoy their homes even more.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 pm

So others have asked me to provide some more detailed charts of the install. Here are some gadgets that track and record energy consumption for my home. Below I will also provide a few screen captures of all the gadgets that the SEG can provide the end user.

I do not use them all, as some of them do not apply to my install / environment.

The following are the GEM single channels which monitor each circuit in the home. This is just a snap shot at 8:00 AM.

Each *Gadget* can provide the instantaneous consumed power, along with the accumulated KWH for that day. These gadgets must be refreshed in the web browser and do not auto update like the other ones do.

Clicking on the blue arrow will expand the channel in question and will allow the end user to see more details about the load.

Captions will follow to show you what to look for.

Below are the gadgets that the SEG can render and provide to the end user should it be required.

In terms of practical use the GEM / SEG can inform the user of the minimum, maximum, average, and load factor of any device.

I have used these elements to determine if the device is a power hog, is it with in standard operating power use compared to the makers label?

Is the device set correctly for duty cycle, on / off events, is the TSTAT set too high, too low?

Is that light bulb, TV, Water Pump been left on all day? Is the motor for the pool been cycling on / off and will burn out?

This is why I track my items and hope to be aware of things around me.

Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 pm

So after several weeks of trouble shooting and trying to figure out why my new ISY-994iZ IR Pro, would not connect to the GEM. Several things came to light and have since been resolved.

The most current GEM COM Firmware is 1.96, Engine 1.41. Please ensure you update your GEM to the latest COM 1.96 as it resolves a few small bugs not known. Release notes are available from Brultech so you can determine if this impacts you.

After flashing the GEM to various COM firmware levels with out any success to connect to the GEM. Issuing endless strings of commands via the Green Eye Setup Tool v2.1 nothing I did would allow me to connect to the ISY.

Below is the root cause of all the headaches and sleepless nights I endured. In this image there is a field called PAN ID. This PAN ID is the GEM's internal address to connect to.

The previous ISY manual I received, had a screen capture showing a leading zero (0345). Changing the PAN ID to 345, allowed the ISY to see and poll the data from the GEM.
EDIT 3/24/2013: The PAN ID can be changed in the GEM to what ever you want it to be via a command line entry. I wanted to clarify this point in case this *DEFAULT* number is not present at the time of receipt of your GEM.

This also allows the new user to change it to something more meaningful should it be required. The command line to change this PAN ID can be found in the Brultech command manual.
UPDATE 3/23/2013: Below is how you can change the PAN ID. You will need to change the network settings using either the EtherX v2.2 or GEM Network Utility Tool v1.8 first to connect to the GEM. Next you will launch the Green Eye Setup Tool v2.8.

In the screen capture provided below you will follow the 1-2-3-4 as indicated by the red box's.

1. Select Bridge Mode

2. Enter +++, and click on the Send Cmd <-- This will tell the GEM a command is coming

3. Enter ATID0345, or what ever number, click on the Send Cmd <-- The requested command.

4. Enter ATWR, and click on the Send Cmd <-- This will write and save the command.

5. Select the Exit Bridge Mode, and close the Green Eye Setup Tool.

6. Revert all the network settings so the GEM can start to send the data back to the on premise server, hosting site, etc.

Configurations on the ISY-994iZ IR Pro:

1. Ensure your ISY is using the latest firmware (4.04 RC)
2. Go to the Configuration Tab -> ZigBee Settings
3. Select the Enabled check box
4. Leave the Link Key / Network Key blank
5. Select Compatibility Mode
6. Click Save

At this point you will see in the *Status* the message from Down, Establishing, Established. As you see in the image capture above.

Below this shows the ZigBee in the ISY is *Down* and not connected

This shows the ISY is attempting to connect to the GEM.

This shows the ISY is connected to the GEM. This does NOT mean its communicating to the ISY! As it has been stated before up top just because you see this does not mean you will see any nodes in the device tree.

Pressing the Diagnostics with in the ISY ZigBee area should present you with this information. If you see information similar to this in the window you're 99% there.

If you don't see any new nodes in the Main Tab -> Network -> My Lighting. The most likely reason is the PAN ID is incorrect. As stated up top the ISY manual states its 0345, when in fact its 345. This PAN ID can be changed to anything you want by issuing the correct command line entry.

Below is the F&*^% PAN ID that caused all the delays and headaches for all. As you can see the PAN ID entered here has a leading zero (0). The GEM was programmed with out the (0) and thus would not allow the final hand shake to allow the ISY / GEM to communicate fully.

I hope this key part helps someone down the line . . .

Configurations on the GEM Module

1. Connect to the GEM first by changing the network settings. This can be done by using the EtherX v2.2 Tool or GEM Network Utility Tool v3.6

How to change the network settings has been listed way up in this thread.

2. Enter the GEM's internal web page and change the following attributes in the GEM module.

3. Go to the *Packet Send* Tab listed below and change the Secondary Packet Format to 1: Multi ECM-1240 Simulation as circled in red below. Ensure the send interval is set to 30 seconds like it is for the primary.

Click Save . . .
NOTE: Firmware COM 1.94 introduced the ability to have more than one packet formats. So you need to upgrade your GEM's firmware to have this *Secondary Packet Format* window available. The latest COM Firmware is 1.96 since 3/22/2013

4. Scroll down the page and change the number of ECM-1250 devices to simulate from 3, to 1 as it is circled in red below. This will allow the ISY to see the first (7) of the 32 channels of the GEM.

Click Save . . .
NOTE: This is a stop gap solution until both companies have been able to complete their development for their product. Support for all 32 channels, temperature, and pulse channels are still under development.

5. Select the Advanced Tab. Scroll all the way down the page and select the Go button to *Set Zigbee for ISY* this will instruct the GEM to write the required AT commands to connect to the ISY controller.

6. Once you press the Go *Set ZigBee for ISY* the GEM will change to another screen which is listed below. The page will request that you wait 30 seconds before hitting the click here button.

At this point in time clicking the HERE button does not return the user back to the main GEM web page. I have advised Ben at Brultech of this condition as it will result in a page not found.

Once you waited the 30 seconds. Simply close the browser and log back into the GEM's internal web page.

The following things should be confirmed to be ON, and active to ensure the GEM is indeed configured correctly. If not you will surely be pulling out ever strand of hair on your head.

Below are some of the correct and not so correct settings you should see. This screen capture indicates that both COM 1 & 2 are active, which they should be.

As the COM 1 is used to send the SEG data, COM 2 is used to send ISY data. Right now the COM 2 is sending a Binary Code and not the ISY code hence why it can only see 7 of the 32 channels etc.

Firmwware COM 1.96 has been deployed as it corrected a previous bug which would disable one or both COM ports when the GEM was powered cycled. Please ensure you have COM 1.96 installed to ensure communications are enabled and rock solid.

Under the *Status* Tab you will want to confirm again that both COM ports are enabled and active. You will really want to confirm that your GEM's hardware configuration is also correct.

In my case, during the endless trouble shooting it was determined my hardware configurations were not correct. My GEM was configured to ZigBee, and not with ZigBee & Ethernet.

This will impact your system from operating as expected.

If you find that your GEM is not configured with the correct hardware. Please contact Ben at Brultech. He will provide you a password to access the Factory Settings Page.

This will allow you to configure your GEM correctly, this same information should be confirmed in the Status Tab as you saw above.
NOTE: It goes with out saying, if you need to change the hardware configuration it needs to be actually present. My GEM is configured for both Ethernet & ZigBee. You can have Wi-Fi & Ethernet, etc etc. With the new release of GEM Network Utility 5.4 the user can now set the hardware settings in the tool. 12/3/2013
If you only have the Ethernet option installed on the GEM. You can only see dynamic values from the GEM in the ISY, like the Weather Bug Module. You can not interact or apply dynamic programs to the ISY to control your Insteon Home Automation system etc.

You must have the ZigBee & Ethernet options installed in the GEM, to interact with the ISY-994iZ IR Pro.

Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Once all of these tasks have been completed you should see 7 brand new nodes in the ISY device tree. Again, these first 7 channels are only available out of the supported 32 GEM Channels.

This is what you will be able to see in each of the channels. Please keep in mind the data is streamed to the ISY every 30 seconds. Below is the Main Left of the service feed to my home.
NOTE: The 30 second send interval is something I have found to provide the balance of accuracy and latency. This SEND interval can be increased / decreased based on your needs, environment, level of accuracy.

Keep in mind when you decrease the send time interval (Using SEG) this can cause havoc and your SEG power readings will appear to be really out of whack.

If you send the GEM data to a on premise data server this send interval can be pretty much what ever you want it to be.

You will note on the right hand side in the Polarlized Power box. This is the solar power being back fed into the grid of the home.

The Main Right service feed standby power consumption at idle.
NOTE: The *Current / Amps* is not working correctly as it never changes based on load applied. I have advised both companies about this bug. 3/23/2013

Panel Plug: This supplies power to various pieces of network, security, home automation, and force protection equipment in the home. This also supplies the power to the GEM and other related energy monitoring equipment.

Kitchen Table Plug: This powers most of the laptops at home. Right now 15 watts is from a netbook. All of the hype about netbooks consuming way less power than traditional laptops are true!

There is no arguing the facts as you clearly see below.

Solar GFCI: This is the dedicated (isolated) circuit that back feeds the solar power from my system. As stated in previous threads having the GEM to track and record the solar production has simply been outstanding.

Once I am able to fully deploy off grid / grid tie solar arrays. I will be able to monitor the health of both systems with out guessing at all.

Garage: This circuit monitors various things such as the GDO, GDO back up battery, Motion Lights, Convenience outlets, and battery charging stations for my Dewalt tools. I am able to see if anything is on, off, and confirm scheduled HA activity.

Case in point: Confirm that the block heater timer is active and working. Ensure my DeWalt battery chargers are charging, trickling, or simply off.

Activate and confirm the in ground sprinklers are active and not over watering the lawn, shrubs, garden.

Front GFCI: This circuit powers various HA devices, a back up house phone, XMAS Lights etc.

Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:29 pm

So what is it you can do with the ISY connected to the GEM? Below is one of many options the ISY can react to, based on the GEM's collected data. I will provide a shot of each and try to provide some real world examples of each.
NOTE: These options are only available to those using the ISY-994iZS Smart Grid. These use the smart meters attached to your homes electrical main line. This is part of the Open ADR program with the POCO. 5/09/2013

If you know something can sustain only so much current. This program can act like a safety device and kill the power to that current draw item.

Below is the option to have the ISY program monitor the voltage. All of these options allow the end user to apply what ever meets their needs. In some cases the client may not know the wattage, current, but knows the voltage they expect the device to operate within.

In my case, this added feature will allow me to monitor the grid voltage. Should the grid voltage drop off based on my set limit the program will initiate a immediate shut down of the solar array.

This will ensure no linemen will be hurt or injured due to solar power being present and back feeding into the grid. As indicated earlier my system has a electronic *Island Protection* circuit which monitors the grid voltage. This safety system is in place and will shut down the inverter should grid power be lost.

Using my HA (Home Automation) I can have three layers of redundancy to ensure all safety measures are in place and active.

Below is the ability to initiate a program based on the polarization (solar generation) this program will track the amount of generated power from my off grid system and will divert that power to four portable battery back up systems. Upon meeting XXX threshold this diverted power will be redirected back to the grid to reduce my over all consumption.

My end goal is to be net neutral, or at the very least pay a $1.00 electric bill every month!

Below is the ability to have a program start and control various elements of the home based on the consumed / utilized power. I can think of many things I could come up with that could benefit from this utilization option.

Below is the option to have a program start based on Accumulated Power.

Programs can be started based on the following criteria: Is, Is Not, <, >, <=, >=, If, Then, Else statements, Variables, Climate, Status, Control, X10, IR, Modules.

One very interesting element is the ability to initiate a program on Flex Alert, Open ADR. I unfortunately live in a town that is in the stone ages. Those who live in the 21st century and your POCO has programs which allow you to participate in these offerings can literally do the following.

I apologize if how the information is relayed is not 100% spot on. But, most of you will get the general idea. For the Flex Alert it is like some of those programs called *Beat The Heat* where you're aware of the electrical use and try to meet, attain, or beat the stated goals.

Its a fun way to get the whole family into being green and brings awareness of how you interaction with the home impacts the electrical grid. Many folks live in countries where rolling black outs are the norm as the grid can not provide and sustain the power during high seasons such as winter / summer.

In the Open ADR, the system can shut down devices in your home based on electrical demands to ensure consumption is reduced and the grid is safe.

More to come . . .
Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Often times I am asked has all this been worth while and do you see a measurable difference? Below are some of the utility bills that show the investment and time in this project.

Below is the January 2013 electrical and NG heating bill. Keeping in mind I live in an extremely cold part of Canada. Where it can get as cold as -50'C before the wind chill. January cost me a meager $46.79

Still looking for this bill. :cry:
==============

The typical February 2013 freezing cold in the North. This cost me $61.11 with all the entertaining, cooking, baking, and endless LAN parties . . .

Another cold month in March 2013. As you can see the electrical bill is $46.79 this is with every gizmo that operates and runs my home.

This is my 3 month water bill. This shows how it can be done using Energy Star appliances such as dual flush toilets, slow flow water heads, front loading clothes washer, and steam cleaning dish washers.

All told it costs me $66.32 for water and waste.

So its safe to say all of this energy management, and proper use of resources, and just in time use, has paid off for me.
Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:52 pm

A few weeks ago I was able to purchase a pre release of the Dash Box (DB). The DB is a mini Linux server which attaches to the Brultech ECM-1240, Green Eye Monitor (GEM).

The role of the DB is to capture and store the Power, KWH, Temperature, Pulse, Voltage, and Current statistics. This will allow the user to have a on site data server to recall historic energy events through out the home.

Full details and specifications can be found here at the new Brultech site: http://www.mypowerpanel.com/web-server/
To place an order for the Dash Box (DB) please a e-mail to sales@brultech.com. Advise Tammy that you wish to purchase a unit. Please advise her if you also require the STS cable for a direct connection, or the type of connection you wish to have. 12/2/2013

I purchased the DB because I wanted an extra level of back up & redundancy. There are times when the SEG (Smart Energy Groups) goes down for maintenance etc. This in effect causes data loss.

Not good if you want to track your power consumption and stats. With the DB I will have the best of both worlds where I can see the same data on line via the SEG, DB, and locally at home.

With this in place, I am assured of data being in one place or another.

During the ordering process I took the time to order two Split 30 CT's as they have a 1% accuracy. I have two projects where I need to know the exact level of power consumption. So, having these two little guys on hand will fit that bill nicely.

I have installed one of these Split 30 CT's on the Secure Room circuit. This will monitor all of the critical system that automate, control, manage the security, HVAC, Networking elements in my home.

Since this Split 30 CT is different from the rest. You must ensure you enter the GEM's internal website and enable the use of this CT. As there are no working options in any of the current tools.

EDIT: Below is the area in the GEM you will select the Split 30 CT. Once you login to the GEM's internal website you will go to the *Channel Option*.

Scroll down and select the Single Phase (Special CT) than click save. This will allow you to see and select the Split 30 CT in the drop down menu from the *Channel CT* menu tab.

Once inside of the *Channel CT* tab. You will select the channel in (Channel 1-2-3 etc) question and then assign the Split 30 CT attributes to the channels using this CT. Click on save and you're good to go. Failure to perform this end task will cause the readings that are captured to be displayed incorrectly.
NOTE: Connect the Split 30 CT to ports 2-3 of the GEM module.

You get one small 5 volt power adaptor.

This is a special RS-232 (STS Cable) cable that connects the DB to the GEM. There are two makes of this cable and the included data sheet explains the difference and how to wire it into the GEM.

This cable must be requested at the time of ordering. As you can connect to the DB via, Zigbee, Wireless, Ethernet, RS-232.
NOTE: The STS Cable is now included when you purchase the Dash Box July 06, 2014
I again opted to connect to the GEM via a hard line. As I have a lot of equipment that cause RFI / EMI in the building. This will ensure no data loss due to poor connectivity.

The included document explain how to wire the RS-232 cable given the color wires you receive. Brultech will high light the cable you have on the included data sheet which you will see below.

Highlighted document which states the color of the wire to what pin out on the GEM device.

This is the Dash Box (DB) in its virgin glory! As some of may have noticed it looks nothing like the advertisement. I was expecting a white / gray piece of plastic box like the GEM.

When in fact its a solid, heavy, and nicely crated piece of aluminum.

Out of the bubble rap and into the Teken air.

The front view of the DB unit. Upon boot up the DB will display Red, Orange, Green LED's, to indicate the boot process, or what state it is in for programming.

COM 1 & COM 2 have small differences when in use. I will try to address each one as more insight and testing unfolds. As there have been on going efforts to make my complicated install all work in unison.

For those who may not recall what I am trying to do. Here is a quick summary of my end goals.

1. Be able to log, control, and react to my environment.

2. Using a combination of the UDI ISY-994iZ IR Pro, GEM, SEG, and DB.

3. The end goal is to make all four devices / services talk and play nicely with one another.

NOTE: If you intend to use all four devices / services together. I have found that configuring the GEM, DB described below to work. Should there be any changes to the physical connection I shall update accordingly.

The STS cable will connect to the GEM's COM 1. The other end of the phono jack will connect to the DB's COM 2. This has allowed me to stay connected to both GEM / DB, while Brultech works on firmware to resolve the connectivity issues of sending data to the SEG site. Please note in the posted picture the wiring is incorrect!

This is the back of the DB unit. The USB port is intended for a wireless antenna. This will allow the DB to operate as an access point. The little black hole is for the ZigBee radio antenna which I intend to purchase in the future.

On the back of the unit is a very small hole. This hole has the reset switch which will allow the user to reset the Admin password, network settings, and default the DB should it be required. The users manual explains how to read the LED's etc to perform each of the tasks.

Below is the *Initial* wiring of the RS-232 cable to the GEM. I say initial because in my special configuration I had to move the wire from COM 2, to COM 1. The reason was to resolve a conflict with the DB and the ISY which I will explain later on.

For your point of reference this picture is upside down. So please read the pin outs on the GEM to ensure the wires are correctly terminated on your device.

Once you have configured the DB on the network and able to gain access to the DB device. You will be presented with this default view. At the top you will see the *Usage Now* this is a live power reading for the home which updates every 30 seconds.

The meter will show the minimum, max, and current power readings. This purple power bar also serves to inform you of the system is on line, having connectivity issues, etc.

To the right is the *Billing Rate* in my area its a flat rate so this is what I used. The user can select Flat, Tiered, Time of Use. More information pertaining to this area will be listed below.

Next is the *Kwh Used Today* It will show the ongoing consumed power along with the costs for that moment in time.

Last, is the *Active Serial* it will display the GEM serial number, local time etc. If at anytime these numbers are not present or accurate. You will know there is something wrong that needs to be corrected.

Below is what Brultech calls the Dash Board. You can create multiple dash boards to reflect your needs or system. Selecting the dash board will provide you graphs, charts, etc.

At the top of the home page are Dashboards, Loads, System. Selecting the Loads will provide you the channels which reflect the monitored loads for the home.

These are the current loads and the images to reflect them. I tried to use as many stock photo images that reflected my homes actual equipment. While others were used to portray an accurate idea and intent of my system.

The Loads view is a current static snapshot of the power reading of each circuit. It is intended as *At a glance* view. Below each channel is a LED which represents if the load is on / off.

Brultech had the for sight and idea to first inform the client a load is on. But, also gave the user to tailor this ON / OFF setting.

So, in essence you could set it to some preferred level to know if something was on or at a specified threshold. I am using it for a few things such as the Sump Pump.

At idle the Sump Pump consumes 1 watt. So leaving it at the default of 0 would not be very helpful. So once it turns on above say 3 watts the LED would turn green. In the future Brultech will incorporate sms / e-mail alerts for pre defined thresholds of when a circuit is active or not.

Having this ability will be fantastic as it allows you to monitor important critical loads. Say for example the fridge is not running at all, or running forever?

You could receive an alert, then resolve that issue. Its all about awareness and having the ability to reduce losses whether it be power use, or equipment failure.

Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Selecting the *Live Data* will bring you to a new page. This will render the actual loads for all circuits in the home at a 30 second interval. The bar graph to the right moves back and forth to reflect the current power state. The grid to the left of it also updates the current power consumption along with the power in use.

This is a most excellent view, to monitor your circuits when on going work is being done. As it is in my home knowing the attached load is performing as expected with out any guessing.

Next is the *Line Graph* view. This will allow you to see the loads in graphical representation. You can select any of the colored box's to add / omit from the current view. You can also assign different colors in the DB using a color pallet in case you have a preference for the circuit in question.

Changing the color pallet is done in the Settings -> Energy Monitors -> Click to Manage.

Selecting any of the Channels in the Loads section brings up more granular details about the consumption etc.

One neat feature is high lighted in the two red box's. Each circuit will show the current watts, minimum, max, and in use. The red box to the right has a little house. As the KWH goes up, the little house gets shaded in color representing the current state of consumption.

I thought that was a great detail to reflect the usage.

Login to the *Settings* tab will allow you to define and make all the changes to the DB to reflect your environment and needs.

Below are some of the views in each tab.

Energy Monitor: Selecting this tab will allow you to define the labels, images, on / off thresholds, color pallet, main power, net metering, hide an unused channel.

Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Billing rates:

Flat Rate:

Tiered Rate:

Time of Use:

Forward Data: This will allow you to input the Token Key / Site Key from the SEG's (Site). The ultimate goal is to be able to push the data from the DB to the SEG.

This process is currently being developed and worked on at the moment. Ben at Brultech has worked on this aspect for quite awhile for me. Right now, connectivity from the DB to the SEG is spotty.

But, I am quite confident that the Brultech team will have this issues resolved in short order.

Modules: These are the available graphs & charts to render your data in the DB.

Images: These are the stock images from Brultech. If they are not to your liking than you can do what I did and upload your own.

Networking: This is for the wireless portion of the DB.

Alerts: Currently this area is still work in progress. Once this option has been fully developed it will allow notification of circuits, temp, pulse channels. The idea is to be able to set thresholds for those you wish and be alerted via sms / e-mail.

System: This area will allow you to make system changes to the Admin, update the DB, clear database, view the raw data, change the communication baud rate, reboot the DB

Update Dash Box: Please note that you must ensure that you use the update file Brultech indicates to you *Prior* attempting to upgrade the DB.

Once that has been done you will see Update version: May 2, 2013 or what ever date the release is made for. You may have to clear the *Raw Data* unplug the STS (Serial RS-232) cable from the GEM. Then reboot the system prior to upgrading the DB device.

Please seek advise and guidance from Brultech as to steps to complete this end task.

Once you have updated the firmware on the DB. You should see a new version number listed below on the website. Mine shows a Version 4.02 which will change as development continues to add, resolve, and improve the Dash Box product offering.

Clear Data Base: This section will allow you to clear all accumulated data from the DB device. Great care must be used as there is no method from this interface to save the data.

I believe there is a export tool at the Brultech software section to accomplish this task.

Admin Information:

Raw Data: This will provide insight and feed back that the GEM is indeed streaming data to the DB device. I have observed that even though you see this information coming into the DB. It does not always translate to seeing data or having full communications with the GEM / DB pair.

As stated, on going development and progress is under way to glue all of these devices in my personal environment together. Those who have a simple DB / GEM / ECM-1240 are good to go!

My situation is different from most as I requested support to allow me to first: Send all GEM data to the free energy hosting site of SEG. I like the tools, charts, graphs, and alternate views Sam provides there.

I also have a ISY-994iZ IR Pro, this devices manages all of the lights, plugs, appliances, HVAC, Security, Force Protection, Network, Power Generation, etc. More details will follow about this aspect as a lot of progress has been made to allow all 32 channels to be seen and used in programs etc via the ISY interface.

Help: This section describes what each tab, module does and how to configure them. This area is still work in progress but Brultech has done a fantastic job in providing enough information to get the Dash Box (DB) up in running in no time.

Taking a few moments to read the HELP will provide wealth of information for those rare changes in the DB system.

Image//s941
Teken . . .