My GEM, ISY, Dash Box, Insteon Home Automation Install

Working on a home project? Post it here.
Teken

Re: My GEM, ISY, Dash Box, Insteon Home Automation Install

Post by Teken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:03 pm

FALL OUT SHELTER - WATER STORAGE:
One of the key things with any off grid or shelter in place environment is having enough water storage. I have been slowly acquiring items I feel will serve multi purpose situations.

My strategy was again based on the power of 3 but modified it in a way that made sense to me and my lifestyle. The key thing is to use ideas from others and tailor them to your specific needs and environment. My first goal was bulk storage of clean potable water for my family.

I had to define how long I realistically expected to not have water from the system. Next I had to determine if water had to be stored what to use. The next consideration was portability and transfer of said water supply. I don't think there is really a right or wrong in this type of project. But its important to know and realize that what ever solution you decide upon has to be manageable by all family members.
BULK WATER:
The first method was long term water storage that could be made available at a moments notice. This type of solution would require that the water be treated to ensure its shelf life was adequate and negate water contamination from algae etc.

Below I have four 45-50 gallon containers which are dedicated for each person and one spare as back up.

These large containers will allow me to have potable standby water anytime when its needed. When properly treated and tested this water is stable for use for a minimum of one year. This water supply is rotated every six months to ensure its fresh and stable for consumption.

The next water solution was a product called Water Bob. This ingenious device is basically a large plastic bladder you place in the tub. Once filled it holds a massive 100 gallons of pure clean drinking water. It comes with a manual hand pump as you see in the picture.

This is great alternative method for bulk water storage but not very practical if no one is around to fill it up. It obviously takes up one good working shower but since there is no water in this scenario why would you be wasting good water you could drink to shower? :?

Regardless this was another great bulk water solution and also allowed fresh water to be obtained.

PORTABLE WATER:
The next method for storing water was using what I used each week. The common 4 liter milk jug which I go through four per month. So, during a 12 month period that would be 48 water containers on hand at any given time.

I like to recycle anything I can which not only saves money but also reduces land fill waste. :P As noted these containers are used for dual use, such as water storage and freezer blocks. I try to rotate 12-24 per per month depending upon season and what we are doing.

The key thing is they are manageable and portable for all to use and carry. The only down side is they are not very robust given their thin plastic shell.

To solve this problem I decided to go with Water Bricks. These are water grade storage containers which stack neatly into any shelf or environment. They are easily transported and carried via their built in handles and made extremely well.

People have been using these containers for various things from food, ammo, what ever. I really like these containers because they are built solid and satisfy the power of 3.

Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Teken

FALL OUT - BACK UP LIGHTING:
Over the years I have tried very hard to have lights during a grid down event. This could be anything from a flash light to candles. My ultimate goal was to have as many back up systems in place that would cover as many scenario's I would encounter.

Below are just a few lighting solutions I have put into place to ensure the family is well taken care of during a power out event.

For me there are several types and conditions which require specific lighting. Where as others its not so much lighting as its a method to alert others of an emergency condition. I believe its very important to cover all types and situations such as task lighting where lots of ambient light is required.

Whether that be for cooking, repairs, or simply to give that sense of security that you're not in the dark. Then, there are situations where you need just enough light to read or to keep an area lit. It doesn't require 100% brightness (2000 lumens) etc.

Other times its simply to mark a trail, item, or location.

The last part is for emergency location or identifying an extreme distance or where flagging down help when needed.
EMERGENCY LIGHTING:
ECO LIGHT:
My first goal was to have portable emergency lights that would come on immediately upon a grid down event. About ten years ago I was in Chicago and one of the guys brought me to a Sams Club. I saw these Eco Lites on blow out, for a four pack for $19.XX.

I scooped them up and brought them back to Canada!

These lights have been placed in strategic location in the home where long term power is required. But doesn't require a lot of task lighting to get from A to B.

I really like these portable flashlights because they are dual use devices. One of the things I liked about these lights are the inductive charging ports it uses. You simply place them in their docking station and they charge the flash lights.

No fuss, no muss, and they come on when power goes out. It also has a switch at the base to make it a *Night Light* which activates when its dark.

This unit has two modes which is on, and strobe. Given these units use 6 very low output LED's the light output is not very bright. But, this is balanced out by the fact they run for a very long time. I have tested them and they have lasted more than 12 hours in the on position.

I am uncertain how long the strobe function would operate but am sure its comparable if not longer.

Video of these units in action to follow:

WAKA WAKA SOLAR LIGHT CHARGER:
Several years ago I was backing another KS project called Waka Waka.

These portable flash lights provide me another important solution which was *What happens if the grid is out for an extended period of time* coupled with having a method to recharge other devices like a cell phone etc.

I have seven of these Waka Waka solar flash lights which you guessed it, can be recharged by the sun. There is a micro USB side port to recharge the device via grid power should it be required or needed. The added bonus is the other side port allows the user to recharge another device via USB.

Whether it be a iPad, cell phone, GPS, what ever.

The device has four green LED's which indicate both charging capacity and battery level. These are some of the features indicated by the vendor:

The WakaWaka Power+ is a durable, lightweight and compact solar charger that is capable of charging virtually any type of (smart)phone or small electronic device within just a few hours and providing up to 150 hours of safe, sustainable light.

- Full battery after 12 hrs in the sun
- Completely charges an iPhone 5s in 2 hrs
- 3 light settings: from 5 to 75 lumen
- Flexible positioning: table top, on a bottle, hanging from the ceiling
- SOS emergency beacon
- Patented Intivation SunBoost chip
- 100% recycled PC-ABS, high impact resistant

On the lowest setting this fantastic solar rechargeable flashlight can provide up to 6.25 days of continuous light! I have been able to recharge my iPods, iPhone, iPad, GPS, etc with out a sweat. I have several of these units in emergency back packs and in the glove compartment of the vehicles. I selected high visibility yellow to ensure these units could be found in the dark with out hassle.

The novel hook and bottle holder works just great on a table or hanging upside down in a tent. :P

Video in action and modes:
GRIP LIGHT:
This little pencil style CREE flash light has six high output LED's. The unit has a magnetic base which allows the person to affix it to any metallic object along with a pocket clip. This device takes three AAA batteries and surprisingly operate fine on the cheapest batteries from the dollar store! :lol:

I was not expecting too much from a $8.XX purchase, but was extremely pleased and shocked how sturdy and bright they are. This flash light is used for serious task lighting where lots of light is required but the down side is short battery life.

I have a few of these with lanyards so a person can wear it around their neck. This allows both hands to be free while walking and offers a very wide light spread. Others may want to use the clip on instead for their shirt or pant pocket either method works just fine.

The wide spread light pattern on this pencil LED is quite remarkable as seen below:

I tried vary hard to capture how bright this pencil LED stick is but no joy. :cry:

KUIKU LAMP LIGHT:
I wanted a few cheap flash lights the kids could use for extended periods of time and not worry about losing one should it get lost. I happen to stumble upon this no name Kuiku flash light / lamp. It takes three AAA batteries and has three modes: Low, High, strobe.

The base can be extended up to act like a mini lantern. I have received rave reviews from the kids on how easy its to use along with the proper amount of light just reading a book etc. When the top is extended and if aimed acts like a focused lens for longer throw of the light.

Given its low power LED output it has a very long run time which is great when batteries are scarce or limited in supply.

For a $1.00 this is a great mini lamp flash light for kids.

This is low mode:

This is the high mode:

In strobe mode its very hard to tell since its blinking so quickly.

VOLTAX 37 LED FLASH LIGHT:
One of the things I wanted to try was to find the cheapest flash light that provided the most performance for the buck. I walked into a Dollar Store last year and low and behold came upon this little gem. This crazy looking device can act as a point and shoot flash light which at the top has 7 LED's.

On the base is a 30 LED spread beam task flash light. Either mode can be turned on or off, or both in use.

The base also has a very powerful magnet along with a plastic hook. This device takes two AA batteries and even on cheap batteries lasts a very long time. It doesn't have a huge power output when compared to my Sure Fire or similar.

But for $3.00 and at 600% cheaper in price I have found myself using this style flash light many times. Of course when I found out this flash light was so kick ass. It was no surprise to me to find not one on the shelf anywhere in this entire city! :evil:

So, my plans are to relent and purchase five more of these great flash lights via EBAY. I am not sure why I like this flash light so much but its just solid, bright, and just works. Having the ability to stick it on any wall more than likely is why I love this thing.

I simply turn it on and it floods the entire area where I need light. If I need some side lighting I enable the top portion etc.

This is with the 30 LED activated very hard to see the light pattern correctly in the pitch dark.

This is the light pattern with just the front facing 7 LED's.

On Feb 21st, 2015 it looks like the flash light Gods heard my plea! :lol: I walked into the local Dollar Store and look what was sitting on the shelf! :mrgreen:

MULTI PURPOSE:
Over the years I have collected a number of flash lights from many different manufactures and no one can have a flash light collection with out having a few Mag Lights! :lol:

This massive D cell flash light has dual use one being a flash light. Second as a impact tool should it be required in a combat situation. :|

I am unsure why the GF likes this flash light by her bed side but if it makes her sleep better why not? :roll:

Over the years before Sure Fire and the like came on to the scene Mag Light was king. Over time as they lost relevance and didn't keep up with the times.

I retro fitted many of them to LED along with multi purpose mode switching. These IQ switches allow multi level brightness, SOS, Strobe, and tail light identifier.

As can be seen here the tail cap emits a slow red strobe to allow night retrieval.

During night time or tactical situations every flash light has been retro fitted with various colored lens to ensure night vision, map reading, and task lighting.

Various high output and long usage these other Cree LED flash lights are placed in various disaster kits and back packs.

As a fail over, all of the old school Mag Light bulbs, lens, and tail caps are ready for use.

A secondary flash light kit is placed in a sealed water proof container placed high in the home.

In my first aid kits are these Dorcy high vis water proof and floating flash lights.

HEAD LAMP - HIGH OUTPUT:
This is a extremely high output (2000 lumens) head lamp. This device has three modes of low, high, and extreme strobe.

Anytime I need to be hands free and need a huge amount of light that can be cast more than 350 feet. This is my go to head lamp either for tactical or for short high output lighting.

This unit comes with an adjustable head lamp that can pivot and zoom to focus which provides spot and wide angle light spread.

Has a single green push button activator to cycle through all three modes.

This unit due to its extreme high output requires two massive 3000 mA 3.7 lithium cells. The unit can operate on just one battery cell but for the longest run time and light output both are needed in extreme uses. The charger is plugged into the side of the housing as can be seen here.

HEAD LAMP - INOVA 24/7:
The Inova 24/7 tactical headlamp is one of my most favorite pieces of head gear I own.

It doesn't have a long throw or even offer the brightest light output. What it offers is some amazing night time lighting, notification, and signalling.

Its powered by a single Lithium CR-123 battery cell and depending upon the settings can last from 6 to 15000 hours! :shock:

This multi purpose head lamp comes with various attachments which can be worn as a lanyard, clip on, head band, and magnet. As can be seen this head band offers true 180' pivot and will hold its position at all times.

Removed from its head band for clip on mode.

This fantastic little head lamp has 8 modes from low, med, high, SOS, Strobe, Hazard, Marking Locator, Emergency, Night Mode, etc.

The primary use for this head lamp is for very long use, night vision, and emergency notification and tracking. This device is also field proven in combat and endorsed by both Canadian & American military departments.

CHEM LIGHT - KRILL:
To better assist the team at night these Krill indicator lamps are used in place of standard flares and chem lights.

This fantastic night stick uses only two AA batteries and can provide more than 150 hours of continuous light output. It is cold weather rated, water proof, down to 30 meters. Its extremely easy to use, simply by screw and turn.

Unlike a standard chem light this can be turned on / off and the light output is consistent right down to empty.

This device has been combat proven, and endorsed by both Canadian and American military departments.

Video in use and features:
CHEM LIGHT - LAZERBRITE:
One of my requirements was to have *just in time* replaceable high output lights. But have the flexibility to turn them on / off. The military has been using these Lazerbrite chem light sticks for marking, lighting, and identification purposes.

Below are four samples of these fantastic chem lights. They have an idiot proof twist and light activator and can be used as a spot light, marker, indicator, or stealth locator.

For illustration purposes I removed four of the twelve sets for review. The yellow base unit has a long white tube in this configuration it can be used as a long throw flash light. Removing the entire tube and just using the base the unit can act like a high output candle.

The one with the orange / green base shows how different end caps can be used for marking, beacon, and identification.

The white base is a IR version of this fantastic device. Using the appropriate NVG IR site or goggles a person or object can be marked and not be visible to the naked eye. :mrgreen:

Since I don't have my NVG's to show case the IR LED I swapped it out with just a plain white unit which you see with the other colors. These Lazerbrites are equivalent to a high intensity 5 minute chem light once activated.

This is what the green unit looks like when used as a marker or identifier using a medium cap. The reason I like these so much is that it offers a method to mark an area, person, or item. All the while offering long term lighting with out eating up tons of batteries.

Used in candle mode for ambient light in a tent etc.

Orange with a small cap in place and the output that is provided.

Yellow with an extended tube which can also be used as a point and shoot flash light. Right now every member each has a green for long range night vision, red for night viewing, and white for task lighting.

CHEM LIGHTS - STANDARD:
In certain situations where electrical devices can not be used like above. Whether it be due to combustible gas or where the light needs to be left for marking purposes which I consider throw away. I have ten cases of these chem lights in various light output.

They range from 5 minute high intensity, 30 minutes, and 12 hours in various colors.

For those conditions where its considered throw away these cheaper chem lights are used. For more important tasks I use the Cyalume branded chem lights as they are military approved and explosive safe to use.

TRITIUM MARKERS:
One of my most favorite long term light source has been tritium light sticks. If you have read this far you would have noted I have many methods of lighting at my disposal. As stated, my end goal is to have and cover any situation where light, marking, identification can be had and made.

This device is made of a low yield radio active material which has a working shelf life of 10 years. This means no batteries, chemicals, heat, electricity. It simply radiates its light 24/7/365 for ten plus years. As can be seen they come in various colors for any purpose.

These vials have been attached and tasked to mark all mission critical appliance, tool, bag, area in and around the home. I have specific colors used for first aid, fire arms, food / water, security, and clothing.

They are used in zippers to ensure in the dark any item can be found from a tent, sleeping bag, jacket, etc.

I have several lengths and sizes for specific task and equipment to ensure items are easily located in the pitch black. These devises are all weather hot & cold rated, water proof, freezer proof, and won't be a hazard in a combustible situation or environment.

They are extremely sturdy and drop and shock proof.

LASER MARKER:
There are times when a situation requires extreme distance and notification. To allow me to communicate and signal at extreme distances I have six 10 mW laser wands.

This product is not legal for use in Canada / America as it has a four position switch. Laser pointers in any variety must have a push activated button that turns on when pressed and off when released. This laser wand does not do this but allows the end user to turn it on for a continuous beam, strobe, SOS, or low pulse.

Because this device is so high power and has a four locked modes this device comes with a key lock to ensure it can not be activated by accident. In an emergency this laser wand can actually start a fire so its a great back up for fire starting. :mrgreen:

In a tactical scenario this laser wand can be used to blind an intruder or attacker. This fantastic device has saved my bacon one time in the bush from a black bear. Its safe to say when the bear approached me he got a full 10 mW of laser in the eye ball.

I truly believe he was made completely blind since I pointed it at him for more than 10 seconds after the bear banger went off! All I can say is thank God for a 12 gauge shot gun, laser, and bear bangers!

This amazing kit came with a 1000 denier holster, 3 rechargeable lithium ion cells, and a high speed charger.

PUCK LIGHTING:
For stationary locations in the home I wanted self contained lights that not only added to the decor but offered lighting during a grid down event. During my research it was found the Lightmates LED wireless pucks were highly rated and offered great value.

I picked up a sample at my local Costco and decided to give them a try. It didn't take long before I confirmed and validated these lights were great for the intended purpose.

What I really liked about this product is that it has two methods to turn on / off the puck lights. You can use the central paddle or simply press on the glass puck and they will turn on. Each package comes with high quality Duracell batteries, 3M double sided tape, and mounting holes should it be required.

Each set comes with five low output Cree style LED's.

The only negative I can say about these remote puck lights are they go through batteries like crazy! :|

Since I liked these remote puck lights so much I received two more sets for XMAS a few years back. :mrgreen: The first set is installed under the kitchen counters while a second set is installed in the basement. While the last set is scattered around in different rooms, floors, zones.

Such as the pantry, closets, communications.

PATH LIGHTING:
To add more to my automated lighting system I came upon these incredible photo sensitive wall units. I picked these units up in LA about seven years ago. Not only do they serve as path lighting at night they come on during a grid down event.

These are the perfect solution to light a path around the home when the power is out.

One unit in operation in a dark lit area in the hall way.

HIGH OUTPUT - SPOT LIGHT:
Just to change gears a little bit I wanted to share with you one of two high output spot lights. This crazy spot light can throw a direct focused beam more than 20 freaking miles! :o :lol:

I have used this quite a few times in the bush and various camping sites. For my intended purpose this high output spot light is meant for extreme distance lighting or for signaling. For more multi purpose use I have a 12 volt to 120 VAC adapter plug for home use.

For stationary or spot lighting the handle can be removed and a tripod foot can be extended for use. During a grid down event a dedicated 12 volt power supply is mated with this spot light system. One of the battery cells is rated to provide 7 days of continuous power output.

PERIMETER LIGHTING:
One of the most important aspects of security is perimeter lighting for force protection and detection. To that end I have six of these high output tri head motion sensor lights which has a creep detector.

These units have been retro fitted with high output LED's instead of the standard bulbs. Not only does this conserve massive power but also extends my battery run time should they be on battery only.

I really like these motion sensor lights because they are rugged, all weather, and cold rated to detect real movement while reducing false alarms. These lights are integrated into my Insteon and security network so notification of outside movement is known and detected.

For an extra layer of lighting one of these are also installed in my garage for back up lighting. All of these security motion lights are powered by an isolated battery bank that is powered by a 120 VAC dedicated circuit in the home.

With these lights in place the entire property is well lit and monitored for outside movement.

Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Teken

Fall Out - Place Holder
Teken . . .

Teken

Fall Out - Place Holder
Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:05 pm

DASH BOX - BETA 4.1.7A FEATURES
The above Beta 4.1.7a firmware was released on August 06, 2014. This release incorporates a host of new feature sets and resolves a few small bugs.

The upper docked bar has a new look, rearranges a few tabs, and now incorporates separate power used / generated power bar meters. Hovering over any of the two meters will give the user the last 50 samples of power readings.

This release now supports larger screen resolutions as can be seen by this massive screen capture! :lol:

There is now a new home page tab at the upper left of the docked header. This new page indicates all the major elements of the Green Eye Monitors data collection. This is a quick summary, at a glance view, providing the top 10 consumers along with other related energy readings and charts.

Selecting any of the top 10 consumers redirects the user to a zoomed view of that circuit load.

The pulse channels have also seen a major facelift in terms of how the data is presented. I can't wait to get all the pulse capturing devices in my home deployed to take advantage of this new view.

The 1 Wire temperature probes also have new chart which can display both values of Celsius vs Fahrenheit. This area is still work in progress, as its a little hard to define the adjacent channels.

One of my personal requests was to enable the Dark Mode. This feature is native to the Arm Charts application. This feature has now been turned on and provides the end user a much cleaner view, visibility, when using neon colored charts / graphs.

Below are a few samples of how beautiful looking this dark mode allows the same graph to be rendered. :P

Solar in light mode

Solar in dark mode

This circuit monitors the fridge using a neon yellow color. It is near impossible to see easily, but with the dark mode enabled its wonderful to say the least.

This is using light mode:

Dark mode, no more eye strain! :lol:

Voltage Graph using light mode.

Voltage Graph using dark mode.

Live Data tab view with light mode.

Live Data tab view simply testing out how it looks with the power bars.

In a previous beta release the current / amps have been made available via the real time data drop down tab. The amount of flexibility and information generated by the Dash Box is simply outstanding to say the least.

This new feature will be used quite a lot in the not too distant future at home. As I deploy more infrastructure equipment and will have the ability to see the start up current on a few pieces of key gear I am currently beta testing.

The log in screen has seen a new face lift.

The same has been applied to the Energy Monitors tab. In a few previous releases Brultech enabled the ability to change the PT settings with out entering the GEM's set up page along with other enhancements which you see below.

Another feature request posed to Brultech was having the ability to see incoming IP's accessing the Dash Box (DB). This would allow the Admin to ban said IP from accessing the system. I have asked Ben at Brultech to expand on this area by including a area to append a friendly name to the IP address for historic recall.

To also aid in the security features of the Dash Box I have suggested that a time stamp along with a having the ability to restrict the DB to the same sub net. All of these little enhancements will help protect the system from casual hackers.

In previous beta releases, sometimes performing a system backup and clearing the data base would result in locked state. Ben has since implemented a recovery mode option from the clear database state.

The reboot page link option has since grown a lot larger. I guess he made it bigger for us old guys to see and press! :lol: :mrgreen:

Improvements to the Time Of Use (ToU) for those who subscribe to such power schemes. This new dial and chart indicate clearly what each period costs per KWH. The UI reflecting this area is much more direct and clear when setting up the ToU rates and periods.

Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Dash Box - ISY-994 State Variable Support
In Beta firmware 4.1.7a Brultech has enhanced the capability of the Dash Box in pushing state variables to the ISY-994iZ home automation controller! :o

Every channel from the Green Eye Monitor (GEM) is now exposed and can be pushed to the ISY-994iZ. This includes all 32 electrical channels, 8 temperature sensors, 4 pulse channels, voltage, net metering channels.

Having this new feature will provide the end user incredible flexibility in crafting programs with in the ISY-994iZ and long last be able to act on it via the Insteon network! I can not begin to express my deepest gratitude to Ben at Brultech for taking so much time to develop and enhance the capabilities of the Dash Box (DB).
VIRTUAL BEER - VIRTUAL BEER - VIRTUAL BEER FOR BEN!
This new feature is contained in the Forward Data Tab. Once the corresponding State Variable is created in the ISY. All the user has to do is enter the network settings along with credentials for the ISY.

Next the channel and State Variable ID is simply entered into the appropriate box.

ISY State Variable created to capture all Green Eye Monitor channels. :mrgreen:

In the next few weeks my plan is to sit down and craft a few programs to take advantage of this new found capability and feature set. Its been a very long road waiting for the release of ISY 5.X firmware.

When firmware for the ISY-994 5.X is released, it will only enhance the ability, power, capability, of the Green Eye Monitor (GEM) and that of the Dash Box (DB) offerings. The amount of hard work, dedication, and never ending pursuit to develop a first rate energy management solution from Brultech is clearly presented here!
Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:06 pm

VOLTAGE DETECTION
During the last several years one of my side hobbies has been monitoring the line voltage in my home. One of the key reasons is having lived through many lightning storms in the United States and other places around the world. The amount of damage and devastation that can happen to your electrical devices from low / high voltage swings is remarkable.

To that end, having the Dash Box, Green Eye Monitor, ISY-994iZ Pro, and other related hardware devices. It has been much easier to detect, record, and manage the electrical system in my home. I wanted to show you what the system was able to detect, capture, then alert me what the HA system was doing about it.

At 4:26 PM on Nov 26, 2014, I received a SMS Prowl Alert from the HA system. It had indicated a high voltage condition of over 128 VAC as you see below.

This was followed by a e-mail alert from the ISY-994 indicating the actual voltage detected. One of the things I did was include what the Dash Box had detected at the same time. Unfortunately the send interval for the Dash Box to the ISY is different than the GEM to the ISY.

This causes a voltage discrepancy in what is detected simultaneously. So, armed with this information I can now adjust the two devices to have the same send intervals moving forward.

Because the rise in voltage was so quick this is what the system was able to capture.

A few seconds later . . . It dipped back down for a tenth of a volt

Later it went back up for a brief period and settled back down.

With the power of the Dash Box I was able to capture the rise in voltage using the Real Time Data option. As you see high lighted in the green circle this rise happen very quickly.

Breaking down the event shows the line voltage to be a steady 123.6 VAC all day until this event which you see below.

Moments later you see the rise in voltage to 124.0 VAC.

Finally, after zooming in we can see the max voltage that was captured by the DB.

To verify the readings and the data at hand. I used my ACR Power Watch Monitor to collaborate the event and readings. This is the current settings for the unit so that low level disturbances can be captured. Next year I plan to adjust the other unit to a more (expected) and normal value.

As fine settings such as these quickly fill up the 4000 memory count allocation before it wraps over the counter.

Below is a scan for the same time and date which also appeared the previous day. As can be seen in the same log on Nov 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM for just the briefest of moments a voltage sag was detected for 4.0 & 4.5 cycles.

With out fine tuning the ACR to such extreme low level settings this would normally not be captured at all. As indicated this was done to obtain the most granular levels of power disturbances in the home.

The reality is, such power events happen everyday and they are within normal tolerances for all electronic devices.

This chart shows the event and where it lies in the safe, prohibited, and danger ranges.

In the future I plan on loading up even more granular line voltage readings from my Fluke O Scope and data logger. This $10K device is used on a daily basis in my home to ensure the power quality is first rate and helps me confirm or negate power issues as the primary driver.
Teken . . .

Teken

Post by Teken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:07 pm

DASH BOX - BETA 4.1.8C4 FEATURES
The above Beta 4.1.8C4 firmware was released on November 28, 2014. This is a minor release which resolves a few small bugs.

The upper dock area has seen a minor face lift. The three main tabs have been renamed to better reflect the intent and use of each tab. It has also been renamed to flow with other elements of the Dash Board. The Search feature has been moved from the right to the left and has a prominent white search field box.

Looking at the new tab names looks *Visually* better to me as each word appears the same length. Not too sure how that impacts others. But, human ergonomics and details such as these enforce a professional product.

To continue with the above theme, feed back by several members have helped unify the Dash Board naming convention.

There are two methods to select a channel.

One is simply selecting the load icon of choice and this will bring you to the details for that circuit. At the upper right is a drop down list (View Channels) of the same circuits for a speed choice selection.

Introduced in Beta 4.1.8C was having the ability to select 1-5 decimal places for the KWH costs. This great feature has been carried over to 4.1.8C4 :P

This feature can be enabled under Settings -> Admin Settings -> Currency. This is high lighted in the red box listed below.

One of the best features introduced in the 4.1.8 firmware releases has been the percentage load view. High lighted in red the user can now see the percentage each load when compared to the daily total of the mains.

This simple yet powerful view lets you know what appliance, load, circuit, is costing you money.

As stated many pages back after all the appliances have been replaced, down sized, or removed. Essentially this is a lifestyle for those trying to be as green as possible while helping to offset their carbon foot print. With small children teaching them from the onset when they are still little is what will get you there.

Since kids are very visual seeing a picture explains it all. As you noted the little blue house is not visible above. Brultech has left this Easter Egg still in place and all one needs to do is click on the percentage area to un hide the little blue house. :P

At home this is sometimes a game about who can keep the blue house un shaded when compared to previous days energy use. I believe a little interaction goes a long way and Brultech has provided that here.

Introduced also in early 4.1.8C series releases was having the ability to see the color pallet for the channels in the system high lighted in blue. Now there is no problem seeing and confirming what each channel will render for color charts and graphs.

Ben has also introduced two drop down list options. In red is the channel type, in orange is the select a channel. This helps the end user filter only the channels he wishes to see and work on. Just another small detail that makes the Dash Box (DB) even more user friendly and powerful.

In Beta 4.1.8C4 this release has added all known channels to the Live Data page. This includes the temperature, pulse, and voltage. Currently this area is a work in progress as the temperatures (18'C) when high lighted to the right indicate 18 watts. :lol:

I am pretty sure Ben will get this area sorted out in good time. :mrgreen: It must have been too much Thanks Giving turkey that let this problem get past him. :P

The Reboot System page has seen yet another face lift. :lol: I am pretty sure those with vision impairments such as I can't miss this option now! :geek:

The Adjust Time has also seen a face lift. ;) Do you think he's trying to tell some of you what to do?? :mrgreen:

Another feature request I had asked for was having the ability to see what State Variable values were being sent to the ISY Series Controller. Specifically, I wanted to see a static view of the values that did not auto update. This would assist in trouble shooting and identifying problem area's.

This new feature can be found by going to: Settings -> Forward Data -> ISY State Variables -> View Last ISY Post as you see highlighted below.

Selecting this tab will open a new web browser window and the user is presented with a static view of the state variables that were just sent. Yet another great feature enhancement from Brultech making the Dash Box (DB) the market leader in integration with the UDI ISY-994 IZ Pro Series Controller.

Well done . . .

In early 4.1.8C releases the format for the raw logs had changed. I just wanted to document this here for archival purposes.

It appears in 4.1.8C4 that the *Help* tab has been removed. This section has been very outdated and gather this area is being worked on to reflect the most current features and offerings of the DB software.

The load profile tab was given a new face lift way back in previous 4.1.X releases. I am now just getting around to documenting it, sorry. :lol:

Selecting the load profile will present the user with the KWH bars.

Selecting any one of them will zoom into that time frame and indicate the channels energy, temp, pulse data.

The user can deselect any of the channels to render less information or all.

The Top 10 Consumers labels have been fixed a little. In the previous 4.1.8C2 release the labels for all crunched together and was very hard to read. Now every second column label is removed which also provides more room for the words to appear.

Updating the firmware on DB now has three dialog box's indicating the progress and state as seen below.

Teken . . .

Teken

DASH BOX - BETA 4.1.8C5 FEATURES
I am unsure how long this feature has been present. But wanted to point out a very subtle color rendering for the temperature value chart.

I am going to guess this feature came out in 4.1.7 builds but I never noticed until now! :mrgreen: You will notice the monthly average temps are indicated in blue for January 2014.

Blue meaning its freaking cold out there!

This is for May 2014 on the left the numerals are black. To the right the numerals are brownish red?

This is for July 2014 on the left the numerals are brownish red. To the right they are red indicating its hot.

This is for August 2014 same numeral coloring.

This is for October 2014 its getting cooler so the numerals are black.

This is for November 2014 winter is upon us all and this is reflected in the numeral color.

I find during each successive builds these small features which Brultech has incorporated into the Dash Box are truly amazing! These small elements help in what I call the Human Ergonomics, this is where things to the lay person just makes sense.

There is no real hard thinking about what you see, the data just makes sense when you look at it.
Teken . . .

Teken

Dash Box - Place Holder
Teken . . .