My Install

Working on a home project? Post it here.
Tirnanah

My Install

Post by Tirnanah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Hey All,

First of all, I'd like to publicly thank Ben, Teken, and Sam at SEG for all their help in getting me through setting this up. As noted below, I work on computers for a living, but this power stuff has been beyond me and I'm still learning more and more about it (which is a good thing!). So thank you for your continued help and patience with sometimes obvious questions. I thought I would do a post with pictures of what my install turned out looking like. Hopefully this can help someone that (like me) doesn't really understand what he was doing, but has learned a lot in this process, or maybe give someone ideas that helps them with their install.

Background (skip if you want, it's kind of a rant): I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Electricity is currently 25 cents a KW and we are expected another 2.5 cent increase from our co-operative (note that I use that term loosely). Our energy is generated with expensive fuel oil instead of natural gas like the lower half of the state. Chances of our rates going down anytime in the next 10 years is nil, and as oil continues to rise, so will our rates (right now the fuel to generate the power I use is about $30 more then the cost of the power I use).

About me: I'm a desktop/server/SQL programming guy by trade. I'm also a saxophonist in a couple small groups around town. I am not an electrician, so take anything that I've done with a grain of salt, and double check yourself on everything! I have basically rebuilt everything in my house except for the outer walls (which is coming, thank you 2" foam and house wrap), and some of the sheetrock on the inside. If you can do it to an existing house, I've either contemplated it or done it.

Goals: At least know where the electricity is going, then do every thing possible to reduce our usage. I will be adding a couple of pulse counters for water and fuel oil, mostly just to know what's going through the pipe (we are on a well, don't "pay" for water). I also want to setup a local database to pull down info and send me alerts when circuits go out of the normal range, or when they have been on for too long (remind us to turn things off!).

Luck that I had: I could completely kill power to the house (verified several times with 3 different multimeters), so the CT install was relatively painless. I also have a crawl space under my entire house, so it's wired for CAT5 and it was easy to run 25 pair for extending the CT leads. I had access to lots of supplies such as CAT5, 25 pair, and all the tools for testing and crimping cables.

Things I'm still not happy with: I managed to kill my EtherPort somehow (through no fault of brultechs), so I'm still working with Ben to resolve that. I'd also like to find a better method for the temperature block in the rack. Some kind of punch down block or something. I will also be moving from my full size rack to two smaller racks, which will let me re-route and fix the cables down a little better. Things are still pretty strewn around in there.

Anyway, to the install. Since many people have posted pictures of the GEM before install, I'm not going to. I shrunk the pictures. If you'd like the full size image for something, just PM me with your email and I'll send them to you.

Thanks,
Doug
Brultech Mounted on the rack shelf.  Another to fix is find shorter bolts, I just used some I had laying around.  The power strip at the back is now down below.
Brultech Mounted on the rack shelf. Another to fix is find shorter bolts, I just used some I had laying around. The power strip at the back is now down below.
DSC00406.JPG (109.9 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
GEM powered up and the temperature blocks fixed.  It took me about 5 tries to not over tighten the screws on the blocks and break the thin cable.  The blocks I found at Home Depot.  I'd still like to change them out for some kind of punch down block, or at least something cleaner looking.
GEM powered up and the temperature blocks fixed. It took me about 5 tries to not over tighten the screws on the blocks and break the thin cable. The blocks I found at Home Depot. I'd still like to change them out for some kind of punch down block, or at least something cleaner looking.
DSC00407.JPG (129.97 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
Garage Power box before CTs.  This box is fed from my main box in the house.  I could have put the CTs for total here OR in the main box, I choose to put them here.  They exit down under the house, where I spliced them into 25 Pair that runs in the left size of the next GEM picture.
Garage Power box before CTs. This box is fed from my main box in the house. I could have put the CTs for total here OR in the main box, I choose to put them here. They exit down under the house, where I spliced them into 25 Pair that runs in the left size of the next GEM picture.
DSC00409.JPG (109.56 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
Tirnanah

My Install Part 2

Post by Tirnanah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:37 pm

3 attachment limit, so it'll be a couple posts.
Garage Box after CTs.  I finally added the bottom left, so I need go back and re-tie wrap stuff.
Garage Box after CTs. I finally added the bottom left, so I need go back and re-tie wrap stuff.
DSC00478.JPG (119.4 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
House Box before install.  They were kind enough to put a right angle exit point at the bottom right.
House Box before install. They were kind enough to put a right angle exit point at the bottom right.
DSC00411.JPG (118.21 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
House box after install.  I did my best to use what I could to tie the cables and make it look neat, but there's only so much you can do with all the other stuff in the box.
House box after install. I did my best to use what I could to tie the cables and make it look neat, but there's only so much you can do with all the other stuff in the box.
DSC00413.JPG (122.07 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Tirnanah

My Install Part 3

Post by Tirnanah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:43 pm

CAT 5 coming in to the GEM.
CAT 5 coming in to the GEM.
DSC00419.JPG (149.14 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
I decided to "punch down" the garage at the end, then work backwards.  This turned out to be a little bit of a pain in the butt later when I ran the other 25 pair into here (from the house), but it was workable.
I decided to "punch down" the garage at the end, then work backwards. This turned out to be a little bit of a pain in the butt later when I ran the other 25 pair into here (from the house), but it was workable.
DSC00420.JPG (143.78 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
This is one way I extended the temperature sensors (I used the same technique for extending the CT leads).  I also did some of the by soldering together and then covering in heat tape for looks.  This one was for the garage so I really didn't care.
This is one way I extended the temperature sensors (I used the same technique for extending the CT leads). I also did some of the by soldering together and then covering in heat tape for looks. This one was for the garage so I really didn't care.
DSC00424.JPG (98.82 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Tirnanah

My Install Part 4

Post by Tirnanah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:48 pm

What it looks like right now.  The blue cable is an extra RJ45 to COM cable I had laying around from Cisco switches. The white cable below it is 2 pair phone cable (I used that for all the temperature sensors).  I did make a few mistakes counting and getting ahead of myself, so there are some strange openings in the sensors.  Maybe when I move it I will clean that up.
What it looks like right now. The blue cable is an extra RJ45 to COM cable I had laying around from Cisco switches. The white cable below it is 2 pair phone cable (I used that for all the temperature sensors). I did make a few mistakes counting and getting ahead of myself, so there are some strange openings in the sensors. Maybe when I move it I will clean that up.
DSC00479.JPG (134.71 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Close up of the GEM as it sits.
Close up of the GEM as it sits.
DSC00480.JPG (168.98 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Close up of where the temperature sensors all tie in. I still have a few to add, can't decide how I want to run them (most of them run through my CAT5 network, since it's already in place).
Close up of where the temperature sensors all tie in. I still have a few to add, can't decide how I want to run them (most of them run through my CAT5 network, since it's already in place).
DSC00481.JPG (123.46 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Tirnanah

My Install Final

Post by Tirnanah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

This is the spreadsheet I used to keep everything straight while I was installing and extending. If it helps someone........

If there's anything someone would like to see up closer, or a better explanation of, just let me know.

Hope this helps someone.
Attachments
circuit breakers.xlsx
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
abbasi

Re: My Install

Post by abbasi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Very nicely done. I'm just starting to do my project. Your post and the spreadsheet was very helpful. I'll probably post my project pictures and setup shortly.
Tirnanah

Post by Tirnanah » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Glad I could help you out! Let me know if any questions come up and I'll answer with what I've done!

Thanks,
Doug
Tirnanah

Post by Tirnanah » Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 am

So I've had some PMs asking me if I had finished cleaning up my install, and since I have I wanted to post the pictures for all... I'm a neat freak, so I really wanted this to look good. All of my CTs were extended with 25 Pair cable, so the two cables you see coming down from the rack are CTs. The ethernet and COM extension cables run up the right side back into the rack. All of my temperature sensors are plugged into their own set of 25 pair coming from CAT5 jacks mounted in the rack (sorry, didn't take pictures of these, I'll try to this weekend). Then I ran two sets of 25 pair from the right side of the J block into the gem. The upside to this is if I had a CT backwards, I don't have to open the GEM to fix it, I just swap the cables and re-punch down. Everything from the right side to the GEM is completely punched down, even all the pulse counters I'm not using.

Anyway, just to give people more ideas...

Thanks,
Doug
Attachments
DSC01062.jpg
DSC01062.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
DSC01060.jpg
DSC01060.jpg (73.8 KiB) Viewed 6301 times