Home Install Project

Working on a home project? Post it here.
turbo

Re: Home Install Project

Post by turbo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:27 am

sub3marathonman wrote:I was wondering if the two independent circuits / breakers controlled exactly the same outlets and/or lights.

If so, I think I'd at a minimum shut one off now, just to bring things back to a more expected configuration. There are rules about abandoning a circuit, but if there are two separate conductors wired for the exact same circuit, I'd look into that.

Okay, thanks, I've come to the same conclusion, I plan to shut off one of the breakers until I can get it figured out why it's doing that.

I've got my GEM now and done the intial CT installation. Here's some images of the panel with CT's installed. http://www.evernote.com/l/AA4npwz68bRCE ... WkwlmufIE/

My top question right now is, how do you open the CT200? I see this small black tab on the side. It's not apparent what that does or how you open it.

The CT installation went fairly well all things considered. It's a bit nerve-wracking working close to live voltage. I took every precaution I could think of including wearing nonconductive gloves, standing on a nonconductive mat, and using a voltage sensor to detect live current in the lines that were supposed to be off.

The 240 volt lines were the hardest to deal with as they are thicker and run closer to the main feed. Appying muscle to the wire could lead to abrading the insulation, or if you slip you end up banging your tool about. Did that once, but it was all manageable. Took me over an hour.

My next steps are to secure the CT wires and label them. I had it in my head that the load to source orientation of the CT was opposite of the suggested but got that straightened out quickly.

My plan is to exit the panel box at the bottom and use junction box connector clamps, 3/4", there for strain relief. I'll open a small hole in the drywall just below the panel to work through.

I'll end up mounting a piece of wood across the joists with a hole for the CT's. I'll bundle them in the wall void, then mount the GEM on the plywood support. Power is just below the GEM so a straight shot there.

I have a concern in that this is a rental. I have a piece of tinted lexan I'm going to mount over the GEM as a protective shield. Optimally, it would have a locked enclosure that's fairly robust. Any suggestions there appreciated. The Lexan is so neatly shaped and I happened to have it in my project box, that it almost seems like a done deal but more protection is better, especially from people who cannot seem to stay away from electronics with their can of preferred beverage. Anyhoos, going to go ahead regardless. The Lexan looks cool though and I can see the the indicator lights through it. Perhaps I'll make up some kind of lid that protects the interior and prevents putting something on top of it.

Next is to connect the GEM and get it chatting on my LAN and take images of the initial setup and put it on a static IP.

Todd
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 am

The Split 200 can be opened by lifting the lip of the clip. You can see the lip here Image.

You should be able to lift it off with your thumb.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
turbo

Post by turbo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks, I did manage to get the CT's installed with some issues but hopefully not show stoppers.

I've got the GEM hooked up via an Ethernet cable to my Wifi router hub. The Brultech discovery tool tells me the GEM is at 192.168.0.42. Going to that URL gets me a user name and password prompt.

'Admin' is filled in as the user. What's the default password? I've searched the manuals and don't see any reference to it.
tnakelski

Post by tnakelski » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:05 am

turbo wrote:Thanks, I did manage to get the CT's installed with some issues but hopefully not show stoppers.

I've got the GEM hooked up via an Ethernet cable to my Wifi router hub. The Brultech discovery tool tells me the GEM is at 192.168.0.42. Going to that URL gets me a user name and password prompt.

'Admin' is filled in as the user. What's the default password? I've searched the manuals and don't see any reference to it.
Another quote from another user "I then tried connecting to the GEM setup page. That worked! Sort of! The GEM asked for a password! PASSWORD!? I don't need no stink'n PASSWORD! I hit ENTER with null password. " I believe the password field needs to be blank until you set one.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:04 am

turbo wrote:Thanks, I did manage to get the CT's installed with some issues but hopefully not show stoppers.

U: admin
P: admin

Manuals are available here: http://www.brultech.com/software.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com