Advice on 35 circuit install and generac

Working on a home project? Post it here.
scyto

Advice on 35 circuit install and generac

Post by scyto » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:55 pm

I have 35 circuits (see attached photo) and a generac feeds the main box. (I.E. When the electrical company supply cuts off my generac 20k is supposed to kick in).

1) do I need to do anything special because I have a generac
2) will I be able to expand later to cover more than 32 circuits?
3) is there a way to say monitor just 30 circuits and the main input so I can get a gem to show me the non 5 directly monitored circuits in aggregate?
4) if so can someone reccomend which 5 I should not monitor OR some other strategy to persue?

----edit----
I updated my layout, would be intersted in others opinions of where I have grouped circuits on a single channel.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (551.87 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Last edited by scyto on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
67stang

Re: Advice on 35 circuit install and generac

Post by 67stang » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 pm

I can speak to the generator question. I've got a Generac 25KW and there is nothing special to do with respect to monitoring. The generator will , as I assume you already know , will kick in roughly 25 to 30 seconds after the utility power drops out. Once the utility power cuts back in, it's hard to even know its' happened.
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:45 am

1. Nothing special needs to be done.

2. Brultech has not come out with an expansion board for the GEM. But, perhaps lending your voice in this thread would help speed this feature along: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=967

3. You could purchase a 100 / 200 amp CT and monitor the sub panel. This would allow you to see the entire Generac load with out issue.

4. What loads do you wish to monitor? If it came down to priority it would be the: Furnace, HWT, Fridge, Both Sumps, Primary Lights.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am

scyto wrote:1) do I need to do anything special because I have a generac
Just need to make sure it provides an accurate 60Hz.
scyto wrote:2) will I be able to expand later to cover more than 32 circuits?
You'd have to use more than one monitor currently to expand.
scyto wrote:3) is there a way to say monitor just 30 circuits and the main input so I can get a gem to show me the non 5 directly monitored circuits in aggregate?
Depends on the software you use.
scyto wrote:4) if so can someone reccomend which 5 I should not monitor OR some other strategy to persue?
If you have a few low-use circuits, I would combine those onto one channel. You can monitor everything with a few grouped loads.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:58 pm

4) so you are saying rather than using a micro 50 around each wire use one of the larger CTs around multiple wires?

Can you recommend what I would need?
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Teken wrote: 3. You could purchase a 100 / 200 amp CT and monitor the sub panel. This would allow you to see the entire Generac load with out issue.
Is my sub panel the thing with 42 breakers because it subs off the generac panel with the big single breaker between me and the service?

(Sorry for such a noob question)
scyto

Post by scyto » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:04 am

I updated the shot at the top, would be interested if others think it makes sense - esp from a circuit grouping perspective where I either grouped by commonality or grouped something used occasionally with something used often.
Teken

Post by Teken » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 am

scyto wrote:
Teken wrote: 3. You could purchase a 100 / 200 amp CT and monitor the sub panel. This would allow you to see the entire Generac load with out issue.
Is my sub panel the thing with 42 breakers because it subs off the generac panel with the big single breaker between me and the service?

(Sorry for such a noob question)
If you could post an image of your install it would prove helpful. Normally in a basic home you have the service meter which provides power from the POCO. That feeds the main service panel breakers to the home.

Since you have a Generac back up generator you will have a transfer switch and a load center (breaker panel) feeding what ever loads you decided upon.

You have several choices and it comes down to your own set up, preference, or ability to reach the GEM / Generac breaker panel.

1. You could simply monitor the entire 100 / 200 amp load center of the Generac. This would be exactly the same thing you would be doing for the primary service panel which powers your home.

This would simply tell you how much combined load there was being consumed.

2. You could decide to monitor individual circuits along with solution 1. This would allow you to see the total amount of power & also the important loads of your choice: Fridge, Sump, HVAC, Primary Lights, Stove, etc.

3. Or you could simply monitor specific loads or combine a few (grouped) to have more visibility as to what is running and how much consumption each load presents.

There are no hard and fast rules about how its done. It comes down to how much you want to know and the amount of work to complete the task.

If you have ever changed out an outlet or switch in your home. You will be fine in the installation of the GEM. Common sense and basic safety is all that is required. Should you have any questions please do ask the forum members and we would be very happy to help.

If you believe this is best left with an electrician no problem. But, you can do about 90% of the prep prior to the electrician coming on site which will cut down on the labor time.

- Decide which breakers will be monitored and have the correct sized CT.

- Label each CT on both ends so when it comes time to insert it into the GEM it will be quick.

- Ensure you mark the orientation of the 100 / 200 AMP CT. If you make a mistake simply change the wire orientation to reflect accuracy.

- Have emergency lighting at the ready so the work area is highly visible and safe to work in.

- Strip all the Micro CT's to the correct length so they can be inserted into the GEM properly.

- If you need to extend your CT's you can use CAT5e cabling to do so. Please ensure you use proper termination / soldering to ensure a good connection.

- Update your GEM to the latest firmware to get the latest updates and squished bugs.

- Set the GEM up and play with it so you're comfortable with how it operates and what to expect.

- Plan your mounting point and how the wires will be run. This will dictate your sweat equity when it comes time to finalize the install.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 am

scyto wrote:4) so you are saying rather than using a micro 50 around each wire use one of the larger CTs around multiple wires?

Can you recommend what I would need?
I wouldn't use a larger CT around multiple wires, it just complicates things as now you need to make sure that the inner circumference of the CT has enough space to fit multiple wires. You'd be much better off combining multiple CT leads onto one channel.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks Teken, I will post a picture tonight, not sure how illuminating it will be.

All I see on the wall is a 200 AMP generac transfer switch and my main panel, I think it is a whole house switch and there are no sub panels.

I am pretty certain (95%) that the unit is something like this http://www.generac.com/all-products/gen ... wholehouse (though I would have to check - I didn't put it in, it came with the house).

As such I think it is SERVICE METER -> GENERAC TRANSFER SWITCH -> PANEL -> CIRCUITS -> LOAD

As such I was just planning to monitor the main panel.
(Edit, just found a picture on my ipad)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4796 times