GEM & Raspberry Pi: getting started?

Post any 3rd party software here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM & Raspberry Pi: getting started?

Post by ben » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:05 am

cramer wrote:Ben,

GEM48PTBinaryPacket is what it comes up with. Does that need to be set to something else with a command line option?
You need to set that on the GEM Web Interface, under the Packet Settings section, unless you're using btcfg.py to configure the GEM (I'm not too sure how to do it with btcfg).

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
cramer

Post by cramer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 am

So I've set it on a windows machine, but I'm still getting the same error when I plug it back into the RPi. Or does it lose all settings when it's unplugged?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:46 am

cramer wrote:So I've set it on a windows machine, but I'm still getting the same error when I plug it back into the RPi. Or does it lose all settings when it's unplugged?
Cramer,

Are you plugged into COM1 or COM2 of the GEM? Each COM port can send a different packet format.

Can you take a screenshot of the GEM Web Setup Packet page?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
cramer

Post by cramer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Ben,

The Serial-USB is connected to COM1.

Screenshots attached.
Attachments
GEM status page.png
GEM status page.png (31.44 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
GEM packet page.png
GEM packet page.png (47.9 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Teken

Post by Teken » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Looking at your first screen capture. The GEM has lost its hardware settings. This will need to be resolved first before other elements are looked at.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:08 pm

Teken wrote:Looking at your first screen capture. The GEM has lost its hardware settings. This will need to be resolved first before other elements are looked at.
Start up the GEM Network Utility, and do a "Get GEM Info". Sounds like you should be set to No Module with Xbee unchecked.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
cramer

Post by cramer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm trying this entirely on windows now. The GEM network utility recogizes the GEM fine, the irght hardware, etc. I can get into it via the browser, see status, set packet format, etc. All seems fine. Running btmon.py, and i get the same read errors as I was on the Pi. Attached. Anybody know what I'm missing?
Attachments
btmon on windows.png
btmon on windows.png (60.23 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
mwall

Post by mwall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:07 pm

if real time is 'off' then the gem is not sending packets, right?

either ensure the gem is sending packets, or configure btmon to poll the gem for packets.

m
cramer

Post by cramer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 pm

Ah ha, now we're getting somewhere.

I can get it to show channel data on windows, in both client and server modes (just adding the poll variable to the config file for client mode).

But on the Pi, with the same config, i still get "read failed: expected START_HEADER0 0xfe" errors. I can plug it back into the windows machine and get it to work again then without so much as even turning it off.

So what' up with the Pi? Could the fact the there's a wifi adapter on the other usb port of it be affecting it?
sandeen

Post by sandeen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:33 pm

cramer wrote:So what' up with the Pi? Could the fact the there's a wifi adapter on the other usb port of it be affecting it?
Are you reading the proper serial port on the rPi? i.e. probably /dev/ttyUSB0?

I have an rPi working w/ btmon on an FTDI usb<->serial adapter with no problems (wired ethernet).