Smart Energy Groups Uploader for ECM-1240...

Post any 3rd party software here.
Verohomie

Smart Energy Groups Uploader for ECM-1240...

Post by Verohomie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi All -

In response to Google PowerMeter going away, I modified existing Python code to PUT data to Smart Energy Groups. It has a simple GUI, works with both RS-232 and TCP/IP and self installs.

Download the SEG Uploader program from: http://www.greenhomegear.com/files/PC/ecm2seg.zip This program is still in BETA. Please let me know if you find it useful. Also, if you have Python experience and would like to help add multi-ECM support please contact me.

The TCP/IP Port method typically connects to EngineG's client located in Forward Data > Home Automation Plugin > Custom > Client. Point the IP address to the PC running the program. Pick a non-used Port and enable. When the program starts, the built-in server connects with EngineG's client which passes binary energy data packets to the Uploader program.

The Serial method connects directly to the ECM-1240 - OR - via a great utility program that parallels RS-232 ports so data is available to many programs. The XPort utility can be found at: http://www.curioustech.net/downloads/xport150.zip

With this version make "node name" = ecm and "stream name" = p_1, p_2, p_3, p_4, p_5, p_6, p_7. Make these changes when you setup your device, select edit then look at bottom left for "node name". Make sure it is named ecm. Then, edit each "stream name", look at bottom left for "stream name". Change each to match p_1, p_2, p_3, p_4, p_5, p_6, p_7. Lastly, make sure the "type of data" = Power, W.

Brad Norman
brad )at( green home geardotcom
772-257-onethousand USA EST
Last edited by Verohomie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
samotage

Re: Smart Energy Groups Uploader for ECM-1240...

Post by samotage » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:43 am

Hey Brad,

Awesome to see this uploader! Great stuff.

A small tip to work best with SEG:

Make your stream names:

p_1, p_2, p_3 etc for the Power streams, i.e. Watts
e_1, e_2, e_3 etch for the Energy streams i.e. Watt Hours

This way SEG will automatically discover and setup all the streams names with a minimal amount of fuss.

Thanks!
Sam,
@samotage
smartenergygroups.com
Verohomie

Post by Verohomie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 am

Hi All -

Beta version 0.2 is now available. It has Samotage's naming changes.

Download the SEG Uploader program from: http://www.greenhomegear.com/files/PC/ecm2seg.zip This program is still in BETA. Please let me know if you find it useful. Also, if you have Python experience and would like to contribute to future improvements please contact me.

Brad Norman
brad )at( green home geardotcom
772-257-onethousand USA EST
mohansen

Post by mohansen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 am

cpreecs

Post by cpreecs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:32 am

I see the link no longer works. Is this code still available somewhere?
samotage

Post by samotage » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:36 pm

Hey All,

Awesome to see all you people up on SEG!

I was asked a question a little while ago about the Watt Second for the energcoming out of the ECM's and have been working through this lat night with one of the SEG members.

It's not going to be feasible to make SEG handle the watt second energy values and make them play nice with everything else right now. To then deal with this, I've got two solutions / workarounds and suggestions

1. I'd recommend changing the ECM uploaded to perform the conversion to Watt Hours I.e divide the values by 3600.

2. If the above is not feasible for what ever reason there is a calibration factor in SEG for each energy stream that will multiply the incoming data by 0.0002777778 which is 1/3600 for the mathematicians. This does the conversion.

Now... If anyone has any data they would like converted in SEG let me know at sam at smartenergygroups.com. I can have the robots do some jobs to perform option 2 for all your data and re calculate all aggregations etc.

The other thing I would recommend is increasing the time interval from 10 seconds to 45 seconds. This will do a couple of things, reduce rounding problems from the above by a factor of 5 and also provide a better viewable resolution of the raw data over a longer period - a win!

Anyway, let me know if anyone has any questions.

Also, if you like I can also host your uploaded too - Brad let me know if you'd like me to do this :)

Thanks again!
Sam, @samotage
samotage

Post by samotage » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:41 am

Gradial wrote:Until version 0.2, make node name = ecmtest and stream names = ch1_w, ch2_w, aux1_w, aux2_w, aux3_w, aux4_w, aux5_w. Make these changes when you setup your device, select edit then look at bottom left for node name. Make sure it is named ecmtest. Then, edit each stream, look at bottom left for stream name. Change each to match ch1_w, ch2_w, aux1_w, aux2_w, aux3_w, aux4_w, aux5_w. Lastly, make sure the "type of data" is Power, W.
Hey Gradial,

The conventions in the Smart Energy Groups discovery has e_<your channel number> creating kWh data streams by default and p_<your channel number> for power or Watts.

Once these have been found the prefixes can be set. Make sure to send the raw units!

v_<channel number> makes voltage streams
temperature_<channel number> makes temperature streams, it defaults to Celcius but the unit can be changed later to F if you like.

I don't know what happens with the aux ones... let me know over here in the new Brultch peeps Smart Energy Groups forum:
http://smartenergygroups.com/forums/13-Brultech

Sam, @smotage