Packet Forwarding

Post any 3rd party software here.
agr077

Packet Forwarding

Post by agr077 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:12 am

I've been running a GEM and Dashbox that forwards the data to Homeseer. It's been stable and working for several years. I recently noticed that the data was no longer flowing to Homeseer and it turns out it stopped back in October. The dashbox appears to be working just fine and the data in dashbox is complete. I have not changed anything in either of my systems that should be imapcting this. As part of my troubleshooting, I've updated firmware on the dashbox and gem which did not solve the problem. As I've been thinking about moving from Homeseer to Home Assistant I decided to throw together a HA environment to see if the problem was Homeseer specific however I can't seem to get the data to flow to HA either. I've followed the instructions on HA and triple checked my settings relative to a number of posts in this forum as well as on the HA forum. I've also played around with my data setting from Bin 32 to Bin 48 without any impact either.

Has anyone had any recent issues with data packet forwarding. Any ideas on next steps to solve this issue or other things to verify?
ben
Site Admin

Re: Packet Forwarding

Post by ben » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:54 am

agr077 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:12 am
I've been running a GEM and Dashbox that forwards the data to Homeseer. It's been stable and working for several years. I recently noticed that the data was no longer flowing to Homeseer and it turns out it stopped back in October. The dashbox appears to be working just fine and the data in dashbox is complete. I have not changed anything in either of my systems that should be imapcting this. As part of my troubleshooting, I've updated firmware on the dashbox and gem which did not solve the problem. As I've been thinking about moving from Homeseer to Home Assistant I decided to throw together a HA environment to see if the problem was Homeseer specific however I can't seem to get the data to flow to HA either. I've followed the instructions on HA and triple checked my settings relative to a number of posts in this forum as well as on the HA forum. I've also played around with my data setting from Bin 32 to Bin 48 without any impact either.

Has anyone had any recent issues with data packet forwarding. Any ideas on next steps to solve this issue or other things to verify?
On the HA server, can you listen in on the port to see if the DashBox connects to it and sends anything?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
agr077

Post by agr077 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:49 pm

I did a quick investigation in my Homeseer setup. I ran a netstat -a on the computer and can see that the UltrECM process is listening on port 8080. That is the port that is set up in the dashbox packet forwarding setting and the device setting in the homesee plugin. I even went so far as to remove the device in my homeseer plugin setup, shut down the plugin and reboot the machine and was able to observe that there was no longer anything listening on that port. I then re-added the device and set up one of the channels in homeseer to test and can see that the port is listening again, but I don't see any new device being created in Homeseer. Furthermore the database stats in the homeseer plugin are all 0 expect for the size which is 45kb. It really seems like there is no data being forwarded from the dashbox which would explain why the same problem exists in both my Homeseer and Home Assistant setups. Are there other methods to "listen" to see whether there is data flowing?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:37 pm

agr077 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:49 pm
I did a quick investigation in my Homeseer setup. I ran a netstat -a on the computer and can see that the UltrECM process is listening on port 8080. That is the port that is set up in the dashbox packet forwarding setting and the device setting in the homesee plugin. I even went so far as to remove the device in my homeseer plugin setup, shut down the plugin and reboot the machine and was able to observe that there was no longer anything listening on that port. I then re-added the device and set up one of the channels in homeseer to test and can see that the port is listening again, but I don't see any new device being created in Homeseer. Furthermore the database stats in the homeseer plugin are all 0 expect for the size which is 45kb. It really seems like there is no data being forwarded from the dashbox which would explain why the same problem exists in both my Homeseer and Home Assistant setups. Are there other methods to "listen" to see whether there is data flowing?
Is the GEM connected via RS232 to the DashBox?

Apply this update to the DashBox if you haven't already: http://brultech.com/software/files/down ... 2_4c9a.img (under Settings->System->Update Firmware).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
agr077

Post by agr077 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:59 pm

It is connected via RS232 and that update was applied as a first step prior to me posting my original message.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:43 pm

agr077 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:59 pm
It is connected via RS232 and that update was applied as a first step prior to me posting my original message.
Can you attach a screenshot of your port forward? There's nothing I can think of that would stop it from sending.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
agr077

Post by agr077 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:49 pm

attaching a bunch of screenshots.

Does the settings/live data screenshot look right to you? There are no values. I would have imagined there would be.

What about the Homeseer plugin status page. This is take after deleting and re-adding the GEM device. Prior, to me removing the device and re-adding it the database size was 150mb, but the inserts/failure/in queue were all 0 as they are now
Attachments
homeseer status.png
homeseer status.png (31.48 KiB) Viewed 12041 times
settings.png
settings.png (110.36 KiB) Viewed 12041 times
port forward.png
port forward.png (47.04 KiB) Viewed 12041 times
live data.png
live data.png (43.9 KiB) Viewed 12041 times
firmware details.png
firmware details.png (55.78 KiB) Viewed 12041 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:04 am

Everything looks fine there, what packet format is the GEM running? I think HomeSeer only supports Bin-48-NET-Time.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
agr077

Post by agr077 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:43 am

Looks like the firewall on my device had duplicate entries for the homeseer plugin. Not sure what happened to cause that, but it appears that some of them were being blocked. I unblocked and the data is flowing to Homeseer. I still have to solve Home Assistant, but that could be an entirely different issue that I will seek advice on the Home Assistant forum or on a new topic here.