Home Assistant with 3 GEMs and a 1240

Post any 3rd party software here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Home Assistant with 3 GEMs and a 1240

Post by ben » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Says the connection is established too.

If you have netcat installed you could try shutting off the port HA-side and run:

Code: Select all

nc -l 8000
It'll be binary packets coming in so you won't be able to see the data but you should see something.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:08 am

Yep, binary data is coming in and my ssh sessions gets all weird and starts displaying random characters like this that change every few seconds:

So I guess that would indicate there is something is off on the HA side of things?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:01 am

crazydane wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:08 am
Yep, binary data is coming in and my ssh sessions gets all weird and starts displaying random characters like this that change every few seconds:

So I guess that would indicate there is something is off on the HA side of things?
Yeah, that looks good. The SSH session will get weird as PuTTy won't know how to display some of those characters.

Your GEM with Ethernet module, is it set to connect to the HA IP and Port also? I wonder if it's latching and blocking the DashBox from connecting.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:36 am

I switched the GEM with the Ethernet module back to point to the dashbox with HTTP get and port 80.

GEM with Ethernet module pointing to dashbox:

GEM with Ethernet module pointing to HA:

With the GEM above pointing directly to HA I of course deleted the port forwarding on the dashbox so that only one or the other is sending to HA at a time.

Both behave the same. With greeneye-monitor disabled in the yaml config, I see binary data coming to HA, but I see nothing under integration.

Someone suggested that the Ethernet only GEM module does not properly support 32 Bit NET and that I would need to upgrade to the EthernetWifi combo module. Any truth to that?

Regardless, that should not keep the dashbox from being able to send packets to HA that would be properly intercepted.

Maybe something about my setup is just not compatible with HA?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:45 pm

crazydane wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:36 am
With the GEM above pointing directly to HA I of course deleted the port forwarding on the dashbox so that only one or the other is sending to HA at a time.

Both behave the same. With greeneye-monitor disabled in the yaml config, I see binary data coming to HA, but I see nothing under integration.

Someone suggested that the Ethernet only GEM module does not properly support 32 Bit NET and that I would need to upgrade to the EthernetWifi combo module. Any truth to that?

Regardless, that should not keep the dashbox from being able to send packets to HA that would be properly intercepted.

Maybe something about my setup is just not compatible with HA?
The packet format wouldn't be affected by the comm. module and yeah, one or the other should show something given your config (the Dashbox or the GEM).

It looks like HA supports all binary packet formats given the instructions on the webpage. I would try switching back to Bin-48-NET-Time then running a copy of BTmon.py over that port to see if it can process the packets.

Code: Select all

python btmon.py --print --debug --device-type=gem --ip --ip-mode=server --ip-port 8000
https://github.com/BenK22/mtools/tree/influxdb/bin (btmon3.py for Python 3, btmon.py for Python 2.7)

If BTMon.py can read the input then we can put the blame on the HA config.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:27 am

I think we figured out the issue:

This is packet forwarding from the Dashbox. The 2 STS connected GEMs are both set to Bin-32 NET and the Ethernet connected GEM is set to HTTP Get.

So why is the Dashbox sending Bin-48 NET still?

As a result of the Dashbox sending Bin-48 NET, HA is not able to read the packets properly:

crazydane

Post by crazydane » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:40 pm

If I delete the packet forwarding from the dashbox and run btmon, I still see the packet format as Bin 48.

Ditto if I forward from just RS232 #1 or #2 GEM.
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Switched both GEMs to 48-BIN-Net-Time and now btmom is able to read the packets:

But alas, HA is still not seeing the GEMs under integrations.

This is what I have in my configuration.yaml for testing purposes:

crazydane

Post by crazydane » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:07 am

Meant to post an update last week. Ben got me squared away with updated firmware for the DashBox that allows all 3 of my GEMs to send 48 BIN-Net-Time packets and they are all being forwarded to my HA server and working properly now.
slords

Post by slords » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:11 pm

What was the version of the firmware? I'd like to be able to forward from my dashbox to HA as well.