LibreNMS Support

Post any 3rd party software here.
SirMaple

LibreNMS Support

Post by SirMaple » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm

I've recently switched over to LibreNMS from Cacti.

I would love to see some type of support to get gem data into LibreNMS.

I tried opening an issue on github under LibreNMS but since the GEM doesn't support snmp it wasn't accepted.

I know it would involve using the btmon script running on the LibreNMS poller and another script to call and take the output and feed it to LibreNMS in a method it's capable ingesting and graphing.

I know next to nothing when it comes to coding.

Any help would be great!
ben
Site Admin

Re: LibreNMS Support

Post by ben » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:15 pm

http://snmplabs.com/pysnmp/index.html is a good starting point if anyone is looking to give this a shot. I'm not sure how difficult it would take to "clone" one of the current packet formats and add support to it (haven't dug into btmon.py in awhile).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
SirMaple

Post by SirMaple » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:17 pm

What are the chances of having snmp service added to the dashbox and have it serve up the GEM data with a basic snmp OID? Would only need it to serve it every minute.

The only thing I see being an issue would be how it would work if you had 2 GEMs connected to the dashbox.

I'm just not sure if the CPU and RAM on the dashbox can run the snmp service on top of what it's already running.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm

SirMaple wrote:What are the chances of having snmp service added to the dashbox and have it serve up the GEM data with a basic snmp OID? Would only need it to serve it every minute.

The only thing I see being an issue would be how it would work if you had 2 GEMs connected to the dashbox.

I'm just not sure if the CPU and RAM on the dashbox can run the snmp service on top of what it's already running.
Might be possible, I'd have to look into it. There's a Python library for SNMP. Don't want to add anything that would increase writing however.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
SirMaple

Post by SirMaple » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Cool!

If it is possible to put snmp on the dashbox all that would need to be presented is each channel/1 wire/pulse on its own OID.
SirMaple

Post by SirMaple » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:34 am

ben wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm
Might be possible, I'd have to look into it. There's a Python library for SNMP. Don't want to add anything that would increase writing however.
Have you had a chance to look into possibility of putting SNMP capabilities on the DashBox?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:34 am

SirMaple wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:34 am
ben wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm
Have you had a chance to look into possibility of putting SNMP capabilities on the DashBox?
I played around with it a bit. It was a real PITA to get going.

I'm unsure the value it would have in terms of the DashBox beyond like uptime. I'm not a network admin so I don't have the best understanding on it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
SirMaple

Post by SirMaple » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:52 am

ben wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:34 am
I played around with it a bit. It was a real PITA to get going.

I'm unsure the value it would have in terms of the DashBox beyond like uptime. I'm not a network admin so I don't have the best understanding on it.
I feel that having every GEM Channel presented as a SNMP OID would allow for more granule alerting. In LibreNMS it would allow for AND/OR conditions to be met before sending the alert.

Another option I could also see working would be a script running on a Pi or VM that uses the btmon script to present the data as SNMP OIDs. I just suck at the scripting required to parse data or I'd whip something up myself.