Hack to make Bidgely disaggregation work w/ btmon

Post any 3rd party software here.
sandeen

Hack to make Bidgely disaggregation work w/ btmon

Post by sandeen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:08 pm

So, I officially heard from Bidgely that data sent through the API is not routed through their disaggregation routines. Why? Dunno. Maybe they don't trust it, and don't want to mess up the machine learning?

Anyway, what you can do is send fine-grained data to wattvision, and tell bidgely to pull from wattvision. And it all actually works, and it's pretty cool. ;)

But they are using the Wattvision V1 API, which is slated to go away fairly soon. :(

Another thought I had was to make a "fakeTED" output for btmon, and send TED5000-like pushes to a destination, using that format. Or a cgi script to make it look like an external application is pulling from an actual ted device, by querying the btmon database...

Bidgely also claims to support the ECM-1240 directly; so the official software must send something with an official handshake to get it accepted. Has anyone looked a that?
scyto

Re: Hack to make Bidgely disaggregation work w/ btmon

Post by scyto » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:10 pm

I looked at idgely, plotwatt and other and never managed to figure out how to get the GEM to work with them, if you ever figure out let me know.

In the end I just put a full 32 channel GEM in the house and it is pretty apparent to me what spikes are for what devices.
sandeen

Post by sandeen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:19 am

scyto wrote:In the end I just put a full 32 channel GEM in the house and it is pretty apparent to me what spikes are for what devices.
Sure, that's the advantage of the per-channel monitoring - you know exactly what's what. I was more curious to see how well their disaggregation algorithm could figure it out. :)
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 pm

scyto wrote:I looked at idgely, plotwatt and other and never managed to figure out how to get the GEM to work with them, if you ever figure out let me know.

In the end I just put a full 32 channel GEM in the house and it is pretty apparent to me what spikes are for what devices.
BTmon.py would be your best bet.

Bidgelys API is too heavy for the GEM to output natively, and PlotWatt requires a time-stamp with every sample, and some back and forth to register devices, etc.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Ok, I finally got it working with btmon.py, shame about the disaggregation.

Any chance the DB might support bidgely directly - does it have enough power?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:29 am

scyto wrote:Ok, I finally got it working with btmon.py, shame about the disaggregation.

Any chance the DB might support bidgely directly - does it have enough power?
Bidgely is ending support for most 3rd party devices soon.

https://bidgely.uservoice.com/knowledge ... ou-support
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks, yes they said the same to me. They don't indicate wether they are dropping their support for public access to the API but blueline indicated to me bidgely only wants to work directly with power companies. so I guess they will only support the devices the power companies tell them to.

And I logged a call to ask them to support you, but yes they said no :-(
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:21 am

scyto wrote:Thanks, yes they said the same to me. They don't indicate wether they are dropping their support for public access to the API but blueline indicated to me bidgely only wants to work directly with power companies. so I guess they will only support the devices the power companies tell them to.

And I logged a call to ask them to support you, but yes they said no :-(
Yeah, I don't think our stuff fits into their ecosystem. It looks like the main focus is to try to detect loads based off of your main load profile.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.