btmon database "compaction?" --mysql-insert-period?

Post any 3rd party software here.
sandeen

btmon database "compaction?" --mysql-insert-period?

Post by sandeen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 am

I'm using btmon with great success, running 2 instances on a raspberry pi, sending that data to another server to store in a database, and from there (after reading the database) sending it out to various endpoints. This effectively combines 2 ECM-1240 data streams.

However, I'd like to turn up the frequency to get better than 10s resolution; I'd love to be able to get 1s resolution to send to Bidgely, or to create a simple live webpage with as close to real-time data as possible.

But I don't want to bloat the database size by a factor of 10.

I would think that it's possible to run a cron job to compact 1s-granular data into, say, 1min-granular data after a week or so. Has anyone done something like that already? I don't have much db-fu.

Or is there some other solution for generating and distributing 1s data, but storing something less granular? I guess there is i.e. --mysql-insert-period=10, does that mean that if I have 1s-granular data, it'll insert 10 1s-granular records every 10s, or does it mean that it will aggregate 1s data into 10s data, and insert 1 record every 10s?

Thanks,
-Eric