Forward Data - Client/Server mode? CQC/btmon/SEG

Post any 3rd party software here.
JWHardesty

Forward Data - Client/Server mode? CQC/btmon/SEG

Post by JWHardesty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 am

I have 2 ECM-1240s sending data to wireless Etherbee set up in client mode. My Windows Home Server 2011 is running Engine G in server mode and storing the data in sqlite. I want to keep that intact as it has been rock-solid for 3 years.
I would like to forward that data to SEG but have had some trouble getting it to work. I first tried to use btmon to read from the sqlite database, but I could not make that work.
I took Paul's advice from somewhere else on this forum and set up Forward Data in IA to port 5000 at IP address 127.0.0.1 but when I run btmon in server mode it never receives data.
Last night I had a breakthrough. I set up Forward Data using the CQC tab, then I checked the box to put it in server mode on port 5000 and I changed btmon to client mode. I can now read data from both ECM-1240s. Getting the data to SEG was easy.
My questions:
1. Is there any advantage to Server over Client mode?
2. Do I need to add some TIMEOUT or DELAY parameters to btmon?
3. Would it be better to Forward Data using Engine G or from sqlite using btmon?
4. How easy is it to load all of my old sqlite data up to SEG?

-Jon
Jonathan
ben
Site Admin

Re: Forward Data - Client/Server mode? CQC/btmon/SEG

Post by ben » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 am

JWHardesty wrote:I have 2 ECM-1240s sending data to wireless Etherbee set up in client mode. My Windows Home Server 2011 is running Engine G in server mode and storing the data in sqlite. I want to keep that intact as it has been rock-solid for 3 years.
I would like to forward that data to SEG but have had some trouble getting it to work. I first tried to use btmon to read from the sqlite database, but I could not make that work.
I took Paul's advice from somewhere else on this forum and set up Forward Data in IA to port 5000 at IP address 127.0.0.1 but when I run btmon in server mode it never receives data.
Last night I had a breakthrough. I set up Forward Data using the CQC tab, then I checked the box to put it in server mode on port 5000 and I changed btmon to client mode. I can now read data from both ECM-1240s. Getting the data to SEG was easy.
My questions:
1. Is there any advantage to Server over Client mode?
2. Do I need to add some TIMEOUT or DELAY parameters to btmon?
3. Would it be better to Forward Data using Engine G or from sqlite using btmon?
4. How easy is it to load all of my old sqlite data up to SEG?

-Jon
1. If it's working without any issues, just leave it as is.

3. If you want to continue using the Engine software, I would go Engine to btmon.py.

4. How long have you been logging for?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
JWHardesty

Post by JWHardesty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 am

I have been sending data to SEG for 1 day.
Engine G has been collecting data on my server for 3 years but I reset the database when installed the server 2 years ago. 140mb live data and 280mb on a old backup file.
Jonathan
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 pm

JWHardesty wrote:I have been sending data to SEG for 1 day.
Engine G has been collecting data on my server for 3 years but I reset the database when installed the server 2 years ago. 140mb live data and 280mb on a old backup file.
You could probably batch post it over, you'd need a program or something to convert the format into the SEG format and add time-stamps to each record. You'd also need to match channel identifiers.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com